Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Have you ever woken up to find phrases like "cryogenic baseball player" in your Google search field?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Kurt Cobain sells Doc's  (Read 12871 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Kurt Cobain sells Doc's
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2007, 06:26:40 pm »

I love the fuck out of Kurt Cobain. he is probably my favorite (artistic/musical) person of all time.

that is all.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Kurt Cobain sells Doc's
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2007, 08:33:53 pm »

I love the fuck out of Kurt Cobain. he is probably my favorite (artistic/musical) person of all time.

that is all.

That's just sad.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Kurt Cobain sells Doc's
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2007, 10:37:52 pm »

sorry that I disappointed you.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

RMJ12345

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 45
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 381
  • all employing the principles of hopping
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: Kurt Cobain sells Doc's
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2007, 04:04:09 am »

I don't know, I really loved Nirvana's music a great deal, but yeah for sure he sure spawned a double assload of really really really crappy imitators. 

That's the problem with everyone. Sure, they were awesome, but they're responsible for xyz imitators that couldn't live up to them. Like Achewood and xkcd and Penny Arcade and the PBF are responsible for all the shitty webcomics out there.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Kurt Cobain sells Doc's
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2007, 06:19:33 am »

Quote
Kurt Cobain is when rock music changed from being about screaming to being about whining.

When was rock music "about" screaming? did I miss something?
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

RMJ12345

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 45
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 381
  • all employing the principles of hopping
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: Kurt Cobain sells Doc's
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2007, 03:38:31 pm »

Don't ask me, I thought music was for the fuck*ng.

CAN'D for being extremely right.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Kurt Cobain sells Doc's
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2007, 02:46:33 am »

Fuck it, if y'all can make a nickel off my poor, exploited corpse, be my guest. I'm just waiting for the Kurdt Cobain Mossberg ads to come out.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Kurt Cobain sells Doc's
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2007, 03:23:45 am »

Fuck it, if y'all can make a nickel off my poor, exploited corpse, be my guest. I'm just waiting for the Kurdt Cobain Mossberg ads to come out.

Inev, based upon this comment I can only hope that you are no longer mad at me for ranking on Kurt Cobain. 

Nabu, that's worth two cans.

I guess I should take this opportunity to apologize. 

I'm sorry that your favorite artist sucks.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: Kurt Cobain sells Doc's
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2007, 03:39:08 am »

"oh, don't you dare complain about the vegan egg replacement product."  Personally, I found it a little off-putting, but she really digs it.

That just shows how much she understands me.   If there's one thing I can't brook, is someone complaining about the Ener-G Egg Replacer that I use.  I have the look of a man whom what brooks no egg replacer complaints.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Kurt Cobain sells Doc's
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2007, 04:11:29 am »

I mean... i wasn't mad? Just not sure how to respond to "That's sad."

Also, I am genuinely curious about when "rock music was about screaming." The 80's? Hardcore punk? It seems like... if Rock can be "about" something, and that something can be something that isn't going on at all in the mainstream... then it certainly isn't about whining now?

And if just introducing it is what matters (since being mainstream/popular is not the criteria), then there are certainly others to blame for the whining?

plus, Kurt Cobain is still my favorite. Sorry, true.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Kurt Cobain sells Doc's
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2007, 05:45:40 am »

I mean... i wasn't mad? Just not sure how to respond to "That's sad."

Also, I am genuinely curious about when "rock music was about screaming." The 80's? Hardcore punk? It seems like... if Rock can be "about" something, and that something can be something that isn't going on at all in the mainstream... then it certainly isn't about whining now?

And if just introducing it is what matters (since being mainstream/popular is not the criteria), then there are certainly others to blame for the whining?

plus, Kurt Cobain is still my favorite. Sorry, true.

I gave you a tiny can for sticking to your guns although some people disparaged you for it.
I liked Cobain back when he was still alive, In Utero was one of the first albums I bought. I remember one of my crazy ass friends carving his dates of birth and death into her arm when he died. Yeah...nobody's really sure what happened to her. I'm afraid to think that she's probably a.) dead or b.) in jail.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Kurt Cobain sells Doc's
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2007, 06:02:39 am »

In Utero was one of the first albums I bought.

Hi there. My name's Nabu, and I was around when they invented gravel.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Kurt Cobain sells Doc's
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2007, 01:24:41 pm »

Yeah... I liked Nirvana.  They defined my generation, yet they really speak to me of a time, and aren't something I want to revisit.  There isn't a single grunge band that I want to hear anymore.  The trend had a time and a place for me that was so right at the time but is gone.  Totally gone.  Like all my flannel shirts, like my worn out Doc Martins, I have nostalgia, but no need to go back.  I always thought the guys in my school who were into Zeppelin were cool, but mysterious.  I didn't really "get" why they were into something from way back when... I suppose this is a little like how the Nev is seen to his peers?  I wonder how liking a band after they wont ever make any more music effects the experience?  It's totally different to be the fan of a band while they're producing and performing - there's all that time between albums to let things really sink in, there's the cultural phenomenon of their work and how it reflects the time and place it's created in, but then there's not the benefit of looking at all their work at once, and the perspective that that brings.  I only have two artists on my iPod that aren't currently making music.  I wonder what that says about me?
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Re: Kurt Cobain sells Doc's
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2007, 03:43:26 pm »

I'm kind of with you on that, Smells. I loved Nirvana, although was annoyed by Incesticide and so didn't listen to In Utero until quite late on, thanks to a friend. But I just don't listen to them anymore. I still love them, but there's other stuff I'd rather hear.
There are bands who were kind of considered part of the same scene I do listen to now and then like Soungarden or Screaming Trees. Same thing as happened with Nirvana kind of happened with Alice in Chains as well, though I'll listen to Mad Season.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Kurt Cobain sells Doc's
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2007, 05:01:36 pm »

the vast, vast majority of musicians I like do not make music any more. So sad. I got really excited when I realized that the radio station I work at had a copy of the new Dinosaur Jr album... but I got really disappointed with the first song and never finished it.

I don't know... it's OK. There's so much music in the history of the world, nevermind just Rock music. Then, you have to take into account that I am really slow about listening to new albums... and you realize that to me, "No Depression" is basically a new album, even though it came out when I was two years old.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up