Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

HIDE YOUR SHAME
by wearing new t-shirts from Word Front Wares. Shroud yourself in pure unadulterated awesome.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: March 2007 - in like a blog, out like a lamb  (Read 6780 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: March 2007 - in like a blog, out like a lamb
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2007, 06:34:10 pm »

OK, I guess the man has the right to only eat homemade mayonnaise. I am trying not to hold it against him. But next time he misses a comic I am going to send him a jar of Hellmann's and suggest that it might leave him time for other priorities.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: March 2007 - in like a blog, out like a lamb
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2007, 08:33:00 pm »

OK, I guess the man has the right to only eat homemade mayonnaise. I am trying not to hold it against him. But next time he misses a comic I am going to send him a jar of Hellmann's and suggest that it might leave him time for other priorities.

With him living on the west coast tasting Hellman's would be a novel experience.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: March 2007 - in like a blog, out like a lamb
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2007, 08:34:46 pm »

With him living on the west coast tasting Hellman's would be a novel experience.

Don't they have the same stuff only by a different name out there?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: March 2007 - in like a blog, out like a lamb
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2007, 08:38:25 pm »

Don't they have the same stuff only by a different name out there?

Supposedly Best Foods actually tastes different because when BF bought Hellmann's they decided to keep the different recipes so as not to piss people off. But this was like 80 years ago now so I'm guessing that the recipes have changed a bit.
Logged

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: March 2007 - in like a blog, out like a lamb
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2007, 09:40:56 pm »

A home batch of mayonnaise? Damn. Doesn't he have some $500 Cuisinart or KitchenAid mixer to do the work for him in preparing the mayo?

Also, I thought that I was bad with the grocery expenditures. However, I don't count wine as a grocery item.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: March 2007 - in like a blog, out like a lamb
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2007, 10:19:29 pm »

I wish you hadn't said that. Now I'm thinking he's not only so pretentious that he only eats homemade mayo, he may also be so pretentious that he will only make it by hand with a wisk instead of the with the blender.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: March 2007 - in like a blog, out like a lamb
« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2007, 10:22:34 pm »

In his defense, he cannot trust store-bought mayonnaise.

People might be drugging it in hopes of luring him into Maximum Cuddles.

People on the internet.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: March 2007 - in like a blog, out like a lamb
« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2007, 10:37:46 pm »

In his defense, he cannot trust store-bought mayonnaise.

People might be drugging it in hopes of luring him into Maximum Cuddles.

People on the internet.

Or it might be the result of Maximum Cuddles...
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: March 2007 - in like a blog, out like a lamb
« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2007, 11:00:31 pm »

So that's the tangy zip in Miracle Whip.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: March 2007 - in like a blog, out like a lamb
« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2007, 03:46:29 am »

I wish you hadn't said that. Now I'm thinking he's not only so pretentious that he only eats homemade mayo, he may also be so pretentious that he will only make it by hand with a wisk instead of the with the blender.

For what it's worth, I can taste a difference (kind of big difference actually) between hand-whisked mayo and food processor mayo.  That could be because of some taint in my (ancient) food processor or some other unrelated reason (I haven't conducted a controlled experiment with double blinds or anything).  The food processor mayo I made I didn't like at all, which is probably a very good thing because if I did I'd be eating hell of homemade mayo and thereby clogging the shit out of my arteries (worse than already...)  At least if I hand whisk mayo I'm getting some exercise to offset the coronary choking goodness.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: March 2007 - in like a blog, out like a lamb
« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2007, 04:13:13 am »

the mayo in the potato salad I bought from the grocery store is so sub-par.

it makes me mad, because normally I buy the mustard-based one, and that shit is amazing. But they were out.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

FutureDeadPerson

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 16
  • ARBLE GABBLE GOBBLE GREEBLE
    • View Profile
Re: March 2007 - in like a blog, out like a lamb
« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2007, 12:44:41 am »

I work at a nice sit down restaurant and I make the potato salad for the Friday giraffe Fry.*  The mayo is bought in bulk, therefore it is garbage.  However, I have been told numerous times that I make the best potato salad in town, possibly even county.  I do put a glorious helping of spicy hossradish mustard in it.  That is really the key ingredient.  That and love.



Gross.  :'(




*Wisconsin tradition


Edit: Speeling
« Last Edit: April 02, 2007, 12:53:45 am by FutureDeadPerson »
Logged

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: March 2007 - in like a blog, out like a lamb
« Reply #42 on: April 02, 2007, 01:31:10 am »

Apparently fresh mayo tastes better but you can only keep it a week. I found a basic mayonnaise recipe here. I guess you don't use egg whites, just yolks? Weird. Does it taste better than a food processor if you use a hand mixer? do you use a whisk, AW? So many questions.

I really like garlic aioli on panini and whatnot. Oh! The Food Network has a recipe for that very thing from Emeril, which appears to be mayonnaise with garlic cloves added in. Hmmm.

Garlic Aioli
Recipe Courtesy of Emeril Lagasse
Show:     Emeril Live
Episode:     Soup N' Sandwich
3 garlic cloves, chopped
*1 large egg
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 turns freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup olive oil

Combine the garlic, egg, lemon juice, parsley, salt and pepper in a food processor or blender and puree. Add the oil in a slow stream and continue to process until the mixture has formed a thick emulsion.

Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: March 2007 - in like a blog, out like a lamb
« Reply #43 on: April 02, 2007, 01:34:37 am »

Well, like I said, my food processor mayo didn't taste very good.  I only tried it once, so it could have been because of some unrelated factor.  There could have been something in the bowl, or the oil could have been off or something.  But generally, yes, I use a whisk when I make mayo.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: March 2007 - in like a blog, out like a lamb
« Reply #44 on: April 02, 2007, 01:35:29 am »

One day, I will make my own mayo.

Oh, who am I kidding?
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up