Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Is eaten food technically rotting inside you? It's pretty warm in there. Technically, we all not only live in, but *are* "the danger zone."

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Am I nuts for having this bug me?  (Read 7411 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Am I nuts for having this bug me?
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2007, 03:23:58 pm »

Ding ding ding! I was wondering if someone would get it right right off the bat. Are you a sabermetrician?

I am!  I'm a big stats-lovin' baseball fan dork (with the unfortunate lot in life to be a fan of the Washington Nationals).  Tell your dad he's awesome.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Am I nuts for having this bug me?
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2007, 10:08:16 pm »

I am!  I'm a big stats-lovin' baseball fan dork (with the unfortunate lot in life to be a fan of the Washington Nationals).  Tell your dad he's awesome.

Ha ha, I got it first. So . . . I'll just go, then, shall I?
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

RMJ12345

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 45
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 381
  • all employing the principles of hopping
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: Am I nuts for having this bug me?
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2007, 10:11:52 pm »

Quote
I'm a big stats-lovin' baseball fan dork (with the unfortunate lot in life to be a fan of the Washington Nationals).

You know, it's funny, I've lived in Virginia for 3 years but I've still only seen the Nats once. I'm trying to con my boyfriend (who's not a fan) into going to see a game with me when we're up in DC for a concert next month, but so far, no dice.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Am I nuts for having this bug me?
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2007, 11:08:13 pm »

You know, it's funny, I've lived in Virginia for 3 years but I've still only seen the Nats once. I'm trying to con my boyfriend (who's not a fan) into going to see a game with me when we're up in DC for a concert next month, but so far, no dice.

There are like 5 of us in the DC area. Why did you not mention your proximity before?
Logged

RMJ12345

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 45
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 381
  • all employing the principles of hopping
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: Am I nuts for having this bug me?
« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2007, 11:14:00 pm »

Quote
There are like 5 of us in the DC area. Why did you not mention your proximity before?

Well, I have only been posting for about a week. Where do you all live? I'm not in the DC area exactly, I'm in Southwestern VA, about 3 hours away.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Am I nuts for having this bug me?
« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2007, 11:28:07 pm »

There are like 5 of us in the DC area. Why did you not mention your proximity before?

Because we're too scary?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Am I nuts for having this bug me?
« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2007, 12:49:17 am »

Well, I have only been posting for about a week. Where do you all live? I'm not in the DC area exactly, I'm in Southwestern VA, about 3 hours away.

I'm in Arlington, Carlos is in Centerville, Wombat's in Silver Spring, and Bobby is around somewhere in Fairfax county.

Not that she's around any more but Hobot lives in Richmond but goes to school elsewhere.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Am I nuts for having this bug me?
« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2007, 09:36:58 pm »

OK, am I nuts for having this bother me?

Why do people pluralize with apostrophe + S? Can I execute those people with impunity?

Also, as an adjunct, is it OK for me to arbitrarily decide that even acronyms cannot be pluralized in such a fashion? I'm a descriptivist, and I have decided that I am just going to do my best to institue this method of pluralizing, and hope that it catches on. It will help that I belittle people when they do this.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Am I nuts for having this bug me?
« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2007, 09:43:44 pm »

OK, am I nuts for having this bother me?

Why do people pluralize with apostrophe + S? Can I execute those people with impunity?

One of my daughter's preschool teachers has a bumper sticker on her car reading "Real American's Buy American".  Every single-dingle-day I see that atrocity and have to marshal my politeness resources before dropping her off.  Fortunately, I have no expectations of grammar education at the school.  If they can get her to share, take turns, and poop in the potty I'll consider the venture a success.  So far it's 2/3, with 5 months to go.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Re: Am I nuts for having this bug me?
« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2007, 09:44:21 pm »

Why do people pluralize with apostrophe + S? Can I execute those people with impunity?

Why do people spell pluralise with a z?
But no, seriously, I think it comes down to the fact that so many damn people can't write properly. Who decided for instance, that it was alright to say that something 'made me wow'? What the fuck is that?
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Am I nuts for having this bug me?
« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2007, 09:47:57 pm »

Also, as an adjunct, is it OK for me to arbitrarily decide that even acronyms cannot be pluralized in such a fashion? I'm a descriptivist, and I have decided that I am just going to do my best to institue this method of pluralizing, and hope that it catches on. It will help that I belittle people when they do this.

I got into this habit because of Word. At work if I write RFs then Word will change it to Rfs. Granted, I could hit Ctrl+z to undo the autocorrection each time but I'm a lazy man so I go with RF's
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Am I nuts for having this bug me?
« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2007, 02:22:01 am »

I have a question for Rumjay.  Where is the link to this webcomic you speak of. And we're gonna need to see those rude titties because as Lil Falls explained, we ain't gonna like it unless you are hot.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Am I nuts for having this bug me?
« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2007, 02:42:59 am »

Why do people spell pluralise with a z?
But no, seriously, I think it comes down to the fact that so many damn people can't write properly. Who decided for instance, that it was alright to say that something 'made me wow'? What the fuck is that?

Oh, you crazy Brits and your s instead of z, and your extra u thrown in randomly for color...
Logged

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Re: Am I nuts for having this bug me?
« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2007, 02:52:34 am »

Oh, you crazy Brits and your s instead of z, and your extra u thrown in randomly for color...

Exactly, it's all just to make it more interesting.

I actually spent a few years writing everything in Americanised spelling, then had to revert when I started typesetting and proofreading for publications. There was an... uncomfortable transition, shall we say.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Am I nuts for having this bug me?
« Reply #44 on: March 10, 2007, 04:05:40 am »

. . . Americanised . . .

Well c'mon, you can't think it's ok to use an 's' in that word!
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up