Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Fnord.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: I hate Apple  (Read 26463 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: I hate Apple
« Reply #90 on: November 23, 2008, 02:40:23 am »

A disc can only spin so fast but flash memory has a pretty hard limit on how many write/rewrites it has in it's lifetime.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: I hate Apple
« Reply #91 on: November 23, 2008, 04:10:55 am »

Yeeeeeah, you guys have definitely lapped me in this thread, in terms of technical knowledge.

I can turn the thing on and find the place where you type in a concept and then it gives you pornography about that concept and... that's as far as I go, generally.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: I hate Apple
« Reply #92 on: November 23, 2008, 04:51:39 am »

Pornography about flash memory?
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: I hate Apple
« Reply #93 on: November 23, 2008, 05:08:20 am »

Pornography about remembering a flasher!
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: I hate Apple
« Reply #94 on: November 23, 2008, 09:08:55 am »

A disc can only spin so fast but flash memory has a pretty hard limit on how many write/rewrites it has in it's lifetime.
say waat? This is new information to me
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: I hate Apple
« Reply #95 on: November 23, 2008, 11:00:18 am »

say waat? This is new information to me

Yeah, each block of memory on a flash drive can only be rewritten so many times. A quick bit of gooling suggests I'm wrong about this being as much of a problem anymore though, it seems modern drives are good for a couple of million rewrites, compared to say 100k a few years ago when I first picked up this bit of information.

This was the first thing I found about it on google. I'm not sure if that site is in the business of selling the things and I don't know enough to know if it's on the level or not but the broad explanation syncs up with what I've heard before.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: I hate Apple
« Reply #96 on: November 23, 2008, 11:46:46 am »

Yeah, each block of memory on a flash drive can only be rewritten so many times. A quick bit of gooling suggests I'm wrong about this being as much of a problem anymore though, it seems modern drives are good for a couple of million rewrites, compared to say 100k a few years ago when I first picked up this bit of information.

This was the first thing I found about it on google. I'm not sure if that site is in the business of selling the things and I don't know enough to know if it's on the level or not but the broad explanation syncs up with what I've heard before.
OK, so forgive my ignorance, but why can't SSD use the same technology as RAM?
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: I hate Apple
« Reply #97 on: November 23, 2008, 12:33:40 pm »

No idea. At a guess I'd say it's a cost limitation. Compare the price of a gig of ram and a 100 gig hdd.
There are RAM SSDs, I just don't know why they aren't more wide spread.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: I hate Apple
« Reply #98 on: November 23, 2008, 04:25:36 pm »

OK, so forgive my ignorance, but why can't SSD use the same technology as RAM?

Because RAM needs electricity to "remember" anything. Hence when you lose your Word document when the power goes out. Flash memory is non-volatile, so your thumb drive doesn't need a battery pack.

The trade-off is "memory wear." When you're talking about thumb drives or cards in cameras most people will either lose or upgrade long before they start to suffer wear-related data loss. But when you start having flash HDs or mp3 players it starts to become an issue. Especially when you have more songs than your flash iPod will hold at once. You're then a lot more likely to make large-scale data updates every time you sync as you pick and choose which playlists you want on there at that moment.

Combine this with the fact that rechargeable batteries have a similar "charge wear" issue and you have a device that screams "planned obsolescence." But as Doc said, newer flash tech is a lot better about memory wear, both in expected write-erase cycles and because of memory spreading techniques that help keep your computer from trying to change bit 0 every single time while leaving bit 999,...,999 totally unused.

HDs don't have the memory wear issue but whenever that disk is spinning there's a chance for mechanical failure. Not to mention wear over time on the moving parts. It's also very delicate while it's moving. IPods try to fight this by spinning up the HD as little as possible and relying on RAM, but if you drop your player while its in the middle of accessing the disk you can cause serious problems.

So in general a flash iPod has a much greater MTBF than a hard drive iPod with similar specs. About the only way an HD unit would last longer was if you never moved them, and completely erased and restored them both every hour for like 2 years. Hell, even then I might put my money on flash.

But of course flash costs a lot more per gigabyte, comes in smaller capacities, and has slower read/write times. Which is why a 120GB Classic costs less than double a 16GB Nano instead of 7.5 times more.


MTBF = Mean Time Between Failures. Higher is better.
Logged

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: I hate Apple
« Reply #99 on: December 07, 2008, 12:31:13 pm »

My cell phone recently broke (it was at least five years old), and when I went to the store I got something much nicer than I am used to.  The cheap, cheap phone was nearly the exact one I got a few years before, and it broke within a few weeks (the reason I was using such an old phone).  Anyways, it is the Samsung a767 Propel, which is basically a fake blackberry probably with way less functions.  It was the second cheapest, which is why I bought it.  Basically ever since the iphone, I have been waiting for an iphone nano of sorts, which would be an ipod+phone+text messaging only.  It seems I have lucked in to this device.  I returned my recently purchased 16gb nano and bought an 8gb micro sd card for like 20 bucks. 

My question:  It says that it will support 8gbs of memory in the manual and such, which is totally cool, but, they have 16gb cards out and I read about people whose phones say they only support 8 but the 16 works.  There is absolutely no info about this to my phone specifically on the internet, so I was wondering if any of you have tried something similar and had it succeed?  Why would it not be able to read the 16gb card?, etc.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 02:04:49 pm by KeithHernandez »
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: I hate Apple
« Reply #100 on: December 07, 2008, 05:19:28 pm »

Yeah, mine takes 8gb max and even then some people say it doesn't work (you need the right firmware/software combo). I would not believe that it would take more than the stated maximum, and as much as I thought I'd want the 16gb, and ended up getting two 8gb cards, I find that I have never needed more than 8gb of stuff on my phone at any given time.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: I hate Apple
« Reply #101 on: December 07, 2008, 10:56:57 pm »

Every time I see this thread title, this song gets stuck in my head. "I hate music, it's got too many notes"... what a great line.

which is better than the other song which pops into my head recently, despite not having heard it since it came out... "Amber" by 311. that BASSLINE, man!

The main technology I hate right now is my laptop. At some point recently the battery completely died, and now I can only use it if it is plugged in. I pull the plug and it dies instantly.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: I hate Apple
« Reply #102 on: December 07, 2008, 11:17:00 pm »

Yeah, mine takes 8gb max and even then some people say it doesn't work (you need the right firmware/software combo). I would not believe that it would take more than the stated maximum, and as much as I thought I'd want the 16gb, and ended up getting two 8gb cards, I find that I have never needed more than 8gb of stuff on my phone at any given time.

See, I have a shit load of music and bought the previously mentioned ipod because it was 16 gb, but yeah, I have had an 8gb player for years and it is definitely doable.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: I hate Apple
« Reply #103 on: December 07, 2008, 11:22:45 pm »

weird question:
when listening to music from your phone, does it just have a headphone jack, or do you need a special adapter-thing?
That is how my phone is, and that just seems so silly to me.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: I hate Apple
« Reply #104 on: December 07, 2008, 11:27:41 pm »

Yeah, I have to have the adapter.  Basically, I have always wanted this and am trying it out.  The adapter is a lot smaller than a separate thing you know?  Also, I was able to return the ipod, which saved me money, and I have a 2nd gen 8 gig, so, I am not out of portable music if it sucks.  Also, the new nano?  To complicated while losing things that actually effect music listening, prefer the old one if it had 16 gigs.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Up