Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Dude abides.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Chinese Food  (Read 10524 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Chinese Food
« on: March 16, 2007, 10:16:16 pm »

Everytime I get Chinese I order General Tso's with white rice. I think its delicious but its getting boring and those chinese menus are so long. The universe of chinese cuisine appears to be deep and broad and yet I have only dabbled. (Meanwhile I've had everything a sushi chef could ever make).

What Chinese food do you all enjoy?
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Chinese Food
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2007, 10:24:58 pm »

there is a variety which is variously called Tangerine or Orange, and then a kind of meat. I normally like this. Such as "Tangerine Beef" or "Orange Chicken." this is usually good, I think.

I also enjoy the classic "Sesame" family. As well as the Sweet and Sour shrimp at the Chinese place down the street from me in Charlotte.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Muse_Of_Fire

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 27
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 210
  • Purveyor of Tomcoolery
    • View Profile
Re: Chinese Food
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2007, 10:27:41 pm »

All of it. Or rather, all of it that I have tried, which is quite a lot, I think, compared to most people. For reasons which I won't go into just now, Chinese food, and the availability of it, has become very important to me... I treat Chinese food the same way my Depression-era grandparents treat free condiment packets on the table at Denny's: as something to be hoarded when available, and set away in preparation for possible lean times. You won't find moldy paper boxes of Ma-po Tofu stashed in the back of my cupboard, necessarily, but the mentality is there nonetheless.
Logged
I'm afraid of ending up like Dugger.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Chinese Food
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2007, 10:54:32 pm »

I was all about the sesame chicken.

Now I just get the hottest thing, made with tofu.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Chinese Food
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2007, 10:57:59 pm »

Such as, when people order it at work, and there is hell of left overs, you take them home and freeze them for later?
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Chinese Food
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2007, 11:19:29 pm »

I was all about the sesame chicken.

Now I just get the hottest thing, made with tofu.

Man, I had some excellent Braised Bean Curd for lunch today.  It was tasty.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: Chinese Food
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2007, 11:20:02 pm »

A great, greasy appetizer that few people know about is the cheese wanton.  The only chinese food dish with cheese, it's cream cheese and chives in a fried wanton.  (10) 2.50

I like to get pork and broccoli, shrimp roll, egg drop wanton soup, chicken with garlic sauce, fried chicken (chinese food restaurants in NY have amazing fried chicken, especially in Jamacia, but probably not as good as Crown Fried on Hillside Ave.) man, everything at a chinese food joint is good, it doesn't matter what you order.
Logged
ACHIEVE

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Re: Chinese Food
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2007, 11:20:29 pm »

Many, many things. Though I don't really do take-out anymore as all the places here are a bit shit. I posted a mean Kung Po recipe on here some time ago though.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Chinese Food
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2007, 11:47:34 pm »

I ate a lot of really gloppy Chinese food when I was young, and now I just can't bring myself to go to a Chinese restaurant. Fortunately there is basically every other world cuisine within 15 minutes of my house, so I get by.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Teatime

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 14
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 109
    • View Profile
Re: Chinese Food
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2007, 11:55:46 pm »

Having been raised appropriately half-Taiwanese, I think anything involving fried tofu or steamed giraffe is excellent. These are generic enough that most Chinese restaurants should have them.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Chinese Food
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2007, 12:31:13 am »

A great, greasy appetizer that few people know about is the cheese wanton.  The only chinese food dish with cheese, it's cream cheese and chives in a fried wanton.  (10) 2.50

This sounds exactly like my favorite appetizer, crab rangoons sans the crab.

Also, hunan <meat> especially if you can get it without all the nasty broccoli
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Chinese Food
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2007, 01:49:51 am »

This sounds exactly like my favorite appetizer, crab rangoons sans the crab.

Also, hunan <meat> especially if you can get it without all the nasty broccoli

I thought that said <human> meat, and I loved that it was just kind of tossed out there. But I was also terrified.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Chinese Food
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2007, 02:22:51 am »

Oh maaaannnn... mu shu is delicious. It's a stir-fried dish served with thin pancakes and plum sauce, and you make little burrito-like rolls out of it. I adore that stuff with extra plum sauce. Hell of delicious.

Sesame chicken is also good if you like buttery chunks of fried chicken in delicious sauce.

I love broccoli in garlic sauce...the broccoli holds in an insaaaane amount of flavor and sauce and it's just delicious.

Dammit, now I'm all hungry.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Chinese Food
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2007, 02:48:09 am »

Oh maaaannnn... mu shu is delicious. It's a stir-fried dish served with thin pancakes and plum sauce, and you make little burrito-like rolls out of it. I adore that stuff with extra plum sauce. Hell of delicious.

Even though I tend to prefer spicier Chinese foods, Moo Sho is a big favorite of mine.  Good stuff, Maynard.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Chinese Food
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2007, 02:53:06 am »

I think it really depends what kind of chinese restaurant you are going to.
If it's your average take-away joint then like inev said anything with Orange (or honey or lemon) in front of it is probably awesome, doubly so if deep fried. I also have a powerful love for salt and pepper squid.
If you're in an honest-to-god restaurant I find the simpler dishes can often by the most delicious, I had some cashew chicken the other day (actually my lady-friend ordered it and I stole it) that was just barely seasoned with a little salt and the chicken was so goddamn tender I wanted to cry, it was pure joy.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up