Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood "Supporting" bacon is easy. Who's going to get on the mayonnaise bandwagon with me?

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: 23 April 2008 - Eight Millimeter Balkan Hitting-Porn  (Read 3442 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

IsoscelesLock

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 10
    • View Profile
Re: 23 April 2008 - Eight Millimeter Balkan Hitting-Porn
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2008, 01:13:41 pm »

I thought part of the idea behind the gruesome violence, etc., was that as much of a monster as Alex is we still feel empathy for what the state does to him in the name of rehabilitation?

So the more horrible bits serve the plot.

ACO is one of my favorites, but I'm a sucker for Kubrick, and give any of the great directors a lot of leeway when it comes to judging their films.

(And Dr. Strangelove is probably my favorite Kubrick film, but that's probably due as much to Peter Sellers as Kubrick)

Of course, I love almost everything Terry Gilliam has done, too, so take the above with a grain of salt.

Oh yea, the comic.  This is great.  I, too, did a spit take at "bonch"
Logged

colmore

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 56
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 379
  • Sorry Mom, Sorry Dad, Sorry College
    • View Profile
Re: 23 April 2008 - Eight Millimeter Balkan Hitting-Porn
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2008, 12:16:10 am »

Mind Control = bad is an easy point to make.

Mind Control to tame an unredeemable sociopath = bad is a much bolder statement.  And Kubrick was absolutely going for that idea.  It's why he left out the final chapter of the book, it didn't fit with the way he wanted to read the text.

The problem with the movie is I don't think that the Fark/Southpark crowd who love it so much understand that Alex isn't a sympathetic character.  They're pretty down with enjoying the ideas of rape and violence.

I think this is one of those "rate the film, not the fans" ones.
Logged
In Capitalist America, bank robs you!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up