Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Today's sad thing: A reeking tweaker couple looking in the gas station freezer for "that pizza that was good in the microwave last time."

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: The Day Tripper intro, ad nauseum (10-06-03)  (Read 5817 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
The Day Tripper intro, ad nauseum (10-06-03)
« on: October 06, 2003, 02:06:43 pm »

awesome.

sounds a lot like the shit we post here sometimes!

Strip.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 05:32:16 am by Nabubrush »
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Oct 6th
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2003, 02:25:03 pm »

I want to hear what they thought of Veg. Head. Although I'm a little curious why they were there at all.
Logged

PinkStainlessTail

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 269
    • View Profile
    • http://horsmanistan.blogspot.com/
Oct 6th
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2003, 03:19:00 pm »

"Ahhh, the Day Tripper intro, ad nauseum."

Perfect. I once knew someone who had a similar issue with pianos and the beginning of Lady Madonna.
Logged
"Plush. Rabid. Festering. Pulchritude. Eschew!"

"That may be the worst cheer ever."
-The University of Universal Understanding, S. Aldred

V-Adore

  • Guest
Oct 6th
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2003, 03:20:57 pm »

Their commentary is just about perfect, and once again, the art is great; if I may, myself, be pretentious, we have a sense of veritas created by the addition of well-drawn background characters of the same visual leitmotif of Ray and the other cats.

... On a non-pretentious level, does Ray's head look really big in this strip, or is it just me?
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Oct 6th
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2003, 04:08:23 pm »

Ah, Pat becomes Absurdist Hero.  Perhaps an Arab will wander onto the sandy stage and Pat will shoot him.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Oct 6th
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2003, 05:57:14 pm »

Quote from: "PinkStainlessTail"
"Ahhh, the Day Tripper intro, ad nauseum."

Perfect. I once knew someone who had a similar issue with pianos and the beginning of Lady Madonna.


When I went to see the Wayne's World movie, I was the ONLY person in the theater who cracked up when Wayne grabbed the guitar he always wanted in the music store and started to play it - he gets three or four VERY recognizable notes out before the guitar salesman shushes him and points to the sign: NO STAIRWAY TO HEAVEN.

Personally, I thought that was the funniest bit in the whole movie.
Logged

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Oct 6th
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2003, 06:16:07 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
... On a non-pretentious level, does Ray's head look really big in this strip, or is it just me?


It's not just you. Head's too big or arms are too small.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

monkey punch

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 18
    • View Profile
Oct 6th
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2003, 06:44:17 pm »

cat heads seem to be what's on everybody's mind.  consistent with that trend, I offer the following:  the middle cat critic looks exactly like walter benjamin.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Oct 6th
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2003, 08:16:13 pm »

It occurred to me that we may actually have witnessed the end of a whole character arc; the Pat we have here is far more reminiscent of early Pat, the one who was generally quiet and only a dick about reasonable things, like Ray claiming to have boned his brother-in-law. Maybe this whole electrocution episode has finally cured him of the dickishness building up within him since his hat got mocked and Roast Beef stole his spaceship.
Logged

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Oct 6th
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2003, 08:50:14 pm »

It's funny, I never really noticed what a dick Pat was 'til about the point where he shot Beef.
And I think it's probably a little soon to decide that this is stilla vaguely improved Pat. I mean he's still all shell shocked from getting back to normal, so he's a bit dazed.
I guess it will transpire whether he is the full dick or not so bad in the next few strips or so.

Basically, too soon to tell.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Oct 6th
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2003, 11:42:54 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
Ah, Pat becomes Absurdist Hero.  Perhaps an Arab will wander onto the sandy stage and Pat will shoot him.


Props.

And AlohaDawg, I'm quite with you on that one... as an adament opponent of Stairway, which is astounding considering the volume of stoned kids I hang out with, I've always loved that part.
Logged
goose means greedy

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Oct 6th
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2003, 02:03:37 am »

As a guitar player and a teenager who hung out in the local music store CONSTANTLY I could relate to the "No Stairway" sign.

Also during that era they should have had signs reading:

NO SWEET CHILD O' MINE
NO MONEY (Bass players have their own clichés)
NO HOT FOR TEACHER
NO TALK DIRTY TO ME

These were the songs that every middle-aged jackass would play to try to look cool.

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Oct 6th
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2003, 01:04:38 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
As a guitar player and a teenager who hung out in the local music store CONSTANTLY I could relate to the "No Stairway" sign.


Ditto.
And the others.
Damn Floyd fans!
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Oct 6th
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2003, 04:01:48 pm »

Quote from: "jough"

These were the songs that every middle-aged jackass would play to try to look cool.


And now I am one of those jackasses, although I don't hang around a music store trying to play the riffs that are hip with the kids, now, but mostly because I have absolutely no idea what the kids are really listening to.  I can't bare to turn the radio dial off of the classic rock station, except to go to the all-80s station once in a while.

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Oct 6th
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2003, 07:12:20 am »

Quote from: "jough"
Ah, Pat becomes Absurdist Hero.  Perhaps an Arab will wander onto the sandy stage and Pat will shoot him.


Jough, I have no idea what the specific reference is here. However, that's not going to stop me from describing a troll on another board I'm on who has happily taken an absurdist turn.


It's ok, though, I paid money once. That does give me license to steal things at will, right? Right?
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up