Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I had to look up how pi is derived. It has been sixteen years since the SAT, yet still, I feel very ashamed

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Favorite snacks to prepare  (Read 12412 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Favorite snacks to prepare
« Reply #45 on: May 06, 2007, 04:43:11 pm »

Oh crap. Ethiopian food is... no. Ethiopian food is just no.

Raw cow meat with a side of cottage cheese. Ugh.

A few miles south of West Hollywood, there's a little Ethiopian neighborhood and every once in a while, you'll have a friend who gets saucy about liking exotic food and decides to give it a try and... then we take bets on how many days they'll be sick after that.

Thai, however, I love Thai except I gotsta always pick out the cucumber as cucumber is nasty.

My brother's started dating a lady of Thai extraction (though Californian born and raised, leaving our Eastern-European-extracted Northeastern-born-and-raised asses as the actual immigrants) and so there's a lot more of it around lately.

Love the peanut sauce.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite snacks to prepare
« Reply #46 on: May 06, 2007, 04:51:58 pm »

See, I can eat the peanut sauce, but prefer the Indonesian version better.  A favorite memory of mine was being in a palace, at a dinner hosted by Indonesia's leader at the time... and all this food was served that was impossible to identify as it looked nothing like anything I'd ever eaten, except in the middle of the table was a huge pile of chicken in Indonesian peanut sauce.  We all stared politely at the strange smelling guck in front of us and then tried to conceal the fact the only thing we were interested in was the chicken.  Then another lady I was with who was from Minneapolis groaned "Ohhh!  Couldn't you eat this sauce smeared on cardboard!?"
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite snacks to prepare
« Reply #47 on: May 31, 2007, 03:40:47 am »

I have discovered snack perfection.

Brew a pot of Earl Grey tea.

Get two slices of whole wheat bread and some sharp cheddar and marmite. Put them together in an unholy combination. Butter the outsides of the bread. Grill.

This grilled cheese with marmite is making me weep tears of exhausted joy as I survey the boxed contents of my apartment in preparation for moving to Denver.

that is all.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite snacks to prepare
« Reply #48 on: May 31, 2007, 03:45:48 am »

I have discovered snack perfection.

Brew a pot of Earl Grey tea.


Bergamot don't do it for me.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite snacks to prepare
« Reply #49 on: May 31, 2007, 04:04:07 am »

Bergamot don't do it for me.

The tea that I am going to buy in massive, bunker-lining qualities when I return to Civilization is Taylors of Harrodgate "Imperial Tea Room" tea. It's amazing. I recommend it highly.
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite snacks to prepare
« Reply #50 on: May 31, 2007, 01:10:13 pm »

Marmite and sharp cheddar?  That is just way too salty.

Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite snacks to prepare
« Reply #51 on: June 01, 2007, 07:26:44 am »

Marmite and sharp cheddar?  That is just way too salty. way too fuck*ng delicious.



Fixed that for you.
Logged

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite snacks to prepare
« Reply #52 on: June 01, 2007, 09:57:24 am »

My new favorite snack is Sunflower seeds.  Is it considered preparing if you have to get a spit cup?
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite snacks to prepare
« Reply #53 on: June 01, 2007, 04:46:01 pm »

Don't forget opening the bag.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Re: Favorite snacks to prepare
« Reply #54 on: June 02, 2007, 03:41:48 pm »

My new favorite snack is Sunflower seeds.  Is it considered preparing if you have to get a spit cup?

And there's my problem with sunflower seeds and those who eat them when not alone!
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Favorite snacks to prepare
« Reply #55 on: June 02, 2007, 05:21:54 pm »

wow. that's goddamn... unamerican!

(yes, I realize that Slink is not American. I guess that is the joke.)

(do you capitalize Unamerican? American looks wrong when it is uncapitalized.)
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Favorite snacks to prepare
« Reply #56 on: June 02, 2007, 07:37:08 pm »

man, I can imagine. All kinds of steeples and broken glass falling out of your mouth, bloody body parts... how could you? HOW COULD YOU?
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite snacks to prepare
« Reply #57 on: June 02, 2007, 08:27:20 pm »

It wasn't until they put that statue in the harbor that Asherdan's reign of terror came to an end - for even he could not bring himself to destroy the little mermaid.

Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite snacks to prepare
« Reply #58 on: June 02, 2007, 08:57:17 pm »

Apparently dip/chew, etc. is illegal in all EU countries except Norway and Sweden, or, you know, some northern ones.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite snacks to prepare
« Reply #59 on: June 02, 2007, 09:46:05 pm »

Apparently dip/chew, etc. is illegal in all EU countries except Norway and Sweden, or, you know, some northern ones.

In college a friend of mine spent a year in Sweden, and he brought back a bunch of snus. I did not like it. I remember a drinking party where he passed out pouches of snus to all his friends, and they left theirs in for a really long time in an effort to be "hardcore" and the night ended with all of them projectile vomiting in the bathroom while I made a hasty retreat. Disgusting.
Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up