Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood There are only five Wodehouse books on my special Wodehouse shelf?! As Jeeves himself might ask, "Where in the fuck are the rest of them."

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: The 56 Geeks  (Read 8470 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: The 56 Geeks
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2007, 03:41:18 am »

d'oh!

I looked at these last week, and didn't remember. oops.
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: The 56 Geeks
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2007, 04:49:41 am »

Did I miss the Monty Python Geek?
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: The 56 Geeks
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2007, 04:55:12 am »

Did I miss the Monty Python Geek?

BURMA!
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: The 56 Geeks
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2007, 06:20:43 am »

I thought a geek was someone that was really good at something, namely technology.

So has geek been redefined to mean really into something?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: The 56 Geeks
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2007, 07:02:35 am »

I thought a geek was a guy in a carnival who bit the heads off of animals.
Logged

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: The 56 Geeks
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2007, 10:40:52 pm »

My definition was always "a nerd with social skills."
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: The 56 Geeks
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2007, 11:10:22 pm »

oh, really?
I think of it as the opposite.

I mean, obviously, we can consult a source on this.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Pedro Picasso

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 39
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 599
  • What the HECK, Dora?!
    • View Profile
Re: The 56 Geeks
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2008, 07:35:26 pm »

In the world of clique techtonics, there are three major groups: culture, counter, and dork.  Culture houses jocks and preps, etc.  Counter is for goth, punk, etc.  Dork is where you get your geeks and nerds.  Dorks lack the proper social skills to fit in with either the culture or the counter-culture.  All geeks and nerds are dorks, but not all dorks fit into these categories.  Geeks and nerds are generally notable for an interest in knowledge.  Nerds those whose pursuits are solitary and generally academic in nature.  Geeks tend to be into more trivial subjects and tend to congregate around them.  Hence you have the "math nerd" and the "board game geek".  But wait, wouldn't socialization take geeks out of the dork classification?  Not really, because you don't have to be good at socializing to fit in with geeks.  They are usually very accepting of a wide variety of social protocols.  That's why the tattooed, foul-mouthed Warhammer geek and the bad-smelling Star Wars tie-wearing computer geek can both rock out to MC Frontalot and have a fun conversation about the merits of Tom Bombadil without totally getting on each other's nerves.

Technically this definition would make nerdcore hip-hop a geek thing and not a nerd thing.  But "geekcore" sounds like a chicken-biting organization, and no one's into that.

PS - Yes I did make this up, but I did so more than a decade ago, which is like 80 internet-years.  So it's basically a set of traditionally-held views at this point.
Logged

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: The 56 Geeks
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2008, 07:40:05 pm »

Well, its a can-worthy thesis in my view.  Pretty consistent with my own experience.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: The 56 Geeks
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2008, 10:13:42 pm »

See?  See why I married him? 

Oh, and Pedro -- you're getting old.  You came up with this way more than ten years ago.  More like, oh, fifteen or so.  I think you had this one before we met, if not shortly thereafter. 

You made this up before AOL was invented.  That's pretty much the mesozoic era of the internet. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: The 56 Geeks
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2008, 10:28:09 pm »

See?  See why I married him? 

Oh, and Pedro -- you're getting old.  You came up with this way more than ten years ago.  More like, oh, fifteen or so.  I think you had this one before we met, if not shortly thereafter. 

You made this up before AOL was invented.  That's pretty much the mesozoic era of the internet. 

Not to nitpick, but I remember using WAOL v1.1 in 93 or 94. In fact it's how I got my current name.
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: The 56 Geeks
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2008, 01:12:03 am »

I knew somebody would look that up to prove me wrong. 

Oh well. At least it got to be you, CJ.   ;)
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: The 56 Geeks
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2008, 05:09:31 am »

WAOL 1.1 was 1994.  I used it in college, when my town had a single 2400 baud POP for AOL.  They had a 10-character limit at that point, though, so I'm betting that 8 was 1993 era or so.  I think I still have a bunch of those floppy disks, but now I don't have any computers that can read them. :(

I'm still kicking myself for not getting a 6-digit ICQ like all my buddies did.
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

Dexter

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 119
  • Some mothers should not be turned out.
    • View Profile
Re: The 56 Geeks
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2008, 01:12:48 pm »

WAOL 1.1 was 1994.  I used it in college, when my town had a single 2400 baud POP for AOL.  They had a 10-character limit at that point, though, so I'm betting that 8 was 1993 era or so.  I think I still have a bunch of those floppy disks, but now I don't have any computers that can read them. :(

I'm still kicking myself for not getting a 6-digit ICQ like all my buddies did.
I have a six-digit ICQ number which I never even log into anymore.  Everyone I talked to on ICQ has moved on to other services that don't suck.
Logged
Y'all don't know what it's like, bein' male, middle-class and white.

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: The 56 Geeks
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2008, 04:24:12 pm »

2340573, muthafuckas!

But yeah, I haven't installed ICQ on the last three computers I've owned. After a while, the only people who ever messaged me were people from Ghana and the Phillipines. Either men asking for money or women wanting to get married so they could come to America.
Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up