Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I had to look up how pi is derived. It has been sixteen years since the SAT, yet still, I feel very ashamed

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Day Tripper intro, ad nauseum (10-06-03)  (Read 5815 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Oct 6th
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2003, 07:45:25 am »

Whore Hay,

It's just a Camus reference.  I guess it's also by association a Cure reference, but mostly it's about L'Etranger (The Stranger) a fine novel in which an existential hero ends up killing an Arab on the beach in Algiers just because.

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Oct 6th
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2003, 03:01:30 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
Whore Hay,

It's just a Camus reference.  I guess it's also by association a Cure reference, but mostly it's about L'Etranger (The Stranger) a fine novel in which an existential hero ends up killing an Arab on the beach in Algiers just because.


Well, technically the sun was in Meursault's eyes.
Logged

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Oct 6th
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2003, 06:12:58 pm »

Ah, Camus. I read The Plague once and then I stopped reading it in the middle.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Oct 6th
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2003, 06:17:09 pm »

I thought he killed him because, what was the line.... "he did me dirt" or something like that.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Oct 6th
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2003, 06:23:58 pm »

I liked The Plague better than The Stranger.  

And I thought Mersault killed the Arab because he thought the Arab had done him dirt, but later realized he was mistaken.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Oct 6th
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2003, 06:31:57 pm »

I was pretty sure it was because the sun was in his eyes, too.  I'll have to dig up my copy when I get home.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

V-Adore

  • Guest
Oct 6th
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2003, 09:10:00 pm »

If I'm recalling my high-school AP English correctly, it's all of these and none of these -- Meursault comes up with a lot of this rationalization afterwards, but at the time he really just did it for no reason. Very existential.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Oct 6th
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2003, 12:30:37 am »

Yeah, the whole point was that there was no point.

He killed him and then tried to find a reason why afterwards.

But I haven't read it in fifteen years, so I can't recall any lines directly.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Oct 6th
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2003, 02:24:31 am »

Man, I love this place.  I couldn't tell you how we got from Pat Reynolds to Camus, but I'm glad we did.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Oct 6th
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2003, 04:41:53 am »

I guess that was my fault.  Camus does seem to come up a lot on this board, though.  

Someone mentioned the Myth of Sisyphus last month, which reminded me of a short play I wrote back in college called "Mrs. Sisyphus" about a woman wondering what was keeping her husband. I think giving her the first name of "Penelope" was pushing it a little, in hindsight.

Anyway, you just can't keep the French down.  Existentialism and Deconstruction comes up a lot in relation to this particular cartoon strip.  I blame Onstad.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up