Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Wife upset because I kept her up all night playing World of Snorecraft.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Drummers wanted!  (Read 4332 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Drummers wanted!
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2007, 08:23:18 am »

I was an all state clarinetist (sexy) and an all county guitarist before I asked my mother for a drum set. She responded by giving me a drum she found in my grandfather's attic and a rubber pad from the music store that is used for quietly practicing drum beats. Within a month I realized that I couldn't progress past basic drum beats with front lead music.
Summary: Be absolutely sure you want a drum set before you spend the $100+ on one.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Drummers wanted!
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2007, 03:16:15 pm »

I was an all state clarinetist (sexy) and an all county guitarist before I asked my mother for a drum set. She responded by giving me a drum she found in my grandfather's attic and a rubber pad from the music store that is used for quietly practicing drum beats. Within a month I realized that I couldn't progress past basic drum beats with front lead music.
Summary: Be absolutely sure you want a drum set before you spend the $100+ on one.

Timely as always.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Drummers wanted!
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2007, 04:42:56 pm »

I really want to get some cheap-ass drums and learn just basic beats. This is my summer goal.

Based on some things my friends here at school have said, my plan is to find someone whose older, formerly drum-playing brother has moved out.
Such as my friend Katie. Whose brother hasn't played his drums since he moved out when he graduated from college. If only St Louis weren't so far from Charlotte...
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: Drummers wanted!
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2007, 06:17:20 pm »

I betcha you and I could track down the shins or the decemberists and roll their drummer.

Then the set would be both professional, and have a story.

Let me know.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Drummers wanted!
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2007, 12:41:32 am »

I betcha you and I could track down the shins or the decemberists and roll their drummer.

Then the set would be both professional, and have a story.

Let me know.

You know, it's funny you mention that - the drummer for Modest penis was in the shop when we bought the kit last night. I looked furtively for Johnny Marr, but he wasn't around.

And yes, RG, they are Pearl EX export series. The cymbals are Sabian B8 Pros.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: Drummers wanted!
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2007, 02:51:17 am »

I really want to get some cheap-ass drums and learn just basic beats. This is my summer goal.

Something cheap that is great to start out on is an electronic kit like this: this.

A piece like that you can easily keep and play in a dorm, but the problem will be every person in the world wanting to play it for extended periods of time.  Even play 'em with headphones.

The best thing about those kits is that they come with programmed beats that you play along with and essentially the machine gives you basic to intermediate drum lessons.  Good to start out on because a real kit is pretty intimidating when you don't know what to do.

And yes, RG, they are Pearl EX export series. The cymbals are Sabian B8 Pros.

Very nice.  Much perfect!
Logged
ACHIEVE

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Drummers wanted!
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2007, 07:47:59 am »

yeah... my little brother has something like that somewhere in our basement.

my punk band will be so cool. my friend will play guitar, and I will play the electronic drum machine.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Re: Drummers wanted!
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2007, 10:33:33 am »

I kept meaning to put together some electronic drums from practice  pads with piezo sensors in, and hook them up through a midi brain to use Kontakt on the computer, but I am too lazy and got a kit instead. I always wanted an electronic kit that would be well, like a real drum layout and all.
The noise levels would have been ideal mind, but still, I ended up continuing to live in the middle of nowhere...
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: Drummers wanted!
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2007, 04:56:15 am »

I knew of a drummer who, when playing live sets in radio interviews, would bring in a 5-year-old's toy drum set because

1) It fit in radio studios easily
2) It offered more options than "Palm on guitar case" and "Edge of palm on guitar case" for these sessions
3) It made him feel like A GIANT DRUMMER HERE TO CRUSH YOU

This is not pertinent at all, but I enjoyed the thought.
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up