Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
that someone should really go fix up the Achewood Wiki, the Achewiki, which could serve as a knowledge base for all things Achewood?

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: I quit this phone call! I quit it one thousand times! - January 15 2007  (Read 4785 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: I quit this phone call! I quit it one thousand times! - January 15 2007
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2007, 03:04:51 pm »

Smells, you worked for a credit card company right? This might have been beyond your power but is there anyway to lower APR short of signing up a new card that advertises fixed APR?
Logged

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: I quit this phone call! I quit it one thousand times! - January 15 2007
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2007, 03:13:21 pm »

Next frame: "YOU ARE DONE fuck*ng ME, HAJUL"

Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: I quit this phone call! I quit it one thousand times! - January 15 2007
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2007, 03:44:51 pm »

Smells, you worked for a credit card company right? This might have been beyond your power but is there anyway to lower APR short of signing up a new card that advertises fixed APR?

Call your current card and ask to cancel the account.  If they ask if there's anything they can do to retain your business, say "Yeah, lower my interest rate."

Of course, they might also skip that question and go straight to "OK, nice knowing you, bye."  But considering how omnipresent credit card offers are these days, it's probably worth a shot.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: I quit this phone call! I quit it one thousand times! - January 15 2007
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2007, 09:21:57 pm »

Smells, you worked for a credit card company right? This might have been beyond your power but is there anyway to lower APR short of signing up a new card that advertises fixed APR?

That's a tricky question, as some cards have an absolutely fixed rate while others do not.  Personally I find the false-threat method unnecessary.  The better way to go, especially if you like your card otherwise is to make yourself sound like a good customer - even if it's not totally true saying "If you are able to lower my interest rate, I will use this card more often/for larger purchases" is the best way to get an honest answer.   

The card I worked for was a fixed rate, and there simply wasn't a way to lower the rate - it was technically impossible without admin privileges, and even then totally illegal and would definitly have resulted in firing - it was a card with very high loyalty points rewards though.  It all balances out.  If you're talking about a card that you will carry a balance on from month to month, I highly recommend a lower interest rate vs points or any other rewards though - it's not worth the expense.

Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: I quit this phone call! I quit it one thousand times! - January 15 2007
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2007, 03:58:25 am »

The main problem is my safety card that I've had since college. Over the years they upgraded me from the college card to gold to platinum but have left the APR at 19-year-old-with-no-credit-score levels. Since it's my backup I can go months without using it so I'm not sure how much they even want to keep me as a customer.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: I quit this phone call! I quit it one thousand times! - January 15 2007
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2007, 05:09:33 am »

Why not just close the account and get a new safety card?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: I quit this phone call! I quit it one thousand times! - January 15 2007
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2007, 06:33:40 am »

I have some experience with this India business, as my current company has a "partner" team in India who sometimes are inflicted on various US teams.  Here are the benefits of their work:

1. They cost $2.50 an hour.
2. They are sometimes better at figuring out what someone means than a chatbot would be.
3. They make amusing mistakes*.

That's about it.  Our India team is horribly inefficient, usually ending up costing more than American workers per task accomplished, and if there is any ambiguity they will either a) freeze up and send confusing emails asking questions or b) panic, discarding the two most obvious options and choosing a third, inventively horrible one.  We've learned not to let them do anything that involves an opinion or a judgement call.

*This is only a bonus if you don't have to clean up after it.
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: I quit this phone call! I quit it one thousand times! - January 15 2007
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2007, 08:05:40 am »

you can save yourself a lot of aggravation by just outsourcing to China from the get-go.  Those little ching-chong fuckers know how to write a motherfuck*ng device driver.

That explains the install.exe on some internal software we outsourced.  Its icon is just this FURIOUS lookin' drawing of a ding dong.
Logged

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: I quit this phone call! I quit it one thousand times! - January 15 2007
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2007, 08:17:10 am »

Having to deal with the Indian call center for United was probably the closest I have ever come to being a racist person. For the ten or twenty seconds after each call ended, I was filled with all sorts of racist rage. Then I came to my senses.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: I quit this phone call! I quit it one thousand times! - January 15 2007
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2007, 01:47:22 pm »

Why not just close the account and get a new safety card?

Inertia.
Logged
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up