Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I once had the idea that, if only for a moment each night, everyone in the world was asleep at the same time. It made the world manageable.

Poll

Choose:

Yes
- 17 (58.6%)
No
- 6 (20.7%)
Indifferent
- 6 (20.7%)

Total Members Voted: 28


Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: Do you like your first name?  (Read 17770 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Turbo Ninja

  • A Tall Glass of Tuaca
  • Mr. Bear (Cornelius)
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 125
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 689
    • View Profile
Re: Do you like your first name?
« Reply #90 on: July 10, 2006, 06:45:07 pm »

I don't go by my first name (Robert).  My dad is Bob and my grandfather was Bob, and I am another potential Bob but instead I go by my middle name, which is a derivative of my mother's maiden name.

The mother's maiden name thing might be Southern (I'm from Kentucky, allz) but I was christened as such because she's the oldest of six sisters with zero brothers to pass down the last name, so I got it as a middle name.

The only people who call me Robert, now that I'm out of school and don't have to explain myself at the start of each new term, are telephone marketers.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Do you like your first name?
« Reply #91 on: July 10, 2006, 07:06:28 pm »

(I'm from Kentucky, allz)

Really?  What part?

Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Do you like your first name?
« Reply #92 on: July 10, 2006, 07:43:51 pm »

She's still The Mayor's wife, though, right?

So Mrs. Mayor?

The First Lady of Banana Town.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Turbo Ninja

  • A Tall Glass of Tuaca
  • Mr. Bear (Cornelius)
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 125
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 689
    • View Profile
Re: Do you like your first name?
« Reply #93 on: July 10, 2006, 08:36:03 pm »

Really?  What part?



Born in Henderson, briefly raised in Owensboro, then the family bolted for Ohio.  My grandparents still live in Owensboro.  I think we've been over this before in other threads about Owensboro or barbeque or something.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Do you like your first name?
« Reply #94 on: July 10, 2006, 09:08:18 pm »

Born in Henderson, briefly raised in Owensboro, then the family bolted for Ohio.  My grandparents still live in Owensboro.  I think we've been over this before in other threads about Owensboro or barbeque or something.

Stupid memory loss!
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Do you like your first name?
« Reply #95 on: July 11, 2006, 01:18:13 am »

Wombat: I think it's more a case that I don't know that many people who are married. I know plenty of people who plan on keeping their names but they are not actually married yet and so don't count. Actually now I think of it my cousin did to and she is basically the coolest person I know so maybe I was too quick to speak earlier. Just this one woman... she left her mark on me. Scary Lady.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: Do you like your first name?
« Reply #96 on: July 11, 2006, 03:56:40 am »

My wife kept her last name, all the kids have my last name. Aside from occasionally being called Mr Johnson there have been no repercussions of this decision.

We were both divorced though - I wonder if there is a higher number of women who just keep the maiden name after changing it once already and changing it back - given the number of people who go through divorce, this could drive the statistic a little.


Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up