Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Jumping jacks, flinging myself off of low decks, yelling into an empty bottle of carrot juice. Trying to get in writing mode.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Drugs: Still Bad  (Read 9267 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Drugs: Still Bad
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2006, 05:03:49 am »

Huh. I had read that some scientists proved that marijuana wouldn't cause cancer.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Drugs: Still Bad
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2006, 06:14:04 am »

Yea, the marijuana lung cancer thing is debatable, but I would think that it could cause it.  You just have to think--how many people smoke weed for more than like 30 years in the same quantities as people smoke cigarettes.  I have heard often that it will not cause cancer, but I am very skeptical of that.  I have also heard that it does not kill brain cells, but again I am skeptical.  I would not be surprised if it did not kill as many brain cells as alcohol, but it probably still does.  I have never understood the whole kills brain cells thing,  does that even mean anything?  I thought like all cells regenerated.  When people say that do they know what they are talking about?  I can see it like fuck*ng up a persons natural chemical levels for a long period of time but I don't know how it would kill brain cells.  Then again, I know very little about biology.

Also, I have smoked a ridiculous amount of pot as I already said and done pretty much every drug there is, but the only times I don't remember what happened are when I took oxycotin and alcohol (not together, although I did take them together, just those are the only two that caused me to forget large chunks of my life.  Oh, actually xanax and alcohol did the same, but that is only when mixed.)  I will be graduating college in four years with a gpa good enough to get into a decent post-grad program, so whatever that means.  To be fair though, me and one other guy are the only people I know that do large amounts of drugs who haven't failed at least a semester or who will graduate in 4 years.  He is actually doing it in 3 1/2, while I am doing 4 and a summer, only because I prefer taking 12 hours a semester and 6 in the summer though.

Also, again, LSD is like the safest physical drug there is.  However, my friend took over 100 hits in about a years amount of time in high school and hasn't even smoked weed in the last 4 years, ut you can totally tell he took a lot of drugs.  He is still really smart and has like a 3.9 gpa in a bio/pre med degree, just you can tell.


I guess what I was kind of trying to say here is that all types of people do drugs.  Smart, stupid, responsible and irresponsible.  It is just that the stupid and irresponsible ones get the most attention, just as in any group of people, especially ones that the government/media/large amounts of the population are against.  To use a shitty example, look at reporting/general view of non-African Americans towards African Americans from slavery to the 1950's, and, to a lesser extent, today.  Plus, 90% of the people who get attention because of their drug use do so because of stupid shit the did to get caught/stupid shit the tried to do not to get caught, etc., this just furthers the negative opinion towards all drug users, when it is a fairly small percentage of them (think of all the people doing drugs who don't get caught).
« Last Edit: August 02, 2006, 06:28:12 am by KeithHernandez »
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Re: Drugs: Still Bad
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2006, 08:25:16 am »

To my understanding, the situation is this - a cannabis cigaret you have grown and rolled yourself is less carcinogenic than a commercial tobacco cigaret, but not particularly less so than natural tobacco.

I mean, either way you are inhaling burned plant matter into your lungs. Smoke inhalation is not healthy. The difference is that the additives in commercial tobacco add more unpleasantness on top of that.
Logged

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: Drugs: Still Bad
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2006, 08:44:08 am »

As a non-smoker (of anything) and light drinker, I am interested in how marijuana could possibly be considered to have a higher net social cost than anabolic steroids.

Is it possible that the deaths are related to deals gone bad?
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Drugs: Still Bad
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2006, 09:00:21 am »

To my understanding, the situation is this - a cannabis cigaret you have grown and rolled yourself is less carcinogenic than a commercial tobacco cigaret, but not particularly less so than natural tobacco.

I mean, either way you are inhaling burned plant matter into your lungs. Smoke inhalation is not healthy. The difference is that the additives in commercial tobacco add more unpleasantness on top of that.

That is why I only smoke Natural American Spirit hand rolled.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: Drugs: Still Bad
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2006, 01:42:15 pm »

Somewhat recently, a kid (okay, a teenage boy) in my area of town (affluent and not crime-riddled, unlike the rest of the city) took a hit of LSD and stabbed his mother's boyfriend to death in broad daylight on a street in their neighbourhood, and also stabbed his mother, critically wounding her.  Apparently the kid had been suffering from depression, which could have significantly influenced his trip and caused it to go horribly wrong, but that is still some scary shit.  That kind of thing just does not happen around here, and the entire "community" was shocked.

One of the reasons I stopped smoking weed back in the day is that it caused me to have panic attacks.  People who, like me, have preexisting anxiety disorders are vulnerable to having this kind of reaction.  And if you think panic attacks suck, think about how terrifying it must be to have one while you're high.


Edited to correct a spelling error.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2006, 04:58:53 pm by Hobot »
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: Drugs: Still Bad
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2006, 01:58:47 pm »

There has to be something seriously wrong with someone to begin with if a mere one hit of LSD triggers THAT.  That is a psychotic reaction in the extreme.

I find it interesting when people are shocked (SHOCKED I TELL YOU!) that this happens in affluent suburbs.  I spent a year in high school at a Jesuit school in a very affluent neighborhood (I was there on a grant thing and had to clean lockers after school to make up the rest of my tuition) and then the next year of high school at a very economically downtrodden magnet school.  (Metal detectors and policemen and the whole mess.. it was quite a dichotomy.)  From my experience, there were WAY more drugs and ridiculousness at the Private hoity toity place.  I suspect this is because these kids could afford them.  So yes.. while you could shanked for your shoes at the magnet school, you couldn't saaaay buy acid or cocaine on lunch... both of which I witnessed at the other.

I'm just sayin' is all. 
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: Drugs: Still Bad
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2006, 02:11:38 pm »

There has to be something seriously wrong with someone to begin with if a mere one hit of LSD triggers THAT.  That is a psychotic reaction in the extreme.

I don't know, it could have been more than a single hit; he may also have been under the influence of other substances.  I think he was taking antidepressants, for instance.

I find it interesting when people are shocked (SHOCKED I TELL YOU!) that this happens in affluent suburbs.

Oh, I don't doubt that affluent areas have enormous drug problems.  My point was that it was unusual for someone to be murdered in this area of town.
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: Drugs: Still Bad
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2006, 02:18:45 pm »

I don't know, it could have been more than a single hit; he may also have been under the influence of other substances.  I think he was taking antidepressants, for instance.

Yeah that was my suspicion exactly is all I am saying.  Chemical imbalance or the likes.  I mean I'm not arguing that we should all go out and you know.. do a bunch of acid or anything, I am just saying that's really really odd.

Quote
Oh, I don't doubt that affluent areas have enormous drug problems.  My point was that it was unusual for someone to be murdered in this area of town.

Oh certainly, I was just sort of mulling over the idea.  Every time such a thing happens there's always someone at work talking "Oh you'd expect that in the city but not here!"  I wasn't implying anything else really.    See?  This is why I don't get into serious discussions mostly..

I'm gonna.. I'm just gonna back out now.
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Drugs: Still Bad
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2006, 02:19:35 pm »

so, um, I was under the impression that it was impossible to die from an OD of cannabis-- that to achieve the level which would be death-dealing like Juno, you would have to straight-up inject it in massive quantities.

so is this deaths like "I got really stoned and fell on a knife?"

Dude, you can die from an OD on water. I'm pretty sure anything can kill you in large enough quantities.
Logged

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: Drugs: Still Bad
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2006, 02:22:09 pm »

Dude, you can die from an OD on water. I'm pretty sure anything can kill you in large enough quantities.

Most people who do, however, do so because they are incapacitated (or otherwise inebriated) and DROWN before their system even overloads on the stuff. 
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Drugs: Still Bad
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2006, 02:23:41 pm »

Most people who do, however, do so because they are incapacitated (or otherwise inebriated) and DROWN before their system even overloads on the stuff. 

True, it's mostly marathon runners and whatnot who OD on water.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Drugs: Still Bad
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2006, 02:26:15 pm »

No, no, it's actually possible to break your cells with too much water.  I'd CJ it, but I'll leave that to the pros.

WE TALKED ABOUT THIS

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: Drugs: Still Bad
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2006, 02:29:11 pm »

No, no, it's actually possible to break your cells with too much water.  I'd CJ it, but I'll leave that to the pros.

WE TALKED ABOUT THIS

Yes.. I know it's possible... but I'm talking about reality and where it actually happens.. jeezus jough.. you are in taunt me mode this morning... serious :P
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Drugs: Still Bad
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2006, 02:29:52 pm »

...seratonin is a pretty rad thing to have. 

I'd like to propose that we establish a new TOUAMBIE category for "Phrases that Beef Could Have Said".  The above would be my nominee.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up