(I'm probably the last to catch on to this)
Clearly, you're not. I'm still reeling. What a birthday surprise!
JL-- you get to hear my "oh shit, this is an answering machine" voice.
..awkward.
I knew it was you! Since you didn't identify yourself I was going to be all "hey guess what one of you called me and didn't say who it was but due to my
incredible powers of perception I have deduced that it was...theinevitable!" And I was going to be right. But now you've spilled the beans and my superior intellect is once again irrelevant. Ah, well. Back to reality, I suppose. Just one question...how did you get my
home number?
Also thanks for the text message from smick. I grinned. Not unlike this:

And thanks to everyone else for the kind wishes here. I had a really fantastic day, relatively uneventful in the way that is nice. My son behaved in public for several hours at a stretch, and the traffic light fairy smiled upon me all afternoon. I never got in touch with my friend for lunch, and Mom bailed on keilbasa due to a stomach bug, but Pedro took me to my favorite restaurant and I was able to shop all afternoon at my own pace. I bought a wedding gift for my brother-in-law, three tops on clearance and some yarn for a charity shawl. I considered a pair of leopard-print ballet flats, but decided to wait and see if they go on sale.
A good day.