Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Barely passed Oregon driver's test. Lots of rules about Yielding to the Distraught and slow-moving salmon trucks on one-way switchbacks.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: The Great Indoor Fight  (Read 8583 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

gloomba

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 9
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 63
  • One stomp and he dies . . . . 100 PTS.
    • View Profile
Re: The Great Indoor Fight
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2007, 11:33:26 am »

Yeah man.  According to Wikipedia (so it must be true), "A titanium ring might cause problems with removal in case of an emergency, as hospital tools are unable to cut some grades of titanium, although the titanium ring maker's FAQ challenges this notion. The results of their tests have shown that a manual ring cutter can cut through a ring in under two minutes and electric tools would be faster. Regular electrician pliers will cut a gold ring in under a second."  Some might see that as a problem; I see it as titanium asserting its dominance over lesser, wussy metals.  I mean, to be defeated by electrician pliers in under a second?  Come on!

It's titanium, baby!

P.S. Thanks for the congratulations/cynicism, everyone.
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: The Great Indoor Fight
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2007, 01:54:06 pm »

Someone should have told me so I could have gotten the first one out of the way even faster.

On a more serious note: do any of you have children who, :ahem: predate your nuptials? When they get to be 8 or so, what do you tell them? We have an anniversary date, we just add several (6!) years to it...but she's gonna catch on eventually.



See, AD, in my family we don't talk about... anything.  But long story short, someone on my dad's side put together a genealogy going way, way back to the 1500's.  I was looking at it shortly after it was made, and it listed my older sister as having been born 3 months after my parents were married.  Which explains why there are no wedding photos, why my paternal grandmother hates my mom, and some other things.  I suppose it could have been an error...  We have never talked about this.  I did once, before seeing this study, ask my sister if she knew why our parents had no wedding photos and she said she had no idea, and sounded like she meant it.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: The Great Indoor Fight
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2007, 02:33:10 pm »

Does a kid who's less than 8 really have any idea of how long you've been married or what order you did it in or what societal norms you might be worried about? Seems like if at some point you just say "Oh yeah, we celebrate our anniversary from since we've been together but we got married in X" it wouldn't be that big a deal because seriously, how much time does a six year old spend thinking about what you did before she was born? Surely she has more interesting things on her mind.

But anyway, remember that you always get in more trouble for the coverup than for the original crime. There's no family secret that's worse than the big deal that'll be made over the fact that it was kept a secret.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: The Great Indoor Fight
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2007, 02:47:59 pm »

I think I was around 30 when I realized that I was born 7 months after my parents' wedding.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: The Great Indoor Fight
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2007, 02:58:43 pm »

On a more serious note: do any of you have children who, :ahem: predate your nuptials? When they get to be 8 or so, what do you tell them? We have an anniversary date, we just add several (6!) years to it...but she's gonna catch on eventually.

When I was 20 i found a picture of my mom marrying a guy who wasn't my father... in jail. He was there for murdering a dude..... with a clock (not glock, clock). Finding this information decades into my life made me suspicious of other things, because it was never told to me. I think giving a kid the straight deal as early as possible makes it seem normal and acceptable, as opposed to revealing it years later like you've been sitting on secrets. If my mom married a clock murderer before my father, what else isn't she telling me?
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: The Great Indoor Fight
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2007, 03:07:54 pm »

My wedding ring is made of titanium.  I am not a big jewelry guy; after we got engaged, we went around to jewelry stores to look for rings, and my response to pretty much everything was "meh."  Then in one store I pointed to a titanium ring and said "that's kind of cool-looking."  And she said "That's the most positive reaction you've had to any ring so far.  That's obviously the one."
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: The Great Indoor Fight
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2007, 03:15:23 pm »

I think giving a kid the straight deal as early as possible makes it seem normal and acceptable

A little kid knows so little about the world. When you're six and you hear your mom married a clock murderer, you possess so much less information to compare it to. For all you know, everyone's mom did that sort of thing, and you're just now hearing about it like you're just now hearing about a lot of other things. It's just another piece of data about the world, instead of something that turns all your expectations upside down because, you just don't have that many expectations at that point. Yeah, at some point it's going to occur to you how weird it is, but even then, anything you've known all your life... is just by definition sort of normal and not so traumatizing.

However, playing devil's advocate... My relatives were not big secret keepers, but my best friend's family basically seemed to keep secrets just for the hell of it. It gave her enough material for a whole book about finding out about her mother's life after she died, so at least in the long run she made some money off it.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: The Great Indoor Fight
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2007, 03:16:31 pm »

I once had somebody ask me, "when did your parents tell you that you're adopted." And I said, "when did your parents tell you your name?" It's just a fact I've always known, therefore it wasn't some big deal when I found out.

When engagement ring shopping I saw some titanium wedding bands that I thought looked neat. Naturally the SO thought I manged to find the single ugliest band in the store.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: The Great Indoor Fight
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2007, 03:29:37 pm »

my mom didn't know what her real name was until she was 20 or so and became a US citizen.

apparently Chileans are big on lying-- we just had a conversation yesterday about how my mom grew up basically hating lies because of her mom. Either my parents have been straight up with me and their lives are pretty uninteresting, or there are major secrets that I have not figured out yet.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: The Great Indoor Fight
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2007, 03:38:24 pm »

A little kid knows so little about the world. When you're six and you hear your mom married a clock murderer, you possess so much less information to compare it to. For all you know, everyone's mom did that sort of thing...


So wait, your mom didn't marry a guy who murdered another man with a timepiece?
I like to bring up the story during awkward silences at dinner table company that doesn't know really know my mother. "Mom, tell them about the time you married the prisoner who got murderous on purpose with a clock. Everyone loves that story!"
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: The Great Indoor Fight
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2007, 03:47:00 pm »

Appropos of little, I think sex should now be referred to as "the great indoor fight".

Thank you.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: The Great Indoor Fight
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2007, 03:57:35 pm »

Remember the episode of "Everybody Loves Raymond" where the older brother finds out he was concieved out of wedlock?  Instead of fudging their anniversary, they fudged his birthday, so all of a sudden he discovered he was a year older than he thought.  You could always tell your daughter she's only two. 

Several thoughts on family secrets:

My cousin was born seven months after her parents were married. My grandfather claimed that she (over 8 lbs at birth with a full head of hair) was "premature." 

My great-uncle died when I was six.  When I was seventeen, I found out that while he did, I suppose, technically die "of Alzheimer's," the official cause of death was self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head.  And he took his live-in girlfriend with him.  This was quite a shock.  When I asked my mom about it, she said, "You were too young to understand when it happened, and it never came up after that." 

I also found out when I was about nineteen that something happened when I was very small, which is pretty much the only thing I won't discuss with anyone.  This is mainly because I have absolutely no memory of it, even though it seems I should.  Suffice it to say that I never believed in repressed memories before then, but now I do.  I was terribly upset when this skeleton emerged from the closet, but at the same time I understood why it had never come up before -- Mom thought I must remember and just didn't want to talk about it.  It's been almost ten years since I found out and I'm still not comfortable with it.  But it's an uncomfortable kind of thing -- far more traumatic than discovering that your parents felt that a binding legal contract wasn't necessarily a prerequisite to starting a family together. 

Re: adoption, my in-laws had a similar response when it came to Pedro's oldest brother.  He was to be the first of several adopted children, because they believed they would not be able to have any "homemade" kids.  It turned out they were able to have four more, but they were always open about it and as a youngster the oldest actually lorded it over the younger kids because he "got chose."  He also tried to convince one brother that the younger could be adopted into another family, but the older could not be because "I have already been adopted, you can only do it once."  Hilarious times. 

Finally, we have been struggling with the decision of whether or not to keep Little P's autistic status a secret from him.  Clearly, everyone in the family knows, but we're not sure if he will benefit from understanding that he's different, or if he'll feel held back by the label.  Further complicating our decision is the fact that our nephew, who is seven, is also autistic but has not ever heard that label applied to himself.  He knows that he talked late, went to speech and occupational therapy, and needs special help in the classroom, but he doesn't know his exact diagnosis. 

I'm worried that if Little P gets to be a teenager and discovers the label on his own, he'll be angry at us for not having told him.  But I don't want autism to be an excuse for poor behavior or lack of academic effort.  Especially if he turns out to have typical siblings -- is it more damaging to compare yourself to others whose brains are structured in fundamentally different ways, or to expect less of yourself because you know you have a disability? 

So, in other words, AD, I don't know what you ought to do.  But if you figure it out, let me know. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

RMJ12345

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 45
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 381
  • all employing the principles of hopping
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: The Great Indoor Fight
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2007, 04:20:31 pm »

JL, hope you're doing okay.

I think AD should be honest with the kid if the kid asks. It'll help them come to a more realistic idea of what love and sex are, and how they are connected.

This is off-topic, but as long as we're talking about sex, my mind jumped to gender - does anyone here have any experience with trans issues?

gloomba

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 9
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 63
  • One stomp and he dies . . . . 100 PTS.
    • View Profile
Re: The Great Indoor Fight
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2007, 04:27:13 pm »

I think it's generally a good idea to avoid lying to or keeping secrets from kids if at all possible.  They're going to find out sooner or later, and it's true that you'll get in more trouble for the coverup.

I also don't think that any kid in this day and age would give two shits about whether they were conceived out of wedlock.

Finally, we have been struggling with the decision of whether or not to keep Little P's autistic status a secret from him.

I don't think you should.  He's going to notice he's different, and if he doesn't know why, he'll probably assume it's his fault and that there's something wrong with him.  I think it's in a person's best interest to know as much about himself as possible.

Disclaimer: I don't have kids and probably never will, nor do I have any experience or knowledge of the subject beyond having been one not too long ago.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: The Great Indoor Fight
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2007, 04:32:09 pm »

I had an interesting conversation yesterday where I found out that I am apparently more learning-disabled or whatever than I was aware of. apparently my parents thought they had explained all the details at the time I was tested, and that I still remembered? It is interesting to note that the things I am good at are the same as the things I am supposed to be bad at, though. Also, things I have always struggled with without realizing it now have an explanation. It was also interesting to learn that certain slight social issues I have (for instance: tendency to blather endlessly without catching myself) were predicted.

The one thing I got a huge laugh out of is that apparently they told my parents that I had an unbelievably hard time memorizing random strings of numbers. This has made itself evident recently (I volunteered for a lot psych experiments because I had to for my psych class, and I got very very frustrated with several of them. As did the experimenter. Well, i guess every study has to have some outliers.)

they also told my parents that I'm really smart. So, that's a good thing to be told, as long as they're telling me all the things they were told I was going to be really bad at (some of which I am actually really bad at, and some of which I am really good at for some reason.)

JL-- I would say tell him that he has been diagnosed as autistic, and tell him that it effects different people to different degrees? I would say that that way you can keep him from feeling lied to when he learns about it later, but without giving him any preconceptions about what he will be bad at.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up