Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Barely passed Oregon driver's test. Lots of rules about Yielding to the Distraught and slow-moving salmon trucks on one-way switchbacks.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Flight of the Conchords  (Read 6542 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Flight of the Conchords
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2007, 01:44:54 pm »

Yeah, ok All the Humans are Dead is hilarious.
But now the one on the left is reminding me of Benicio Del Toro. This isn't that bad, I'm just afraid he's going to cut me.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Flight of the Conchords
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2007, 06:00:10 pm »

Yeah, they do a really unique type of humor that I happen to love, but I can definitely see how others wouldn't.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Flight of the Conchords
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2007, 06:15:53 pm »

I like some of the songs but... man, I dunno.

I hate to be all David Spade here but I liked it more back when it was called "Tenacious D".

I know that this is the easy lazy thing to say but, dammit, sometimes the easy lazy thing isn't always wrong.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Flight of the Conchords
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2007, 06:44:24 pm »

If you could map a 'Deadpan' vs 'CUURAAAAAZY WOOOOYEAAAH' spectrum, the Conchords and D would be at completely opposite fuck*ng ends.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Flight of the Conchords
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2007, 08:48:34 pm »

Quote
If you could map a 'Deadpan' vs 'CUURAAAAAZY WOOOOYEAAAH' spectrum, the Conchords and D would be at completely opposite fuck*ng ends.

QFT.

My favorite song is "If you're into it" because it is so cute and awkward. Also, because the scene where he plays it and suddenly Jemaine pops up is hilarious.

I also like "I'm not Crying"
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Flight of the Conchords
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2007, 10:23:39 pm »

If you could map a 'Deadpan' vs 'CUURAAAAAZY WOOOOYEAAAH' spectrum, the Conchords and D would be at completely opposite fuck*ng ends.
Yeah this is spot on, they both go in for a kind of self-parody but I think the humour comes from a very different place.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Flight of the Conchords
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2007, 10:53:46 pm »

I have to agree with everybody else here, LFM, but I like neither, although Flight of the Concords is slightly better.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Flight of the Conchords
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2007, 05:55:32 pm »

A bunch of us at work are Concords fans, and every once in a while someone will say "I miss Britt" (Brett) and then someone else will chirp in with "Yeah, I miss Britt too" in their Kiwi accent.

Also, whenever I meet someone from New Zealand now I always say "I love Australia!"  Sometimes they get really pissed.

Beatrice

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 280
    • View Profile
Re: Flight of the Conchords
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2007, 08:39:21 pm »

when i got back from new zealand last january i proudly told my australian climatology professor where i'd just been.  within two questions he ascertained i had not stepped onto the australian mainland and was therefore completely unimpressed. it is like kentucky versus indiana with the hoosiers jokes, but on a much larger scale.

bret you got it going on is good.

and has anyone mentioned Bowie in Space?  that whole episode is awesome. 

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Flight of the Conchords
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2007, 11:53:22 pm »

it is like kentucky versus indiana with the hoosiers jokes, but on a much larger scale.

The New Zealanders have a joke where "When a Kiwi emigrates to Oz, the average IQ increases on both sides of the Tasman Strait".  Aussies don't like that one much.  Sometimes they try to reverse it, but no ones buying that.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Flight of the Conchords
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2007, 02:08:03 am »

When in New Zealand, say "You guys are like the Canadians of Australia, right?"  They like that.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Flight of the Conchords
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2008, 01:24:12 pm »

NEW ZEALAND: WHY NOT?

I miss Brett.  Do you miss Brett?

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: Flight of the Conchords
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2008, 10:08:06 pm »

I saw them day before yesterday, just before I saw the Flaming Lips.

During "The Humans are Dead", Jemaine quipped, "Yoshimi could not save you."

It was good.
Logged
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up