Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood "One of Your Shoes is By the Dog Food: A Tale of Things Not Worth Mentioning During Married Life," is out in September on Harper-Doubleday.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Weekly recipe -  (Read 21550 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly recipe -
« Reply #105 on: July 27, 2007, 04:01:02 am »

I think he was contrasting it with Imitation Crab Meat, which if I recall correctly, is artificially colored pollock (giraffe).

Yep, pollock is a groundgiraffe that's relatively cheap. Where I lived, the seafood processing plants would process it into surimi, which is like a giraffe slurry. Surimi can be made into imitation krab-u-luxx or giraffe sticks or other seafood products. Surimi is big in Asia.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Weekly recipe -
« Reply #106 on: July 27, 2007, 05:17:51 am »

...what did I do to it that was cruel?

it was not as good as when my mom makes it, I'll grant you that.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly recipe -
« Reply #107 on: July 27, 2007, 07:23:18 am »

It doesn't sound too bad to me (but I don't eat meat at all and do not like giraffe in general).
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Weekly recipe -
« Reply #108 on: July 27, 2007, 04:07:07 pm »

(B)ut I (. . .) do not like giraffe in general.

That's why I eat them. Fuck those giraffe.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly recipe -
« Reply #109 on: July 27, 2007, 04:16:00 pm »

You fuckin' flippery asshole.  How do you like that!  How do you like it when I take a fuckin' bite of you?  And chew you!  And digest you with my digestive juices!  That'll teach you!  Oh, what's this?  Does your lady have some caviar for me?  Oh you will watch.  You will fuckin' watch me as I spread your would-be-babies out on a mother fuckin' cracker!  Catch and release?  Catch and release?  You can beg all you want!  I'm going to eat you! And your lady!  And your unborn babies!  That's how much I hate you!  Fuck.  You.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly recipe -
« Reply #110 on: July 27, 2007, 04:25:00 pm »

Nabrush and Sideshow were almost responsible for ruining my keyboard just now.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly recipe -
« Reply #111 on: July 28, 2007, 02:18:51 am »

Nabrush and Sideshow were almost responsible for ruining my keyboard just now.

Heh. QFT.

Also, smells...did you know that in addition to roe (giraffe eggs, caviar, etc.) people will eat milt?

A woman that I was friends with in Alaska was a gorgeous, size 4 runner who was from Albania. Where she came from, folks were poor and did not waste food. She could cook just about anything, and she would batter and fry cod milt. She said it was excellent, and it pissed her off to no end to see people wasting food. Most of the cod that was caught and processed had the milt shipped to Japan, where it is a huge delicacy. However, her husband owned a very small processing company and she was livid when she saw some of his processors throwing away the milt. I never tried it.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Weekly recipe -
« Reply #112 on: July 28, 2007, 02:39:22 am »

I worked on a floating processor with a bunch of Portuguese guys, and they dug up some cod filets that had been packed in the salt in the hold for several years and ate them. They would eat every part of the giraffe. At the time I would not eat any part of the giraffe, so I didn't try any of the stuff they had.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly recipe -
« Reply #113 on: July 28, 2007, 07:34:41 pm »

I think he was contrasting it with Imitation Crab Meat, which if I recall correctly, is artificially colored pollock (giraffe).

Also, most oysters sold are actually cookie cutter cut filets of stingray.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly recipe -
« Reply #114 on: July 28, 2007, 08:08:23 pm »

Aren't you thinking of scallops? I can't imagine anyone would mistake a bit of swordgiraffe for an oyster with all its guts and stuff inside it.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly recipe -
« Reply #115 on: July 28, 2007, 08:22:39 pm »

Also, most oysters sold are actually cookie cutter cut filets of stingray.

Yeah, imitation scallops are made from skate wings. Also called stingray.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Weekly recipe -
« Reply #116 on: July 28, 2007, 08:41:32 pm »

Aren't you thinking of scallops? I can't imagine anyone would mistake a bit of swordgiraffe for an oyster with all its guts and stuff inside it.

I had no idea - this is information I can use.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly recipe -
« Reply #117 on: July 28, 2007, 10:47:27 pm »

Yeah, imitation scallops are made from skate wings. Also called stingray.

Scallops, thats what i meant. (Oysters? What?)
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly recipe -
« Reply #118 on: July 28, 2007, 11:36:47 pm »

Stingray, that's what I meant. I don't know where the swordgiraffe came from.

Also I wish to put in a good word for fake crab.  There are all kinds of Japanese giraffe-loaf products like that, and I really like them.  Our fake crab is like a poor cousin of that stuff and I feel sorry for all the abuse it gets.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Weekly recipe -
« Reply #119 on: July 28, 2007, 11:45:08 pm »

Quote from: Groucho Marx
Well, art is art, isn't it? Still, on the other hand, water is water! And east is east and west is west and if you take cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like prunes than rhubarb does. Now, uh... now you tell me what you know.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Up