Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I haven't had a haircut since July. I'm hoping to, "wait it out."

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: March 20 2008 - If homeless people are so clever, how come they can't fly?  (Read 6523 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile

That is painful, but you know what's painfuller?  Watching that same someone represent himself in a divorce lawsuit.  The blue suit, the comic persona not masking the pain inside, the ex-wife's lawyer getting in successful one-liners about whether his testimony is a stand-up routine.  I saw that once and I never want to see it again.

The Saddest Thing.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile

That is painful, but you know what's painfuller?  Watching that same someone represent himself in a divorce lawsuit.  The blue suit, the comic persona not masking the pain inside, the ex-wife's lawyer getting in successful one-liners about whether his testimony is a stand-up routine.  I saw that once and I never want to see it again.

In what capacity where you there? The way I see it, you were either the judge, the bailiff, or the ex-wife's new squeeze.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun

"huh, I'm presiding over this divorce case coming up... I'd better go see his stand-up routine in advance, just to be prepared."
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Dangermoose

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 51
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 191
    • View Profile

In what capacity where you there? The way I see it, you were either the judge, the bailiff, or the ex-wife's new squeeze.

I was a student intern, kind of being a bailiff, rolling tape on the debacle.  I actually witnessed several hearings with this guy, each one sadder than the last.  See, at the start, he had a lawyer.  Then the money ran out.  For a while, he would sort of maintain his "funnyman" demeanor, as though he was bombing in some smoky club instead of a courtroom.  But in the last hearing I saw, he cried.

I'm serious, this was not cool.
Logged

Turbo Ninja

  • A Tall Glass of Tuaca
  • Mr. Bear (Cornelius)
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 125
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 689
    • View Profile
Logged

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile

You can judge this book by its cover.
Thanks for that 30 minute diversion into learning about PS disasters.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

chuanoplast

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 33
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 234
  • Most Painful Part
    • View Profile
    • Stupid Blog

Also, you can totally judge a book by its cover.  I like those new Penguin classics with the indie cartoonists doing the covers.  That cover says to me "here's a dusty bit of old literature that we think the hip grad student set might like" and that right there is a sale.  Also 60s and 70s paperbacks.  All of them.

I bought Gravity's Rainbow because it had a cool rocketship diagram on the cover. Damn you Penguin, what with all your crazy covers.
Logged
The most important decision in my life: the rabbit mug or the monkey mug. (PS I GOT THE KITTY MUG)

colmore

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 56
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 379
  • Sorry Mom, Sorry Dad, Sorry College
    • View Profile

V and The Crying of Lot 49 aren't such chores.
Logged
In Capitalist America, bank robs you!

chuanoplast

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 33
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 234
  • Most Painful Part
    • View Profile
    • Stupid Blog

Those two are in the "Three easiest Pynchon books to read" list.
Logged
The most important decision in my life: the rabbit mug or the monkey mug. (PS I GOT THE KITTY MUG)

Turbo Ninja

  • A Tall Glass of Tuaca
  • Mr. Bear (Cornelius)
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 125
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 689
    • View Profile

I bought Gravity's Rainbow because it had a cool rocketship diagram on the cover. Damn you Penguin, what with all your crazy covers.

I picked up a new Dharma Bums because it had Japhy and Ray rendered as cartoon dogs.
Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up