Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Making money from art is not vulgar. Art is a commodity. It makes people feel something. It raises the greater sum of human happiness. It increases the gaiety of the nation. It has a value. -John Allison

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Song lyrics which are morally repugnant to you?  (Read 9914 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

RMJ12345

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 45
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 381
  • all employing the principles of hopping
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: Song lyrics which are morally repugnant to you?
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2007, 06:06:24 am »

When they come to take you down
When they bring that wagon around
Just one thing I ask of you
Just one thing to do
Please forget you knew my name
My darlin'
Sugaree


Excellent, thanks guys, I've been wondering.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Song lyrics which are morally repugnant to you?
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2007, 06:44:33 am »

I like this better because it means that both parties are grieving.

I guess that's not clear, but I was agreeing with your interpretation.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: Song lyrics which are morally repugnant to you?
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2007, 01:10:01 am »

I've gotten a little bit annoyed by that "Lips of an Angel" song - it didn't bother me at first, but listening to women around me bitch about it, it starts to make sense. Dude's talking to his ex while his current chick is in the next room, and how he wishes he was still with the first chick. Boo to that noise. Grow a spine, dick.
Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Song lyrics which are morally repugnant to you?
« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2007, 03:17:28 am »

That album is fuck*ng great. I'm sorry you don't like that song, though.

Oh but I do like that song.  I'm just saying, I could understand how one might think it takes a dim view of women.
You don't have to deal with the dealers
Let your boyfriend deal with the dealers
It only gets inconvenient
When you want to get high alone
You don't have to go to the right kind of schools
Let your boyfriend come from the right kind of schools
You can wear his old sweatshirt
You can cover yourself like a bruise

Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Song lyrics which are morally repugnant to you?
« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2007, 03:51:35 am »

I've gotten a little bit annoyed by that "Lips of an Angel" song - it didn't bother me at first, but listening to women around me bitch about it, it starts to make sense. Dude's talking to his ex while his current chick is in the next room, and how he wishes he was still with the first chick. Boo to that noise. Grow a spine, dick.

Yeah, that song has some pretty repugnant lyrics when you get right down to it. (I believe it's also implied that the ex also has a new guy? Never mind that the whole thing has overtones of "we were emotionally horrible for each other and broke up over it, but we want to get back together because you gave fantastic blowjobs" -- or maybe that's just my interpretation of the "lips of an angel" bit.
Logged

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Song lyrics which are morally repugnant to you?
« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2007, 04:31:49 am »

Something that I've never understood is why people loved the song "Follow Me" by Uncle Kracker. It's a song about a homewrecker, so it always mystified me when stupid girls in college swooned and shrieked, "I LUV THIS SONG!" whenever the DJ played it.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2007, 04:40:24 am by linnea »
Logged

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Song lyrics which are morally repugnant to you?
« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2007, 05:03:48 am »

Oh but I do like that song.  I'm just saying, I could understand how one might think it takes a dim view of women.
You don't have to deal with the dealers
Let your boyfriend deal with the dealers
It only gets inconvenient
When you want to get high alone
You don't have to go to the right kind of schools
Let your boyfriend come from the right kind of schools
You can wear his old sweatshirt
You can cover yourself like a bruise



I can see how people might think it takes a dim view of a certain type of woman, namely the type who lacks ambition and self-reliance. Kind of like the rest of the drunken burnouts that make up the rich scenery of The Hold Steady's lyrics.

I mean, once you realize all of their songs are about awful human beings, it's hard to take just one and extrapolate a deeper meaning from its critical portrayal of a character. Everyone in their songs is nasty in his or her own special but connected way.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2007, 05:09:47 am by melack »
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: Song lyrics which are morally repugnant to you?
« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2007, 05:05:50 am »

I'm not sure about moral repugnance, but I have a visceral hatred of really whiny guys singing songs. Like Joshua Kadison or that song that just makes me want to scream by that nutless James Blunt character.
Logged

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: Song lyrics which are morally repugnant to you?
« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2007, 06:14:23 am »

Something that I've never understood is why people loved the song "Follow Me" by Uncle Kracker. It's a song about a homewrecker, so it always mystified me when stupid girls in college swooned and shrieked, "I LUV THIS SONG!" whenever the DJ played it.

I heard this song played at a wedding reception once.  This is why you find out if your DJ has another job or actually makes an entire living from this.  Professionals do not play songs about infidelity at a wedding.  I hope.

Brown Sugar is an awesome song, but I feel guilty about thinking that.  I got really uncomfortable when Greg Gumbel called it his favorite song ever.

Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Song lyrics which are morally repugnant to you?
« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2007, 01:12:16 pm »

I heard this song played at a wedding reception once.  This is why you find out if your DJ has another job or actually makes an entire living from this.  Professionals do not play songs about infidelity at a wedding.  I hope.

Brown Sugar is an awesome song, but I feel guilty about thinking that.  I got really uncomfortable when Greg Gumbel called it his favorite song ever.

Oh god, somebody played it at a wedding reception? Hunt's move!
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Song lyrics which are morally repugnant to you?
« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2007, 01:31:38 pm »

the one I'll always wonder about is
Quote
back in 99
watching movies all the time
is when i went away for my first crime

what was his first crime? why is the defining characteristic of this period that he frequently watched movies? I listened to this song so many times this summer while washing dishes at my job, and it never became clear to me.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: Song lyrics which are morally repugnant to you?
« Reply #41 on: November 27, 2007, 07:37:47 pm »

It's so dirty when it's in the right mood
Give it some brandy and some Chinese food
Take her for a spin on your stereo jack
Tell her she's the best girl you've ever had
Give it some gold to put round its neck
Bet her old man puts you on the deck
But it's so dirty with me - it's so dirty with me
It's so dirty with me - it's so dirty with me


It's So Dirty - Squeeze

I love Squeeze, but this is pretty uncomfortable listening; arguments abound as to whether they're 'ironic', but I think the use of the word 'it' when referring to a human is registering pretty high on the moralrepugnomometer despite the best intentions of Messrs Difford and Tillbrook.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: Song lyrics which are morally repugnant to you?
« Reply #42 on: November 27, 2007, 09:17:29 pm »

"I like girls that wear Abercrombie & Fitch.
Chinese food makes me sick."





Condemnable.
Logged
ACHIEVE

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Song lyrics which are morally repugnant to you?
« Reply #43 on: November 27, 2007, 10:07:21 pm »

"I like girls that wear Abercrombie & Fitch.
Chinese food makes me sick."





Condemnable.

You have to at least appreciate his ability to handle the issue of diarrhea with such tact.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Song lyrics which are morally repugnant to you?
« Reply #44 on: November 27, 2007, 10:19:07 pm »

"I like girls that wear Abercrombie & Fitch.
Chinese food makes me sick."





Condemnable.

Which part?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up