Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Sssshhh...I'm discovering Sleater-Kinney. This is a special time in a boy's life.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Vanilla  (Read 3025 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Vanilla
« on: November 12, 2007, 04:13:29 am »

We have family that travels down to Mexico every year, and for some reason they bring me back vanilla everytime - because it "cheap and very good quality stuff."  I almost never bake, and when I do it's out of a box, but I have bottles and bottles of pure vanilla from their trips.  I hate for it to go to waste... any suggestions for the best way to use up a lot of vanilla?
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Vanilla
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2007, 04:30:37 am »

We have family that travels down to Mexico every year, and for some reason they bring me back vanilla everytime - because it "cheap and very good quality stuff."  I almost never bake, and when I do it's out of a box, but I have bottles and bottles of pure vanilla from their trips.  I hate for it to go to waste... any suggestions for the best way to use up a lot of vanilla?

Hmmm...Baking a bunch of stuff for the holidays would be really fun and a great way to churn through your vanilla stockpile. So would making intensely-flavored homemade vanilla ice cream. I'm sure there are better uses, i.e., uses that involve alcohol. I would love to have some of that authentic vanilla stuff, it sounds delicious.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Vanilla
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2007, 02:47:01 pm »

Give it away to friends who bake? I don't think there are any recipes that would use massive quantities at once.

A suggestion I once read: if you have lots of an ingredient, go find the website of the association that promotes that ingredient - the dairy council, the pork producers, whatever - they are usually full of recipes. I wonder if there is a trade association for vanilla extract?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Vanilla
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2007, 04:09:33 pm »

Ha.. right - the internet.  How can I forget to use the internet when I'm on the internet? 

www.vanilla.com has many a recipe, but some of it sounds pretty gross.  I don't want to eat a main entree that tastes like vanilla.  That just seems wrong to me.  I could pretend I'm on Iron Chef and make 5 courses of all vanilla inspired stuff from the site, but the idea makes me want to puke.  I like the taste of vanilla in a beverage or dessert, but not as a meal additive to giraffe.  I suppose if it were subtle enough... but I have about 2 liters worth of pure extract here! 
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Vanilla
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2007, 04:44:20 pm »

Is it in whole bean form? Whole vanilla beans go multiple bucks a pop.
Also, if you access to a high output laser, this trick will get you laid every time. Take a wine glass, place it upside down on the vanilla bean. Shoot the bean with the laser until you see a slight fog/mist inside the glass, let this happen. Now turn glass back upright and fill with wine. The oils of the vanilla bean have vaporised just enough to coat the inside of the glass with their magic. Delicious.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Vanilla
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2007, 06:00:14 pm »

No - it's the liquid extract.  But you get serious points for suggesting using a laser.  Do you make this drink for you lady?
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Vanilla
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2007, 07:07:42 pm »

No - it's the liquid extract.  But you get serious points for suggesting using a laser.  Do you make this drink for you lady?
Naturally. Light amplification by stimulated emission of radiation isnt used enough in mixology.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Vanilla
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2007, 02:08:27 pm »

I just saw this today.

Sea Bass with Vanilla Cream Sauce: http://www.theperfectpantry.com/2007/11/pure-vanilla-ex.html
Logged

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Vanilla
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2007, 12:44:21 am »

Dammit, s_s, please make a 'Merican sized batch of homemade vanilla ice cream. Baby Jesus commands you.

Also, some blueberry bread pudding with whiskey cream sauce would be an excellent accompaniment to said ice cream. You don't have to use the entire 2 liters of vanilla extract on one recipe. Maybe also bake some Christmas cookies for the neighbours?
Logged

chuanoplast

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 33
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 234
  • Most Painful Part
    • View Profile
    • Stupid Blog
Re: Vanilla
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2007, 05:31:10 am »

How about spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, vanilla, spam, spam, spam, spam, and spam?
Logged
The most important decision in my life: the rabbit mug or the monkey mug. (PS I GOT THE KITTY MUG)

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Vanilla
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2007, 05:38:38 am »

oh my goodness, I forgot about Spam.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Vanilla
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2007, 06:41:50 am »

Sshh, dear, don't cause a fuss. I'll have your spam. I love it. I'm having spam spam spam spam spam spam spam vanilla spam spam spam and spam!

Oh dear.  Suddenly the s.p.a.m combination of letters ceases to have meaning for me.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Vanilla
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2007, 04:15:35 pm »

Wait... what?  Vanilla giraffe?  Vanilla spam?  I think I just threw up a little bit - in my mind.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Vanilla
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2007, 06:23:46 pm »

Wait... what?  Vanilla giraffe?  Vanilla spam?  I think I just threw up a little bit - in my mind.

Hey, you asked for non-baked goods and I provided. I've had successes with other recipes on that blog so I wouldn't dismiss the vanilla giraffe out of hand. You don't even need to use sea bass if that's an ecological concern.
Logged

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Vanilla
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2007, 12:30:38 am »

Heh... I think that chuanoplast has been awake for tooooooo long! Get some sleep, yo!
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up