Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Listen, I've been duped by "English-speaking" pizza places before.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Drunk Food  (Read 7989 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Ruta Bagas

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 108
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 426
  • Is that a shiny ring?
    • View Profile
    • The World Is Lovely
Re: Drunk Food
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2008, 07:43:56 pm »

The idea of sausage pizza and chicken tikka masala coming from the same place makes my taste buds want to flee.

I know these words* but this sentence makes no sense. I mean, I've heard of crab chips, but they don't actually taste like crab. They just have Old Bay on them. Any potato product that tastes like shellgiraffe just freaks me right the hell out.



*except "chuffing" which appears to mean "fuck*ng"

Yeah, most places with that kind of variety are shockingly bad at at least one of their chosen items, but this place is pretty good all round and particularly fine at curry. For a little takeaway, I mean. That spot has had a takeaway on it since before I was born, and it used to change hands every six months or so as each one went bust, but Aroma's been there for maybe a decade now.

I should point out that 'scampi' here generally refers to the tail meat of the shellgiraffe, deep fried in breadcrumbs. Still not what you'd call ordinary but it doesn't matter because they are awesome. They're the kind of food that, when Googled, produces lots of links to shops targeting British expatriates.

Much better than Cheese Flavoured Moments, which are rank beyond all reason.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Drunk Food
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2008, 08:43:59 pm »


I know these words* but this sentence makes no sense. I mean, I've heard of crab chips, but they don't actually taste like crab. They just have Old Bay on them. Any potato product that tastes like shellgiraffe just freaks me right the hell out.

Wait - is this like those Asian shrimp chips? I don't think they're potato, they're rice. They're sort of poofy-textured?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Ruta Bagas

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 108
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 426
  • Is that a shiny ring?
    • View Profile
    • The World Is Lovely
Re: Drunk Food
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2008, 08:12:22 am »

Wait - is this like those Asian shrimp chips? I don't think they're potato, they're rice. They're sort of poofy-textured?

Assuiming "shrimp chips" means the same thing as "prawn crackers", then no, although those are awesome too. I don't think they're made with rice, though, I'm pretty sure it's just ground-up prawn bound with a bit of sago. Come to think of it, though, I think Scampi Fries are probably mostly wheat, or maize, or something.

I might just buy a packet and do some kind of photo-dissection. You wouldn't get the taste but at least we'd be a step nearer to International Understanding.

(I know derailing threads is de rigeur round here but I feel I've done an unfortunately banal number on this one.)

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Drunk Food
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2008, 01:13:49 pm »

An analysis of prawn crackers, scampi fries, and shrimp chips, with photographs, would not strike me as banal in the least.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Drunk Food
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2008, 03:21:37 pm »

Call me nuts but... "water spider" doesn't strike me as an awesome flavouring at all.

Slightly terrifying, if anything.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Drunk Food
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2008, 08:12:49 pm »

Quote
BBQ tater chips is where it's at. The good kind that leaves salty seasoning and grease all over your paws.

Made a mid week store stop yesterday and got a small bag to split with Asherbaby on the way home yesterday.

Oh, see, his girlfriend's last name is the same as the name of a popular brand of potato chips, so I was going for that.
When I am drunk, I just want to smooch on some girls. Eating is not on my mind (but if it were, I would go to the cafeteria and get a burrito-- chopped up chicken tenders, sour cream, spicy salsa. Back at the dorm, realize I forgot the cheese, and so heat up a thing of that "Queso" salsa and pour some into the burrito.)

the first time I had that it was because I was out-of-it enough that I took someone else's order-- it would never have entered my sweet little head to order such a thing.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Drunk Food
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2008, 10:08:57 pm »

Is Ash making crude sex jokes about my girlfriend? I dont know if Im supposed to be really genuinely offended here or if he is just saying things.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Drunk Food
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2008, 11:15:31 pm »

Yeah it was a little much Ash, maybe you should Lay off.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Drunk Food
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2008, 12:32:11 am »

[I'm out, that was my best shot]
Pity, I was hoping we could have another running joke thread of Gina proportions.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Drunk Food
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2008, 02:39:58 am »

I wouldn't have started this if I had thought you would get all Ruffled.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Drunk Food
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2008, 12:36:16 pm »

Is Ash making crude sex jokes about my girlfriend? I dont know if Im supposed to be really genuinely offended here or if he is just saying things.

With Ash, I'd put my money on "A little bit of column A, a little bit of column B." 

I wouldn't have started this if I had thought you would get all Ruffled.

Cann'd like Pringles. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Drunk Food
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2008, 10:21:18 pm »

In other news: I figured out how to drink Canadian Mist!

In other news: this Canadian was wondering what the hell Canadian Mist was until informed by Whisky Magazine. 
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Mr Trout

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65528
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 493
    • View Profile
Re: Drunk Food
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2008, 03:53:40 am »

Ya know? I've drunk my fair share of whiskey, both good and bad. When it comes down to it though, I love either really good scotch, or really bad whiskey. There is a locally bottled variety here, Pikesville Supreme if you're curious, that I cannot seem to get enough of. It is cheap and "bad" yet it gets a reaction. Usually along the lines of "Oh god what did I just swallow?!" But maybe that is a good thing. In my opinion something that is terrible but elicits a reaction is infinitely better than something that is mediocre.


I'd continue this train of thought but I'm afraid the 'Supreme has made me unable.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Drunk Food
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2008, 04:30:30 am »

the difference, for me, is that when it's terrible, the reaction it brings is me puking.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Drunk Food
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2008, 09:12:37 am »

I am drunk and high right now and I went for Jimmie Johns vegetarian.  Really I get drunk at weird times so I eat whatever is available, but one of the things I really like is getting drunk with my neighbor and having her make some amazing vegetarian food.  Mainly cause it is free if I bring a bladder of wine, but also because she is amazing at cooking.

Also, everything bagels and cream cheese.  toasted.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up