Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
That the second best way to sound like a noob is to ask why robot and pants are censored?

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Music of Summer 07  (Read 14322 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Music of Summer 07
« Reply #75 on: July 25, 2007, 10:20:09 pm »

I also dig me some Ted Leo, and I'm told he DOES put on a great show (again, never seen him, because I am old and married and don't go to concerts anymore).

The Weakerthans are playing at the 9:30 in October, they are totally geezer-friendly. I saw them there about a year ago and it was glorious. They're up there playing total indie music but the guitar and bass player are acting as if they are in the biggest, most over-the-top hair band ever.
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Music of Summer 07
« Reply #76 on: July 26, 2007, 02:24:00 pm »

How is it that I always miss seeing the Weakerthans play?  I always do.  It is not right I tell you.  Let us (me) know how it goes.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: Music of Summer 07
« Reply #77 on: July 27, 2007, 03:25:09 pm »

The music of the 2007 summer is THE VERVE IS BACK BITCHES!1!!
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Music of Summer 07
« Reply #78 on: July 27, 2007, 04:04:48 pm »

The music of the 2007 summer is THE VERVE IS BACK BITCHES!1!!

Can I get partial credit? I'm going to see the Verve Pipe (I'm pretty sure I've never heard anything they've done).
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
Re: Music of Summer 07
« Reply #79 on: July 27, 2007, 04:20:17 pm »

Can I get partial credit? I'm going to see the Verve Pipe (I'm pretty sure I've never heard anything they've done).

i vaguely remember them having an emo single before emo was emo, and it was all suck.

my condolences.

(ask dude for hair styling tips if you get a chance, though)


edit-
sideshow's got it.  my condolences.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Music of Summer 07
« Reply #80 on: July 27, 2007, 04:20:36 pm »

Didn't they sing that song "Freshmen" that was a hit several years back?  That was a pretty but depressing song, as I remember it.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: Music of Summer 07
« Reply #81 on: July 27, 2007, 04:28:58 pm »

Enough with the blasphemy. This is how The Verve rolls:

Lucky Man: http://br.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyTO0jW8T2o

Velvet Morning: http://br.youtube.com/watch?v=8l0sTxtvDkY

Sonnet: http://br.youtube.com/watch?v=RiQgEn5ibYg

They have a new album coming up. As much as I *know* that you can't cross the same river twice and most likely it will be at its utter best just non-crappy (if you squint a bit and still with a solid chance of being just crappy after all in the end), I'm still giddy and starry-eyed. Fuck it, I'm 30 and I have a prescription for medicinal nostalgia right here in my pocket.
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Music of Summer 07
« Reply #82 on: July 27, 2007, 06:21:17 pm »

I think theres a rule in pop music that every era has to have two bands with basically the same name.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Music of Summer 07
« Reply #83 on: July 27, 2007, 07:38:56 pm »

"Freshmen" really was emo before emo, but I recall very much liking it at the time (I think I may have been a freshman in HS myself, or perhaps a sophomore). I vaguely recall it and "Brick" getting a lot of radio play at the same time, which made for depressing/"my mother attempts to have a serious conversation on the way to school" morning commutes.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Music of Summer 07
« Reply #84 on: July 27, 2007, 08:35:33 pm »

people, you obviously do not know how old emo is. BE SERIOUS (I don't mean anything by this... it's just my favorite thing to say. I have been laughed at for saying "oh, come on, be serious!" when I accidentally spray myself with water while washing dishes.)

I mean, unless you like the current "emo" that is basically bad pop-punk, but with worse makeup, and crying.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Music of Summer 07
« Reply #85 on: July 28, 2007, 02:23:46 am »

"Freshmen" really was emo before emo, but I recall very much liking it at the time (I think I may have been a freshman in HS myself, or perhaps a sophomore). I vaguely recall it and "Brick" getting a lot of radio play at the same time, which made for depressing/"my mother attempts to have a serious conversation on the way to school" morning commutes.

I remember that song, too. I kinda liked it, but Kellichou HAAAAATED it. Brick was also hell of depressing. I remember you telling us about your mom bringing up the song and how you heroically ducked that discussion. Mom, do not bring up Ben Folds' girlfriend and their unplanned pregnancy crisis. Thanks.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Music of Summer 07
« Reply #86 on: July 28, 2007, 02:36:28 am »

I am not going to the show to see the Verve Pipe, FYI.

I have been laughed at for saying "oh, come on, be serious!" when I accidentally spray myself with water while washing dishes.

I totally do shit like that. For me, that is worth a can.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Music of Summer 07
« Reply #87 on: July 28, 2007, 06:08:14 am »

nabu-- the best part is that this is at work. So, you know, I'm washing dishes for several hours... and doing this nearly constantly.

thank you for the beverage.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Music of Summer 07
« Reply #88 on: July 28, 2007, 12:35:25 pm »

people, you obviously do not know how old emo is. BE SERIOUS (I don't mean anything by this... it's just my favorite thing to say. I have been laughed at for saying "oh, come on, be serious!" when I accidentally spray myself with water while washing dishes.)

I mean, unless you like the current "emo" that is basically bad pop-punk, but with worse makeup, and crying.

But see, the term "emo" is relatively new to the common parlance.  In my teens, a dozen years ago (gah!), I listened to the sort of music you would now call emo, but it was most definitely not called emo.  Most everything I listened to was dubbed "alternative" except for the bands/artists that wore predominantly black and were more death focused, who were called "goth."  In my day the social group of teens who listened to that sort of music were also not called "emo" - we were called "losers" or "weird" or something.  I only hear "emo" being used to refer to these things, as a common phrase, about 4 years ago.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Music of Summer 07
« Reply #89 on: July 28, 2007, 02:24:59 pm »

Yeah, there has pretty much always been emo, right? I mean, you could probably call some Jefferson Airplane and Velvet Underground emo.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up