Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Hydroponic seltzer clams.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: The Introductory Album Thread  (Read 22939 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: The Introductory Album Thread
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2006, 07:24:47 am »

Jough, about the Lou Reed, how about Rock and Roll Music?

Just acquired Giant Steps by Coltrane, pretty fuckin' awesome and I don't really even like jazz, I just like Coltrane (and Miles when Coltrane plays with him).

I just acquired Loaded, but VU grows on my slowly.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: The Introductory Album Thread
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2006, 07:29:40 am »

Loaded? Any Violent Femmes album that isn't the first one? what? what?

I would say the first album is the best in both cases. But, you know, they're all good.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: The Introductory Album Thread
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2006, 01:52:21 pm »

Speaking of Elvis Costello: I only have a greatest hits collection, which I really like, but for some reason it never prompted me to buy any others.  Should I?  I guess partly my hesitation is that I have gotten kind of creeped out by him writing songs with Burt Bachrach and that sort of thing so I haven't thought about it.

Also, I think I should buy a Pogues album.  Someone yell at me till I do it, please?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: The Introductory Album Thread
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2006, 02:05:28 pm »

Loaded? Any Violent Femmes album that isn't the first one? what? what?

I would say the first album is the best in both cases. But, you know, they're all good.

I feel like I just slipped into that KitH sketch about The Doors.
Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: The Introductory Album Thread
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2006, 03:30:03 pm »

Linnea mentioned Iron & Wine.  Hard to go wrong with any of his material, really, though if I had to pick one for you to get first I'd say "Our Endless Numbered Days."
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: The Introductory Album Thread
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2006, 04:02:56 pm »

The Pogues:  I have If I should Fall From Grace... and Rum Sodomy and Lash (I believe at someone on this boards advice).  I love Rum Sodomy and Lash, but don't like if I should Fall From Grace that much.  Are there any others more like Rum Sodomy...?  Also, the guy in the Pogues ( i am not going to look up his name now but sometimes I know it) was in some punk bands before the pogues, any suggestions on that?

As the Pogues are my favourite band and Shane MacGowan my approximate idol, I was hoping some would ask about them.

The big thing about the Pogues is that each of their albums don't necessarily overlap with their follow up or preceding album. The best I can recommend you is Red Roses For Me, because Peace and Love (the next after If I Should Fall From Grace...) continues the eclectic mix started on If I Should Fall From Grace. Red Roses For Me is definitely their most Irish-folky mixed with punky, and as such should please an avid fan of the old Rum, Sodomy and the Lash.

As for MacGowan's other bands beforehand: The Nipple Erectors/The Nips. Also, Shane MacGowan and the Popes are supposed to be none too bad but I've never had the pleasure of listening to them much. As an aside: I'm seeing the motherfuck*ng Pogues in a little under a fuck*ng month! Fuck yes!

My one penny on the Talking Heads situation: It all depends. Between 77 and Little Creatures (don't bother with Naked) you will get some very different albums. While I love every single one for it's different reasons, I'd definitely go for 77 to start with. It's clever, arty pop that I think is pretty accessible; not necessarily representative of their oeuvre in general, but a good lead in.

Also, we are getting a LOT of disagreement on the Smiths. I'd say if you already have Meat Is Murder, it's hard to go wrong in picking another. Louder than Bombs I think has some terrible chaff but is otherwise excellent, same with Strangeways... come to think of it, pretty much everything they wrote.

But, I recommend their debut if only because it has the MOTHERfuck*ng SUBLIME Reel Around the Fountain.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2006, 04:16:50 pm by JudyIsADickSlap »
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: The Introductory Album Thread
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2006, 04:23:37 pm »

Speaking of Elvis Costello: I only have a greatest hits collection, which I really like, but for some reason it never prompted me to buy any others.  Should I?  I guess partly my hesitation is that I have gotten kind of creeped out by him writing songs with Burt Bachrach and that sort of thing so I haven't thought about it.

Also, I think I should buy a Pogues album.  Someone yell at me till I do it, please?

The last post got a bit full, so I'll continue with things here. Get Rum, Sodomy and the Lash for starters, and If I Should Fall From Grace With God as a follow up. You are bound by physics to like one or the other, or both. YELL YELL YELL.

Also, a friend real big into the Fall (great band, start with This Nations Saving Grace, if you want) recommended that I listen to Public Image LTD.  I have no idea who they are.

Know the Sex Pistols? Johnny 'Moron' Rotten went on to do this, with such other musical greats as Jah Wobble. Not that the aforementioned Rotten is by any stretch of the imagination a musical great. Anyway, they were basically a pretty funky dub/avant garde etc. band. I think. I never enjoyed them too much, but I think you might, afraid I can't recommend an album. It's worth getting at least one song just to hear how fuck*ng great Mr Wobble's bass tone is. It's impossibly deep and very funky.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

FlipConstantine

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 20
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 322
  • In my hood homeboys state the obvious.
    • View Profile
    • Mac Fag Confidential
Re: The Introductory Album Thread
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2006, 04:34:42 pm »

Elvis Costello: Go with This Year's Model. 
Logged
Everyday I'm hustlin.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: The Introductory Album Thread
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2006, 05:25:53 pm »

Wombat:movies::CortJstr:music

The only two Costello songs I've ever heard are the one from Austin Powers 2 and Monkey to a Man. Is the latter at all representative of his other work?

I'm afraid that it's going to be like The Decemberists, where I heard July, July! and liked it then found out the hard way that the rest of their songs are basically boredom concentrated and distilled into digital form.
Logged

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: The Introductory Album Thread
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2006, 05:33:52 pm »

Alright, time to drop the proverbial bomb. I know you guys here are absolutely in love with them, but I don't own any of TMBG's stuff. This is mostly on account of all their songs I've heard sounding like shit, but I know you guys have good taste so I'm wondering if I'm missing something.

Any recommendations?
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: The Introductory Album Thread
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2006, 05:42:44 pm »

If you really want a TMBG sampler, I would advise picking up one of the greatest-hits/retrospective album; I believe I have The User's Guide To They Might Be Giants. which is a broad-focus retrospective. The thing about TMBG is that they have a wide range of sounds over their career, so it is entirely possible you will like some albums and hate others. Get a good retrospective and consider picking up the albums that feature tracks you like.

More specifically: which TMBG songs have you heard, and which did you hate?
Logged

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: The Introductory Album Thread
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2006, 05:47:12 pm »

More specifically: which TMBG songs have you heard, and which did you hate?

Most of them have come in from the radio and other miscellaneous sources, and I'd be hard pressed to give you names... do they have hits? It's probably one of those. Also, does the Malcolm in the Middle theme tune count? Because to my ears, it's really fuck*ng awful; as you've mentioned, though, it's probably not a song that defines them as a whole.

Sorry I can't be more specific! I do apologise. I might be a hopeless case here.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: The Introductory Album Thread
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2006, 05:58:32 pm »

Wombat:movies::CortJstr:music


Oh, surely not.

Judy, as for TMBG, I like them, but I think that this is very much a question on which reasonable people can differ.  They could just not be your sort of thing. There are moods in which they are the very last thing I would listen to so I can understand.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: The Introductory Album Thread
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2006, 06:10:59 pm »

Judy, do you like any of the following:

Don't Let's Start: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuCfnQiiyMU
Birdhouse in Your Soul: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoXiOQIZ_Sw
Doctor Worm: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKoZvy1Km2U
Exquisite Dead Guy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swEQ6nG4GbA
Experimental Film: http://www.homestarrunner.com/expfilm.html

That's a sampling from a few different albums. If you like none of them then I say it's time to give up.
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: The Introductory Album Thread
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2006, 06:42:09 pm »

Quote from: CortJstr
I feel like I just slipped into that KitH sketch about The Doors.

"Greatest hits records are for housewives... and little girls."
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Up