Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

You..Are..Rad

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16   Go Down

Author Topic: Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!  (Read 42433 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2008, 02:51:05 pm »

In other pretend sports leagues... look who took over the #3 spot in hockey in the last week of the regular season.

(Me!  I did.)
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2008, 03:08:56 pm »

Good Lord yes, play!

The more the merrier!
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2008, 03:54:11 pm »

A Pretend Sports league without Keith Hernandez is like a rail of coke without a nostril. But, you know, the good kind of coke. The coke we need. Keith, we need you.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2008, 02:25:49 am »

Joooooooin us! Joooooooin us!

(Seriously, it is fun as hell and... becomes more fun the more teams there are. The more Pretend Baseball Teams there are, the less stars every team has and the more challenging the game is because you have to figure out which role-players will be good enough of what you can get.)
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!
« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2008, 04:17:13 am »

There are also more options for hilarious trade requests.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2008, 04:45:00 am »

Such as fleecing me for Lastings Milledge, just because I still can't get over the fact that the Mets gave him up for two guys who proved to be part-time players EVEN ON THE WASHINGTON EXPOS.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!
« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2008, 03:02:53 pm »

Such as fleecing me for Lastings Milledge, just because I still can't get over the fact that the Mets gave him up for two guys who proved to be part-time players EVEN ON THE WASHINGTON EXPOS.

Schneider was our #1 catcher.  Played about as much as any starting catcher in the bigs.

Church, yeah, he was a part-timer pretty much.

In hockey news, I scratched and clawed through the latter half of the season to get the #3 spot and a first-round playoff date with the last-place team.  Which is now kicking my ass.  Too perfect.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!
« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2008, 03:09:44 pm »

Well, The Schnide hits like a part-timer, anyway...

I mean, I don't care if you're a gold-glover, you can't hit under .230 and be a starting position player in the majors. A defensive replacement guy off the bench? Okay, fine... but a starter? I don't buy it.

ALSO: Dude's defense is also slowly falling off.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!
« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2008, 04:53:50 pm »

My feelings on Mr. Milledge have been detailed at length. I'm going to avoid the temptation to jump into it again.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!
« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2008, 05:06:40 am »

How many did we have in the league last year?

I'm shootin' for the goal of at-least two more teams than we had last year.

A lady-type Pretend General Manager or two would also be radical.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!
« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2008, 03:21:30 pm »

Wombat to the rescue!

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!
« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2008, 04:33:35 pm »

So I'm thinking I'll pull the trigger on the autodraft Friday night (3/21) so that everyone has the time to make their adjustments in case they've got any Red Sox or As on their rosters as the first two weeks of the season are going to count as one competition because there are so few games in that first week.

Any objections?

Also, c'mon. Four more teams! Four more teams!
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!
« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2008, 08:28:22 pm »

Sounds good. Also, good luck to anyone who gets John "Out For the First Month" Lackey.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!
« Reply #43 on: March 16, 2008, 04:33:09 am »

...I just spent a good long while "excluding" from my pre-draft preferences every Brave, every Yankee and every Met that I don't consider a true Met so that I don't have to cheer for nobody I don't wanna cheer for.

Mets on my shit-list:

Church who I have dubbed "Platoon"... Castillo who I have dubbed "Gimpy McBanjo"... Delgado who I will alternately call "Delgono" or "Shitbird"... Schneider who I have dubbed "The Schnide"... Alou who shall be "Princess" because of his inability to sleep with a pea in his mattress without getting injured... Schoeneweis who I have dubbed "Horror Show" aaaaaaaand El Duque who will be called "El DL".

Oh my God, the Mets have a great 1-through-4 of the rotation, a great bench, a solid bullpen and... just the... creakiest, oldest, most injury-prone and suspect starting eight in the history of the game.

Everybody other than Reyes Wright and Beltran is either... beat to shit with injuries or not a legitimate everyday starter. Alou can't stay healthy, Delgado's done, Castillo can't stay healthy OR hit for extrabases, Church can't hit lefties to save his life and Schneider is just an embarrassment, the Mendoza Line is ashamed to be in the same room as him.

Ahhh. Fuck.

I need baseball, I am jonsing, I am still jonsing.

(C'mon... only eight Pretend Baseball teams? We had twelve Pretend Football teams. Where are you other four hiding?)
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!
« Reply #44 on: March 16, 2008, 01:21:50 pm »

(C'mon... only eight Pretend Baseball teams? We had twelve Pretend Football teams. Where are you other four hiding?)

I'm still on the fence. As much as I love baseball and am also jonesing for it (because racing's only on Sunday, there's not enough hockey on TV, and basketball is... well, you know), I know jack shit about individual players and whether they are good or not. If I sat down and listed every active baseball player I could think of, I honestly think 20% of my list would be players who are actually retired. I understand how fantasy football works, and that a hot RB who makes do on an otherwise shitty football team is still a decent player to have. I don't know if that's the case in fantasy baseball.
Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16   Go Up