Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood My bicycle is parked in the living room. A tub of tartar sauce sits open on the counter. Truly, the evidence of a wife being away too long.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: AT&T / Yahoo / SBC DSL - Anyone use them?  (Read 2877 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
AT&T / Yahoo / SBC DSL - Anyone use them?
« on: November 01, 2006, 01:39:39 am »

Just signed up for 6mpbs service with AT&T/SBC (not the Yahoo branding, but they offer the same service) and was wondering if anyone uses them.  No Verizon service to downtown Chicago.  Comcast can eat a dick, and RCN just don't seem to bring the goods.

You must understand that internet service is more important to me than running water.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: AT&T / Yahoo / SBC DSL - Anyone use them?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2006, 02:50:48 am »

I had the SBC Yahoo, it was good.  I traded it for cable, which is faster, but has more downtime.  I've no complaints with SBC Yahoo, used it for about a year I guess.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: AT&T / Yahoo / SBC DSL - Anyone use them?
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2006, 04:39:19 am »

Yeah, the TV ads here say that cable is faster too, but here that is a damn dirty lie.  I've had Comcast cable at home and Verizon DSL in the office and the DSL kicked the cable modem's ass big time.

Also, Comcast is down at least for an hour or two a day at least twice a week.  And that's only since it's gotten better.  There was a month back in the Spring when my cable internet was down more than it was up.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: AT&T / Yahoo / SBC DSL - Anyone use them?
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2006, 05:49:45 am »

wow, really? I had/have cable in Charlotte, and it's always working. And, fast.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Sub_Topical

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 41
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 316
  • Cog -> Machine
    • View Profile
Re: AT&T / Yahoo / SBC DSL - Anyone use them?
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2006, 04:16:55 pm »

SBC/Yahoo user for 4+ years. Very good service, they even let me know when higher data rate packages were available in my area (equipment upgrade on their side) and offered a year contract at $19.95/Mo. No problems with the 3mbps package.
Logged
We must repeat!

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: AT&T / Yahoo / SBC DSL - Anyone use them?
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2006, 03:36:25 am »

I've had my 3Mbps service with The Artist Formerly Known as Pacbell for nearly two years now.  Total outages (that I've seen evidence of): 9.  Most lasted three hours or fewer, and if I'd been keeping normal hours I wouldn't have been affected for six of them aside from having to re-login to my IM programs/network apps/IRC.

Predictability and low latency are what I desire from my internet connection, and I've gotten that in spades.  While cable can peak faster than I can, I get the same download and upload rate every time I connect, and I never dip below that maximum.  My only cautions would be that A) AT&T in Chicago is not based on the same network that AT&T in San Diego is, so your results may differ, and B) My CO is located in the apartment complex, which is less than 10 years old, so I likely have a better wiring situation than you  will.

In my experience cable quality largely depends on how good the company was before GIGANTIC_CONGLOMERATE_00 bought them.
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: AT&T / Yahoo / SBC DSL - Anyone use them?
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2006, 02:54:24 pm »

I can only get the lesser 1.5mbps in my building because the wiring is so old.  I may have to get cable modem, although that may not be any better.

Right now just for surfing the SBC is fast enough - but if I want to download anything I pretty much have to do it when I don't plan on using the internet for anything else, and streaming video kinda sucks.

So I may have to double-dip on internet access for a bit.

Also, there is no cable jack in my living room.  There's one in the bedroom, but not anywhere in the main living room area.  Is that crazy?  Also, the only phone jack in the place is up front by the door.  No phone jack in the bedroom.

I asked the cable guy when he was in the lobby (to work on someone else's cable) what I'd have to do to get cable in the living room, and he couldn't believe that in the 50 years this building's been built that no one has ever had cable in their living room in my unit.

I'm slowly making a list of things to look for the next time I move to a new place.

Sub_Topical

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 41
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 316
  • Cog -> Machine
    • View Profile
Re: AT&T / Yahoo / SBC DSL - Anyone use them?
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2006, 04:24:16 pm »

Somebody mentioned something sucking sweaty balls in another thread. I find that same sentiment appropriate here.
Logged
We must repeat!
Pages: [1]   Go Up