Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

No, Philippe! Too soon!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: A dude has arrived  (Read 2873 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
A dude has arrived
« on: December 17, 2007, 02:59:29 pm »

It appears that Achewood is officially mainstream.  Does that mean we have to start hating it now?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: A dude has arrived
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2007, 03:11:23 pm »

I liked it before it was cool
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: A dude has arrived
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2007, 06:11:32 pm »

Man.  There goes my indie cred. 

Oh, wait!  I forgot.  I never had any! 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: A dude has arrived
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2007, 06:21:31 pm »

I reckon that once you start accumulating rogue message boards, you're officially "arrived" and Time Magazine is more a confirmation of it than an actual next-step-up.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: A dude has arrived
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2007, 07:30:51 pm »

Does anyone know if this was in the print edition or just on the website?  We don't have to worry about being totally boringly mainstream unless it was in print, right?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: A dude has arrived
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2007, 07:51:32 pm »

Looking at the other top 10 lists on that site, it seems online only.  My dad gets both Newsweek and Time, I think, so I can find out in a couple days if no answer by then.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: A dude has arrived
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2007, 08:30:36 pm »

I was really surprised to see Erfworld in there. Hopefully this will prod them into updating on a more regular schedule
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: A dude has arrived
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2007, 08:58:00 pm »

I checked yesterday-- it wasn't in the print edition. My dad thought i was a fool, because I said "oh! the new Time!" and then grabbed it, flipped through it too fast to read anything, and then put it down disappointedly.

I have never heard of any of the other things in the top 10, I believe. I had also not heard any of the "songs of the year."
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: A dude has arrived
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2007, 09:09:48 pm »

I think Erfworld is definitely worth a look. It felt like it started kind of slow but maybe that's just because I was reading the pages 2 a week as they were being put up instead of straight through.

I still haven't actually heard anything from LCD Soundsystem's latest album although I keep hearing how great it is. But I bought their last album due to glowing reviews and only kind of like two songs.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: A dude has arrived
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2007, 09:22:54 pm »

It is weird to me that I have not heard the "Songs of the Year," considering I am in charge of New Music at a radio station.
Lately I feel like I am pretty bad at my job. The other Music Director reviewed almost 100 CDs this semester.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: A dude has arrived
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2007, 09:25:54 pm »

I checked yesterday-- it wasn't in the print edition.

What a relief!
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: A dude has arrived
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2007, 09:35:20 pm »

I know! Pretty soon TOUAMB would have been swamped by a ton of little teenage shits who were into prescriptive grammar and celebreality TV.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Victoria Waterfield

  • Molly
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 336
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 739
  • FUCK YOU, MIKE!
    • View Profile
Re: A dude has arrived
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2007, 09:58:38 pm »

I know! Pretty soon TOUAMB would have been swamped by a ton of little teenage shits who were into prescriptive grammar and celebreality TV.

Oh man, I hate on some snot-nosed punks who don't realize that a preposition is a perfectly fine type of word to end a sentence with.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: A dude has arrived
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2007, 10:29:08 pm »

Victoria does not have nearly enough tiny cans of Dr Pepper, don't you agree?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: A dude has arrived
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2007, 10:46:24 pm »

Not nearly enough.
Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up