Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

TERRIBLE!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: I've been dreading this day.  (Read 4105 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: I've been dreading this day.
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2007, 03:44:14 pm »

Ol Kurt is up in Heaven now smiling down on us.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: I've been dreading this day.
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2007, 03:57:23 pm »

I re-read much of Vonnegut's work every year or two.

"Cats Cradle" has never gotten old for me, I can say that much.

Also: "Player Piano" is the only novel by a major writer I've ever read where my hometown, Little Falls, is mentioned. It's only mentioned twice as a train stop along the way from the Albany metro area into the western Adirondacks but... it always felt like a validation somehow.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: I've been dreading this day.
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2007, 04:04:17 pm »

LFM-- I have a similar feeling that there are some works of Romare Bearden, the only artist I have ever heard of to come out of Charlotte, NC, in both the St Louis art musem and the Kemper Art Museum (the Washington U art museum.)

my best friend and I have a habit of saying "so it goes" to the point that... I sent him a message saying only that when I heard the news, and he thought I was commenting on something else he'd said because he hadn't heard that yet.
I didn't realize it was like, a thing that other people did.

So are the big three Slaughterhouse Five, Breakfast of Champions, and Cat's Cradle? I've never read BoC. I think I may re-read these this summer.

The illustration of Montana Wildhack's breasts was a big hit in my freshman writing class (high school, not college).
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: I've been dreading this day.
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2007, 12:19:06 am »

You should re-read those three, but you should also make sure to check out his non-fiction and Mother Night.

Also, I just read Welcome to the Monkey House last week, it is pretty good also.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Doc Benway

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 4
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 22
  • That's right Stouffer, you help!
    • View Profile
Re: I've been dreading this day.
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2007, 04:28:19 pm »

You should re-read those three, but you should also make sure to check out his non-fiction and Mother Night.

And The Sirens of Titan; a bit more traditional Sci-Fi than most of the others but still excellent and contains several ideas that Douglas Adam would employ later in HHGTTG.

Its a real loss...
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: I've been dreading this day.
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2007, 07:23:34 pm »

Several of the obits mentioned that for some reason his writing was cool when one is a kid but apparently you aren't supposed to enjoy it as an adult. I guess it's the whole "big ideas and changing the world is kids' stuff" mentality.

I tend to re-read Vonnegut between major novels as a break for myself. Like After reading The Iliad but before starting The Odyssey I re-read Sirens of Titan
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: I've been dreading this day.
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2007, 07:36:31 pm »

I really want to know why everyone reads the Illiad and the Odyssey, but not the Aeneid. I don't' know, maybe it isn't as well-regarded... my Latin teacher always set it up as basically an Improvement upon that old Greek stuff.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: I've been dreading this day.
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2007, 07:40:56 pm »

I really want to know why everyone reads the Illiad and the Odyssey, but not the Aeneid. I don't' know, maybe it isn't as well-regarded... my Latin teacher always set it up as basically an Improvement upon that old Greek stuff.

Actually I have the Fagles translation of the Aeneid in my wishlist right now. I'm just waiting for paperback or for my birthday.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: I've been dreading this day.
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2007, 08:40:30 pm »

not going to lie-- I have no basis to complain about this. I've read books 1-4 and 8 in Latin, but not in English. And reading it in Latin means that... I basically didn't absorb very much, I was mostly focused on translating correctly. I might read it in English one day, though. That Vergil sure could come up with some good phrases.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: I've been dreading this day.
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2007, 10:57:51 pm »

not going to lie-- I have no basis to complain about this. I've read books 1-4 and 8 in Latin, but not in English. And reading it in Latin means that... I basically didn't absorb very much, I was mostly focused on translating correctly. I might read it in English one day, though. That Vergil sure could come up with some good phrases.

I just hadn't found a translation that seemed worth the effort before. But I really enjoyed Fagle's translations of Homer, especially how he used footnotes to remind you of characters that hadn't been around for 9 books.
Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: I've been dreading this day.
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2007, 06:26:42 pm »

"Where is home? I've wondered where home is, and I realized, it's not Mars or someplace like that, it's Indianapolis when I was nine years old. I had a brother and a sister, a cat and a dog, and a mother and a father and uncles and aunts. And there's no way I can get there again."

As I said at the time:  Don't mind me, I'll just be over here weeping.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: I've been dreading this day.
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2007, 01:49:34 am »

15 things Kurt Vonnegut said better than anybody else.

I could've sworn that the "all person's...are coincidental" line was from Cat's Cradle. Way at the beginning. Like on the copyright page. My books are still packed from moving, so I can't look.
Logged

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: I've been dreading this day.
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2007, 06:37:46 am »

15 things Kurt Vonnegut said better than anybody else.

You oughta cross post this in the "Fifteen Things I Have Learned" thread.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: I've been dreading this day.
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2007, 12:41:47 pm »

I don't know why there are all of these sudden Top 15 lists lately, but I LIKE IT.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up