Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Have some dignity.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ordinary Heroes  (Read 2984 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Pedro Picasso

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 39
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 599
  • What the HECK, Dora?!
    • View Profile
Re: Ordinary Heroes
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2008, 01:02:11 pm »

lately it seems like my weakness is that people will always think I am being Completely Serious when I jokingly say mean or offensive things.
Also, that people who are doing some kind of service for me (serving my dinner, bagging my groceries) will misunderstand something I say and think I'm insulting them, or failing to tip, etc. Normally I am just being paranoid, but I have gotten some major Dirty Looks this week.

You might just be paranoid.  Whenever I'm in a bad mood, I notice all of my social interactions are terrible, even when I'm trying to be nice.  But when I bring it up later, people say, "No, you were fine yesterday.  There's no problem."  Maybe we just interpret things as dirty looks when we feel bad to begin with.
Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Ordinary Heroes
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2008, 02:31:55 pm »

lately it seems like my weakness is that people will always think I am being Completely Serious when I jokingly say mean or offensive things.

I have the opposite effect.  I can say something mean and offensive and have people think I'm joking.

Softball player on the team Carlos used to manage:  "Justin's really good!  Why don't you play him more often?"
Carlos:  "Because I don't like him."
"Ha!"
"You think I'm joking."
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Ordinary Heroes
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2008, 02:52:48 pm »

oh, no, see.

I carried a ton of groceries by hand up to the register, and then the girl put them into bags, and I said "huh, I guess that was pretty stupid..."
and she got an upset look on her face and said "oh, did you want it in different bags, sir. Did I hear you wrong?"

Any time where I have to explain my behavior by saying "oh, no, I was just talking to myself" is a net loss in my book.

edit/update: my other weakness would be that... somehow I get disoriented and wake up 3 hours early, walk across campus, and take a few minutes to realize I wasn't supposed to be in class until 1 PM today.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 03:41:36 pm by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up