Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

You..Are..Rad

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Cats: Small Mammals, spoiled as hell  (Read 22515 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Cats: Small Mammals, spoiled as hell
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2006, 07:02:57 am »

THIS IS WHAT CATS ARE LIKE DEEP DOWN.  Don't let them fool you!

Hahahaha, quoted for truth. Also, *****_god's reaction of "WTF ARE THOSE THINGS" was hilarious.  Under the sweet Fluffy One's coat (Milan, my folded-ear boy), he looks like a plucked Cornish game hen.

I love the photos because I thought that the similarity in the photograph between Lenny and the Sphynx kitten on the right side was uncanny. The Sphynx kitten even has a pink/black nose like Lenny does. Same thing with their face shape, whisker pads, ears, and cheekbones. However, Sphynx cats don't have whiskers, which I think is really sad. Talk about a genetically crippled individual! They're naked, prone to sunburn, and don't even have whiskers. Poor little dudes.
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Cats: Small Mammals, spoiled as hell
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2006, 09:06:47 pm »

Now you can call me malicious, but what made me laugh was the idea that you were so rough with shaving them that you plucked out one of their eyes!

Anyway, what about a serious daily brushing?  I highly recommend Zoom Groom - it works so well and takes fur off in sheets!  We have a fluffy one (it's hard to tell here, but you can bury your hand in her fur) and a not so fluffy one, and one that's so terrified of everything that I have no photo to share.  We brush em but good and hairballs are not a problem.  Also, my cats love it - it's like a kitty massage!
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Cats: Small Mammals, spoiled as hell
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2006, 10:06:01 pm »

Now you can call me malicious, but what made me laugh was the idea that you were so rough with shaving them that you plucked out one of their eyes!

Anyway, what about a serious daily brushing?  I highly recommend Zoom Groom - it works so well and takes fur off in sheets!  We have a fluffy one (it's hard to tell here, but you can bury your hand in her fur) and a not so fluffy one, and one that's so terrified of everything that I have no photo to share.  We brush em but good and hairballs are not a problem.  Also, my cats love it - it's like a kitty massage!

HEH!! Yeah, I love how the "Milan" in the shaved-cats photo looks all terrified and Cycloptic. Heh.

I am checking out the "Groom Zoom" link as I type this. As long as it doesn't make any noise, my guys should be down with it. I have a hella expensive Miele canister vacuum cleaner that is extremely quiet, and they flee the second they see me hauling it out.

EDIT: Sweet! The Groom Zoom is a rubber brush. Sweet Milan will adore that thing... I have a fine-toothed brush and he goes nuts every time I ask him if he wants "Brushies". He loves getting brushed. Lennybruce isn't so keen on getting brushies, but his coat is much leaner.
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Cats: Small Mammals, spoiled as hell
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2006, 04:24:29 am »

Yeah, it's rubber, and it sort of creates a staticly charged field as you rub with it so that the fur is attracted to the brush.  I was brushing them today and they get this sort of dazed/stoned look on their faces from the shear joy of it.  As far as I can tell you can get the Zoom Groom at almost every pet store for fairly cheap.  I'm not sure if you'll find one locally, but if not, it's easy to find - I just linked to the first site that had it.  It works equally well on the short haired one as it does on the longer haired one, and my SO's parents and grandma both use it too, which is how we got one.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Gimpson

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 16
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 592
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gimpysoft.com
Re: Cats: Small Mammals, spoiled as hell
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2006, 03:04:14 pm »

http://www.slate.com/id/2150870/

Yes, I have been following Allerca since they first announced that they were starting research.  I assumed that someday I would be so fabulously wealthy that I'd be able to afford the $4,000 for a genetically engineered allergy-free cat.  Now that I find out that they basically didn't have to do any real genetic-engineering type work and they're pretty much just cat breeders, it makes me so mad.

Also, if I remember right, that NY Times article said that the alternate-protein gene that causes the non-allergicness is dominant, so you'd actually only need one non-allergenic cat to breed with whatever and you'd have a good chance of non-allergic offspring.  I had a roommate for several years who had pretty much the only cat I've ever been around that doesn't cause me massive respiratory failure, but unfortunately that cat is fixed.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Cats: Small Mammals, spoiled as hell
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2006, 03:23:08 am »

Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Cats: Small Mammals, spoiled as hell
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2006, 04:10:51 am »

I'M IN UR THREAD, SHOWING U PICHERS

This is more disturbing than cute.  There is a line that shouldn't be crossed.  That line has been crossed on that page.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Cats: Small Mammals, spoiled as hell
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2006, 04:56:00 am »

some of them are real cute.

some are real scary.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Cats: Small Mammals, spoiled as hell
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2006, 07:39:44 am »

BWAHAHAHAAHAAHAHAHA!

Oh man, some of those are classic. I just spent like 30 minutes on a shitty, slow Alaskan connection saving dozens of those. Heh. Awesome. I put some of these on my own host.







« Last Edit: December 12, 2006, 07:43:26 am by linnea »
Logged

Sub_Topical

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 41
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 316
  • Cog -> Machine
    • View Profile
Re: Cats: Small Mammals, spoiled as hell
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2006, 04:09:14 pm »

OK, who's had their cat peer outta the new xmas tree in NEW HIDING PLACE JOY this year?
Logged
We must repeat!

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Cats: Small Mammals, spoiled as hell
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2006, 04:26:01 pm »

My parents cat is vicious, and this weekend I was home studying for finals.  I have a makeshift bedroom in the 2nd living room, which is also where we keep the tree.  I was laying by the tree writing a paper when, out of nowhere, the cat jumps on my back really swiftly, with claws out, and precedes to run away.  It ruined my favorite shirt.  It maybe a happy new hiding place for her, but it was a horrible experience for me. 

The really sucky thing about this is that there are like 4 awesome stray cats that hang out in my apartment complex that I feed and let come in for rain and stuff.  My parents could have had one of those, but noooo, they had to get some asshole cat.  That is the thing about cats; they are either like a million times cooler than dogs, or complete jerks.  There is really no way to train a cat to be cool like a dog, just a fuck*ng lottery.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Cats: Small Mammals, spoiled as hell
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2006, 04:55:14 pm »

See our cats are genearally cool as all hell, but are occasionally such jerks that it's mind blowing.  They're all like "oh, you're not feeling well?  Well purr, purr, purr, I'm going to lay on you will the gentle warmth and rumble of my purrs lulls you to sleep."  But then they're all "I'm going to bite the other cat on the anus!"  Bite!

Also, our cats aren't using the tree as a hiding place, but one of them totally rocks out on napping on the cozy quilted tree skirt.  However, they are all clearly disappointed that our new tree stand doesn't allow for them to drink from the reservoir.  They all came over when the tree went up, clearly expecting the regular supply of fresh, Balsam-y infused water, and then looked over at us, like "What the hell?"

Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Sub_Topical

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 41
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 316
  • Cog -> Machine
    • View Profile
Re: Cats: Small Mammals, spoiled as hell
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2006, 05:53:55 pm »

Quote from: Smells
"I'm going to bite the other cat on the anus!"  Bite!

Crappity crap-damn!

It's like you're some kind of writer or something. Jeebus make the lachrymose eruptions stopity stop.

The older cat is pissed this year as the tree is on a end table this year and so she can not perch.
Logged
We must repeat!

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Cats: Small Mammals, spoiled as hell
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2006, 08:31:18 pm »

smells-- do your cats do that too? if my parents are ever sick, the cats take turns sitting by them.

if I am sick, they ignore me. just like they normally do.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Cats: Small Mammals, spoiled as hell
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2006, 08:34:31 pm »

See our cats are genearally cool as all hell, but are occasionally such jerks that it's mind blowing.  They're all like "oh, you're not feeling well?  Well purr, purr, purr, I'm going to lay on you will the gentle warmth and rumble of my purrs lulls you to sleep."  But then they're all "I'm going to bite the other cat on the anus!"  Bite!


This only seems like contradictory behavior if you assume that they are being nice to you when you are sick. If instead you assume that they are just using you for your body heat when you are lying down and they can get comfortable on you... then you see that they are actually jerks all the time.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up