Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I haven't had a haircut since July. I'm hoping to, "wait it out."

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: I have never met a man as shiny as you - 8/02/07  (Read 3921 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: I have never met a man as shiny as you - 8/02/07
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2007, 09:11:10 pm »

Well, I think this strip is mediocre, and previous strips have been mediocre for some time.

Am I wrong, or did the strip pretty much peak with the GOF?

I did love the "Will Beef pop the question?" thread, but it too lacked teeth (but it made up for it with heart, so I guess that's okay).

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: I have never met a man as shiny as you - 8/02/07
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2007, 10:27:45 pm »

You didn't like the Mexican Magical Realism arc?
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

MrCB

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 18
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 122
    • View Profile
Re: I have never met a man as shiny as you - 8/02/07
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2007, 09:39:49 am »

I can't recall if there's been a canonical reference to his origins. I could just be that in the minds of us Americans cultured and gentlemanly = English but I think things like Scotch eggs and his pub are pointing in that direction as well.

There is a reference to it - he's pretty certainly English. In the arc where Roast Beef, Lyle, Mr Bear, Teodor and Nightlife Mingus (I think), are trapped in Ray's dumb waiter (during the time Ray and Phillipe are meeting Mark Twain). When they're playing the Porn Star Name game Mr. Bear has a thought bubble that the street he first lived on was Roxx Street in Cambridge.

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=09092003
Logged
I'LL BE DEAD BY THE TIME THEY SLAP THE CUFFS ON

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: I have never met a man as shiny as you - 8/02/07
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2007, 05:27:44 am »

You didn't like the Mexican Magical Realism arc?

I have a pair of Levis that are made in Mexico that I just bought, and whenever I wear them, I know think of them as my Mexican Realism blue jeans.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: I have never met a man as shiny as you - 8/02/07
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2007, 10:31:31 am »

Mexican Realism blue jeans.

When you wear these is there automatically a Porsche 550 Spyder in your driveway with a glass bottle of coke in the govebox?
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: I have never met a man as shiny as you - 8/02/07
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2007, 01:01:16 pm »

I have a pair of Levis that are made in Mexico that I just bought, and whenever I wear them, I know think of them as my Mexican Realism blue jeans.

Do they make your butt look magically sexy?
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: I have never met a man as shiny as you - 8/02/07
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2007, 02:40:04 pm »

this reminds me.
there is one kind of jeans. they are the worst kind of jeans.

these jeans have no butt-pockets, and a seam right along the, um, middle of the butt.

Ladies, these jeans make your ass look horrible. Do not wear them.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

MrCB

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 18
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 122
    • View Profile
Re: I have never met a man as shiny as you - 8/02/07
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2007, 02:52:03 pm »

This has reminded me of the plot where ray met his [thing] dog as a foretelling of his death... anyone remember where that plot started??
Logged
I'LL BE DEAD BY THE TIME THEY SLAP THE CUFFS ON

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: I have never met a man as shiny as you - 8/02/07
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2007, 03:02:52 pm »

This has reminded me of the plot where ray met his [thing] dog as a foretelling of his death... anyone remember where that plot started??

http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=09062006

Which was the day after a Saddest Thing strip.
Logged

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: I have never met a man as shiny as you - 8/02/07
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2007, 03:09:49 pm »

this reminds me.
there is one kind of jeans. they are the worst kind of jeans.

these jeans have no butt-pockets, and a seam right along the, um, middle of the butt.

Ladies, these jeans make your ass look horrible. Do not wear them.

I second this motion.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

MrCB

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 18
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 122
    • View Profile
Re: I have never met a man as shiny as you - 8/02/07
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2007, 03:24:21 pm »

http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=09062006

Which was the day after a Saddest Thing strip.

Thanks! I was looking through the archive and knew it was near the Magical Realism arc with Bensington Butters, but somehow completely passed it by...

Can for you!
Logged
I'LL BE DEAD BY THE TIME THEY SLAP THE CUFFS ON
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up