Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Fnord.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Here dad, I bought you this piece of crap...  (Read 7988 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: Here dad, I bought you this piece of crap...
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2006, 01:32:52 am »

Lottery tickets.

I gave my dad lottery tickets and liquor.
Logged
ACHIEVE

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Here dad, I bought you this piece of crap...
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2006, 02:49:32 am »

One time in 8th grade a teacher was asking us what we were going to get our parents for christmas.  I said a carton of Marlboro Reds and was promptly sent to the hall. 

fuck*ng bitch teacher, that is what I got him.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Here dad, I bought you this piece of crap...
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2006, 04:33:27 pm »

Well, it turns out I kick ass, basically.

I went to a auto collector's memoribilia store - "Mike's General Store."  The store is closed, with a sign saying they'll re-open in 20 minutes.  I kick around outside, and there is a beautiful '67 Mustang out front, fully restored, with a sign in the back saying it's for sale to call "Mike."  This is basically my dream car, so I stand there oggling it, day dreaming about owning it, until the store sign is flipped to "Open." 

Inside I found a nifty ad out of a 1964 life magazine of a Mustang convertible (which I later framed nicely for dad).  When he saw it, the counter guy and I began talking about Mustangs, how he has just sold the one outside (heart break) and my life-long dream of owing a 60's 'Stang - a desire which I inherited from my dad and his love of American cars - most specifically Mustangs.  We talk about all the cars my dad has restored over the years.  Turns out the counter guy was "Mike" and that he had been out to look at a '67 Mustang for sale for restoration outside the city the day before, but that he decided he didn't have any energy to do another restoration, so he didn't buy the car.  I told Mike how my dad has a '64 fender that he has taken with him through 3 different house moves, with the dream of finally restoring the ultimate Mustang.

I leave, and my car (which is a horrible lemon) starts to overhead, smoke billows from the engine, it makes horrible noises when I try to accelerate.  But I needed to get home and leave town for two days, so I parked my car, did what needed to be done, and then we took the SO's truck out of town to return on Sunday.

The weekend is wonderful but exhausting, we go giraffeing and get totally drenched in the boat in a rain storm.  My SO's buddy who he hasn't seen for a year shows up out of the blue.  They buy fireworks, much fun is had.

We get back into town, and I remember my car and it's horrible problems, but have basically forgotten about Mike and the Mustang for sale.    We are totally exhausted, and we grab my dad's gifts and head to their place.

As Dad's unwrapping his framed mustang ad, I remember all the details of my conversation with Mike.  I tell him, and he gets more and more excited.  Seems he's looking for a car to restore, and I'm looking for a car that doesn't over heat.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Here dad, I bought you this piece of crap...
« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2006, 05:06:42 pm »

I guess the filling in the blanks part is that your dad intends to restore the car for you to drive?

But doesn't car restoration take, like, a long time?

What will you drive in the meantime?

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Here dad, I bought you this piece of crap...
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2006, 05:10:46 pm »

I will continue to drive my current, crap, overheating, '92 Mustang. 

But I basically don't need a car since I'm off all summer, and want to walk as much as possible before my joints turn to dust.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Here dad, I bought you this piece of crap...
« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2006, 09:16:14 pm »

the mustang is basically the most beautiful car of all time. i know nothing of cars, and I am not one of those men who is into them.
but I drool, every single time I see them. The old 60's ones are gorgeous, especially.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Re: Here dad, I bought you this piece of crap...
« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2006, 04:24:40 pm »

BRINGING THE THREAD BACK FROM THE DEAD.
When I was at Bonnaroo, during Father's Day, my associates and I were walking down one of the various Shakedown Streets and wandered by some sort of glassware emporium. And the barker standing in front said this:

"FORGET THE TIE! FORGET THE CARD! GET YOUR DAD WHAT HE REALLY WANTS THIS FATHER'S DAY! PIPES START AT $5, BUBBLERS AND BONGS AT $25!"
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up