Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Listen, I've been duped by "English-speaking" pizza places before.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Moving Tips?  (Read 11462 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Moving Tips?
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2007, 08:54:48 pm »

Oh, argh, Somebody nice, I sympathize. The exact same thing happened to me my freshman year of college -- I had a hot pink Post-It on my desk that somehow got some water spilled on it, and when I finally got around to cleaning off the desk when move-out day came, there was a huge hot pink stain underneath it. My father and I couldn't figure out anything to lift it, so eventually we just left the desk as it was; I never got a bill about it or anything, so I presume life went on. Still, mortifying.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Moving Tips?
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2007, 09:21:26 pm »

This is what you kids get for buying into newfangled technology. I use the old fashioned yellow Post-its as coasters all the time and have never had this problem.  (I actually do own coasters but sometimes they are hard to find on the desk. You know, a clean desk is the sign of a disorganized mind, right?)
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Moving Tips?
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2007, 10:45:50 pm »

um, yeah. Non-yellow post its are hell of crass.

when I was buying school supplies, I was in a fragile state of mind, apparently. I remember spending at least 10 minutes freaking out about non-yellow post-its, and how all I wanted was yellow ones, no I don't want a variety pack...

the only recourse was to buy a thing of like 1000 yellow post-its, as apparently they only came in two sizes: 1 pad (so, like, 50?), and 1000.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Moving Tips?
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2007, 11:02:10 pm »

Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Re: Moving Tips?
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2007, 05:20:58 am »

I think I need to just man up and purchase some coasters. Jeez.

When you're back down here in the lower 48, buy some old 33 vinyl LPs.  Smash off as much of the black vinyl as you can, then trim and smooth everything down to just the round label using scissors and a file.  Get sheets of thin cork and cut out circles equal in diameter to the album labels and glue them to the bottom of each.

Voila.  Album label coasters.  Be sure that at least one of them is Slayer's Reign in Blood. 

After a while, when the colors run a little from the label paper being wet, throw them away and make new ones. 

Just a thought. 
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Moving Tips?
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2007, 05:50:44 am »

WHAT
WHAT

Linnea, if you buy good LPs and smash them up, I will not invite you to my birthday party. My mom will say "what about that nice Somebody nice girl?" "no. no, mom, she is not invited." "but I thought that she was your frien--" "no. Not invited."

on a completely random note (I guess it relates to Moving?) one of my best friends is going to school with Hobot next year. Like, they have met.

...she found Hobes utterly terrifying, but awesome. Basically.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Moving Tips?
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2007, 08:12:44 am »

Linnea, if you buy good LPs and smash them up, I will not invite you to my birthday party.

Like Slayer?  Anyhow, this sounds like an awesome idea.  The record store in my town (every record store?) has a dollar bin, so for like 10 bucks I could have Kenny Loggins and George Thorogood coasters out the ass.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Moving Tips?
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2007, 02:34:13 pm »

For that matter, you could cruise garage sales and get them there. Probably spend a quarter apiece on them.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Moving Tips?
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2007, 10:13:51 pm »

Maybe that's what I'll do with the copy of Frankie Goes to Hollywood's Welcome to the Pleasuredome that I bought on a dare from the Gentleman Caller.
Logged

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Re: Moving Tips?
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2007, 01:35:52 am »

Linnea, if you buy good LPs and smash them up, I will not invite you to my birthday party.

You don't buy good LPs and smash them up.   Dope.  You get thrashed copies of good albums.  I had a $1 copy of Odessey and Oracle by the Zombies that made for shitty listening but excellent coasting. 

Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Moving Tips?
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2007, 01:50:24 am »

You don't buy good LPs and smash them up.   Dope.

Don't be too mean - he's still very young.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Moving Tips?
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2007, 02:06:29 am »

ah, yeah. See, I was assuming you were like most of the people I know-- ie, think that LPs are worthless junk.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Moving Tips?
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2007, 02:32:07 am »

ah, yeah. See, I was assuming you were like most of the people I know-- ie, think that LPs are worthless junk.

No, see, we were all around when LPs were still the main form of music. We aren't like your friends who view them as archaic museum pieces.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Moving Tips?
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2007, 02:51:58 am »

no... actually, my friends always say "oh, cool!" Older people (my parents, other people's parents, etc) find them basically hilarious. They all say some variation of "...don't you have an iPod?"

Kind of like the reaction I get from people my own age if I carry around my CD player, actually.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: Moving Tips?
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2007, 03:43:56 am »

My Ladyfriend continues to rip her LP library.  She has a bunch of Entwistle she hasn't heard in a while.
Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up