Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Wombat is MAD WITH POWER.

Poll

Do you wash it every day?

Yep
Not every day

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 19   Go Down

Author Topic: The washing hair debate  (Read 63000 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: The washing hair debate
« Reply #75 on: September 12, 2006, 01:27:44 pm »

Ooh, Catie del Vaca was a spectacular barfer for her first few months.  One night she got me in a perfect diagonal line across my dark blue t-shirt.  It looked like I was wearing a sash.

Yeah, we had one of those toilet-seat-holder-closers. The dumbest thing we own, in my opinion, is this big padded thingy you can put in the seat of a grocery cart, then put your kid in it.

Because a grocery cart seat is SO fuck*ng FILTHY OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: The washing hair debate
« Reply #76 on: September 12, 2006, 04:52:08 pm »

dude, as someone who has worked in a supermarket... those carts are fuck*ng gross.

that's just me, though. i would also say that rancid meat is not something you should buy, but, whatever.

(I had a dream last night that they were trying to make me come to work during times when I have classes. In the dream, the distance from here to Charlotte was not the issue-- the issue was that I had a class then. I ended up lying and telling them my mom wouldn't let me come to work.)
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: The washing hair debate
« Reply #77 on: September 12, 2006, 04:54:15 pm »

But they mark down the prices on rancid meat so much!  How do you suggest I feed my family on this budget?
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: The washing hair debate
« Reply #78 on: September 12, 2006, 09:28:25 pm »

See, my gut instinct on the toilet-lid-holder-closer is that it's the kind of thing you buy with the excuse that it will SAVE YOUR BABY'S LIFE, but in fact it just makes the baby less irritating. Like those baby-fences -- while I'm sure that those have kept some toddlers from going fatally ass-over-teakettle down the stairs, for every life saved I'm sure there are ten babies who were just safely kept away from Mommy-and-or-Daddy's study so work could get done. I doubt many toddlers are drowning in toilets, but I'm sure many toddlers have figured out that you can bang toilet lids together to make a noise and have embarked on this hobby with vigor.
Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: The washing hair debate
« Reply #79 on: September 12, 2006, 09:32:04 pm »

Gotta disagree with you on that.  When they're first learning to walk, most kids would be more than happy to fall down a flight of stairs (or climb halfway up, then fall back down) if not blocked by a gate.

That's for the stairs, anyway.  We do put a gate up between the family room and kitchen from time to time, so's we can actually cook dinner.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: The washing hair debate
« Reply #80 on: September 13, 2006, 12:40:31 am »

the thing I don't understand about the Rancid Meat issue: meat is not strictly essential. The only reason we eat it in the amount we do is that is tasty as hell. So... why buy large quantities of rancid meat? if it smells so bad that I nearly vomit, can it really taste that good?
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: The washing hair debate
« Reply #81 on: September 13, 2006, 12:44:23 am »

See, my gut instinct on the toilet-lid-holder-closer is that it's the kind of thing you buy with the excuse that it will SAVE YOUR BABY'S LIFE, but in fact it just makes the baby less irritating.

This reminds me of how everyone used to have those "Baby on board" stickers on their car, and I could never figure out why - like if I had to make a split second decision about which of two cars to crash into, I would decide to spare your baby's life?  But then I realized that they were really basically a warning sign that the driver of that car was totally distracted and sleep-deprived and it would be safer to give it a wide berth.


Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: The washing hair debate
« Reply #82 on: September 13, 2006, 05:10:46 am »

Those fences are great but I better not let Spouse catch me putting pets and toddler in the laundry room and fencing them all in again.

Who'm I kidding? This time I'll give Asherbaby a tin measuring cup to bang on the fence and take pictures while the cats look all indignant.

Hahaha, the cats all indignant from being locked away like vandals with the toddler? That gave me the best mental picture. I totally imagined Lennybruce giving me a sour-as-hell death glare while mini-Somebody nice/Suri pounds on the babygate with a half-cup measuring cup.

Actually there is this wonderful little concoction I buy from the local salon made from fresh goat cheese curds mixed with purified bile from three and a half week old baby pomeranian puppies, it smells like lavendar and brings my natural shine out a treat.

Dude, now you're just making fun of my ridiculous hair products. Insufferable, I do declare.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: The washing hair debate
« Reply #83 on: September 13, 2006, 05:13:34 am »

Wouldn't the fence basically need to be a complete door to contain a cat?

I got a visit from the neighbors cat last night.  He didn't stay long.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: The washing hair debate
« Reply #84 on: September 13, 2006, 06:01:15 am »

I am sorry Linnea, it was more making fun of the industry in general than you, I think wanting to make your hair look nice is pretty rad. I also think there are people out there who think coffee beans are better because a cat pooped them out so I am sure there is a hair care equivalent.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

kellichou

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 90
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 87
    • View Profile
Re: The washing hair debate
« Reply #85 on: September 14, 2006, 06:29:33 am »

My update on the hair-washin' debate:  I am a happy girl now that I've found a dark-tinted hair powder to shake on my roots.  See, in the last few years my hair has seemed to change suddenly from sad dry scalp all the time to uber-greasy scalp.  WTF?  (note:  my doctor says the greasiness is nothing to worry about).

I got sick of washing my hair every single day to avoid greasy roots, so sometimes, to last longer between washings, I'll shake on this brown hair powder called "Hair Fix" that I got off eBay.  Some lady in CA sells it.  It smells nice (3.5 week old Pomeranian puppy bile and all, grin), and really controls the oil slick that is my head.  Bumble & Bumble also makes an aerosol spray hair powder, but $40 for 4 oz?  No thank you.  Overpriced bastards.  The Hair Fix is $20 for 3 oz.  And besides absorbing oil and smelling nice, it's volumizing!  Woot!  And it's in a flip-top container.

I tried to use baby powder, but on almost black hair, white baby powder just won't cut it.

My goal, of course, is to figure out how to make tinted hair powder myself, so I won't have to pay $20 for 3 oz., because I am cheap like that.  But we shall see. 

The only down side to using this hair powder is that when I scratch my head, I get the powder under my nails.  Gross.  And I guess I have this weird fear that medical personnel will take one [close] look at my scalp and think that I am the filthiest person alive.  But that is only paranoia.

"Hair Fix."  It's a beautiful thing.



Logged

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Re: The washing hair debate
« Reply #86 on: September 14, 2006, 06:54:39 am »

"Hair Fix."  It's a beautiful thing.

Hmm. Is there some sort of opposite that works? I have really light, frizzy, but thick hair. So it just likes to stick out at random angles, but not even in a cool way. It has to be the most frustrating hair ever, but I am enjoying having it longer than an inch and a half for the first time in a couple of years. It used to be beyond shoulder length, but got on my nerves too much. It would curl up but not ringlety and self-contained, just... a bit of a mess.
So anyway, if there's some magical way people might know of to make it behave slightly, make it a bit oily so it weighs itself down?
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: The washing hair debate
« Reply #87 on: September 15, 2006, 03:55:37 am »

Hmm. Is there some sort of opposite that works? I have really light, frizzy, but thick hair. So it just likes to stick out at random angles, but not even in a cool way. It has to be the most frustrating hair ever, but I am enjoying having it longer than an inch and a half for the first time in a couple of years. It used to be beyond shoulder length, but got on my nerves too much. It would curl up but not ringlety and self-contained, just... a bit of a mess.
So anyway, if there's some magical way people might know of to make it behave slightly, make it a bit oily so it weighs itself down?

You basically described my hair, but it also sticks up.  People are always asking me if I got a perm because it is just like loads of curly hair going in all directions.  My advice:  Grow it out and let it do what it wants.  Well, at least that is what I do.  Oh yeah, don't grow it to long, only til it is like 3 to 5 inchs long maybe.  My hair also does this thing where it stops growing after it gets about that long.  It is kind of convenient I guess, but not if you want to grow it out a bit more.  Also, when I shave it, it only takes like 2 weeks to get to normal length before it stops growing.  (My) Hair is weird.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: The washing hair debate
« Reply #88 on: September 15, 2006, 05:27:19 am »

ok, here's one for you:

if I were to grow some kind of facial hair, and I want to keep it looking un-gross... do I wash it with soap, as is my custom (since it is on my face) or do I use shampoo? I'm sure this is a stupid question.

and to answer the Inevitable question, I am cursed with a pretty good growth of facial hair for a boy my age. it will not be one of those patchy gross beards that teenage boys grow-- it is Even. and I have a beard trimmer.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: The washing hair debate
« Reply #89 on: September 15, 2006, 05:37:31 am »

If it's short, I just wash it when I wash my face (with soap).  When I've had longer beards I would occasionally throw a little conditioner on it to make it more controllable.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 19   Go Up