Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

But Pat, the Cure is silly! It is silly to like The Cure!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: February 2, 2007 - "you just walk right in"  (Read 11780 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: February 2, 2007 - "you just walk right in"
« Reply #45 on: February 03, 2007, 06:49:54 pm »

The first step to becoming the Guys and Ladies that Rule, I think, is being comfortable admitting that... temporarily... we are the Guys and Ladies that Suck. I'm pretty sure Al Franken said that.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: February 2, 2007 - "you just walk right in"
« Reply #46 on: February 03, 2007, 07:17:43 pm »

saying I'm depressed almost defines redundancy.
because you are in graduate school. You're just normal.

I just spent my Saturday morning cleaning out about three dozen rotten old fruit-fly colony jars that smelled like vomit, for almost no money in a job that may very well be a dead end, and did I mention it is Saturday, and I thought "Whee! At least I am not in academia anymore!"

Of course your mileage will hopefully vary in the long run but probably you should be glad you're not weird enough to be happy in graduate school.

Also I hope next time I am drunk I remember to say "I am so in an altered neurochemical state where I am not afraid of the fuck*ng police!"
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: February 2, 2007 - "you just walk right in"
« Reply #47 on: February 03, 2007, 07:22:41 pm »

I am pretty proud that I have not yet made a post that basically consisted of "I am drunk! Shit!"

also, to clarify, I was not trying to say that me being a puss about cold weather was in any way on a level with depression. I was just bringing up a topic which is on my mind a lot.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2007, 08:16:45 pm by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Re: February 2, 2007 - "you just walk right in"
« Reply #48 on: February 03, 2007, 10:59:46 pm »

I enjoy the cold. Not, like, Alaska cold, but Boston cold and what little cold Philadelphia gets. Rolling up my sleeves and breathing cold air deeply is about the only time I stand up straight.
Logged

Alternate

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 51
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 141
  • the dinosaurs died for your sins
    • View Profile
Re: February 2, 2007 - "you just walk right in"
« Reply #49 on: February 04, 2007, 12:43:32 am »

I'm the kind of person who always feels uncomfortable about making conversation in an altered neurochemical state that consists entirely of "hey, I'm in an altered neurochemical state!" Going around being depressed and only talking about my depression strikes me as the equivalent of those people who get drunk and loudly proclaim how drunk they are, except that I am rather less likely to wake up the next morning non-depressed and vaguely ashamed. (Well, okay, I'm likely to wake up ashamed, but, y'know.) I mean... to be blunt, it's on the same level as "dude, I am so drunk!" in that nobody really cares, and it is also frequently as obvious. When I'm eating one meal a day of whatever-comes-to-mind at an essentially random time, only sleeping between the hours of 10 AM and 6 PM, and leaving the apartment only after great deliberation, saying I'm depressed almost defines redundancy.

Up until a few days ago my eating/sleeping/leaving-the-house schedule was just like this.  I'm also a grad student. 

If one has to overshare about current neurochemical states, I'd rather it be about positive ones. "I am so drunk!" is almost okay if the drunk person is basically happy, and one of the best conversations I ever had with a college friend of mine took place after, after years of sexual frustration, he finally got laid and as a result was effusively happy about everything. It's fun to talk about how suddenly colors are brighter and the world contains an infinite capacity for joy.

Ordinarily this may be somewhat true, but I think the fact that this strip came out makes this the time and place to declare, "Oh man!  I am so fucked up on depression right now!" in an almost-jubilant manner. 

The first step to becoming the Guys and Ladies that Rule, I think, is being comfortable admitting that... temporarily... we are the Guys and Ladies that Suck. I'm pretty sure Al Franken said that.

Seriously. 

Also, I hear he's running for senator of some state. 
Logged
Science fun fact:  Did you know that sharks are the awesomest of all animals?

Bjorn the Destroyer

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 8
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 67
  • By Odin's beard!
    • View Profile
Re: February 2, 2007 - "you just walk right in"
« Reply #50 on: February 04, 2007, 02:56:43 am »

Whenever my friend says "Dude I am so high". I make a point of hurting him. I hope that by doing this he associates that sentence with facial pain. This I believe.

I am so lonely.
Logged
3-6-9 12-15-18 21-24-27 30

coldfrog

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 30
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 165
  • From Shakespeare's Lights upon Friday's Eve
    • View Profile
    • Some crappy pictures I do sometimes
Re: February 2, 2007 - "you just walk right in"
« Reply #51 on: February 04, 2007, 08:17:45 pm »

Although I have experienced this before, what really allows me to empathize with Beef is the way when he is in it deep he tends to sleep on the floor.  I remember when I was living in my dorm (and even on recent occasions) I would seek out the most uncomfortable place and stay there till I was too tired to be awake.  The floor was a popular spot, but so was that hard-ass chair that came with the room.  Once I sat in the corner between the bed and the window with a bowl of ramen and a book that I didn't need to read for any class at all and pretty much didn't leave it until dinner the next day.  That was probably the lowest point I can recall.

(I debated about whether or not to post this for a while, but I decided if we're going to talk about it, I might as well get it off my chest.  Which of course is another thing.  Have you ever sat in front of a computer with just a blinking cursor at the end of a post with some meaning and just can't bring yourself to hit the Send button because you are critiquing your writing to the farthest extremes?  Yeah, me too.)
Logged
Let no man put asunder what I believe is thee proper attyre for footballe.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: February 2, 2007 - "you just walk right in"
« Reply #52 on: February 04, 2007, 09:10:58 pm »

so, in other words, it is a sign that I do not have a Problem that I can justify posting any damn thing that enters my mind? Phew. I was beginning to think it was a negative quality.

(I am just kidding! don't think I am making fun!)
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: February 2, 2007 - "you just walk right in"
« Reply #53 on: February 05, 2007, 12:12:20 am »

In general I prefer the cold to the heat, because I sweat when I exercise (read: walk for two blocks) even in the icy cold, so the summer is just death to me.

Having said that, the high today was 5F, and it's -5F now, with 25mph winds which makes the wind chill like -20F.  It has been brutally cold for the past three days or so - so much so that even though I did have to go out and do things, I didn't enjoy them as much.

iron_felix

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 373
    • View Profile
Re: February 2, 2007 - "you just walk right in"
« Reply #54 on: February 05, 2007, 05:23:53 am »

I went out for a walk yesterday wearing nothing but jeans and a t-shirt.  The air was fresh and the flowers had just started to come into bloom.  The pool at my apartment complex reopened just a couple weeks ago, and had only been closed for remodeling purposes to begin with; already several people were lounging around nearby, sipping cold beer and working on their tans.

I love Arizona.

It will be everyone else's turn to laugh in August, when I drop my car keys in the parking lot and have to pull them out of the molten tarmac.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: February 2, 2007 - "you just walk right in"
« Reply #55 on: February 05, 2007, 05:41:47 am »

I am realizing, quickly, that I am a California boy at heart.

I should have known this when my mom told me about how I cried when we moved to Chicago. I thought it would be Winter forever. Probably because I was not used to "seasons."

Although I am trying to deal with the weather by "just not thinking about it," per the recommendations of my mom. Of course, this was based on when we lived in Chicago... and she drove a car around.

The main issue is really that I'm just not used to having to bundle up at all. So every day I get up and have to consciously think about how cold it is. So I suppose it will be better when it's just habit.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Bjorn the Destroyer

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 8
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 67
  • By Odin's beard!
    • View Profile
Re: February 2, 2007 - "you just walk right in"
« Reply #56 on: February 05, 2007, 06:27:35 am »

I only know of two seasons. Rainy and Dry. And those can get fuzzy.

It got below freezing on my college campus the other day, and I slipped and fell on a patch of black ice, and I felt betrayed.
Logged
3-6-9 12-15-18 21-24-27 30

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: February 2, 2007 - "you just walk right in"
« Reply #57 on: February 05, 2007, 06:37:34 am »

weirdly, I have not slipped since I got here. I mean, it's only snowed 3 times, though. I feel betrayed that it is constantly cold without snowing here. I would put up with cold weather more readily if it snowed more often.

edit: OK, people, do I post too often? Because my PPD is currently at nearly 5. And I have more posts than several of the OG's. So. I feel like I need to take a Hiatus like Q.
But I won't, probably.
Although maybe then we could hang out, considering he lives... about a 10 minute walk away from me.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2007, 06:47:30 am by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Alternate

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 51
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 141
  • the dinosaurs died for your sins
    • View Profile
Re: February 2, 2007 - "you just walk right in"
« Reply #58 on: February 05, 2007, 07:30:23 am »

I am realizing, quickly, that I am a California boy at heart.

California is amazing.  The other day I was in salt lake city, and I was really tempted to steal a car and drive to california.  I grew up on the east coast, but randomly moved to california with an SO I barely knew five years ago.  I did this because:
A) I was twenty, and it was time to move 3000 miles for no reason,
B) the word "california" ends with an "-ia," as do the words "narnia" and "fantasia," and
C) the weather in the town where I was headed is designed for complete wusses, and I am one. 
Now I live in a place with winter, and I'm starting to think it's better to have a crappy life in california than a good life in a wintery place.  If someone breaks your heart in a coastal town in northern california, you can mourn your loss by riding your bike to a sunny beach and jumping in the water.  If you live in a cold place and something good happens, you can celebrate by shovelling the walk.  So those of you who are not depressed but who live in cold places have my sincere condolences. 

OK, people, do I post too often? Because my PPD is currently at nearly 5. And I have more posts than several of the OG's. So. I feel like I need to take a Hiatus like Q.
But I won't, probably.

I probably don't have much sway on this issue since I haven't been around here long, but for the record your posts frequently make me happy, so I vote No on the hiatus.
Logged
Science fun fact:  Did you know that sharks are the awesomest of all animals?

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: February 2, 2007 - "you just walk right in"
« Reply #59 on: February 05, 2007, 07:38:11 am »

I probably don't have much sway on this issue since I haven't been around here long, but for the record your posts frequently make me happy, so I vote No on the hiatus.
quoted for truth
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up