Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

You might, rabbit

You might.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Spy Chic  (Read 5354 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Spy Chic
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2003, 03:10:09 am »

Perhaps I misphrased myself: what I meant to say was every episode available on disc together in one set for a reasonable price. Consider the Sopranos or 24 - why not Farscape? I think it oughta be standard practice, as opposed to "Here are four random episodes from a season. You want more? Oh, well, here for a separate transaction are four other random episodes from the same season." Yes, I like to watch episodes chronologically. What?

Oh, and thanks for the cite, jough.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Spy Chic
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2003, 04:38:23 am »

Quote from: "jough"
The first season of "Coupling" (BBC) is on a single disc - six episodes.


As are most of the other BBC DVDs (H2G2, Red Dwarf, OK, those are the only ones I own...)
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Spy Chic
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2003, 07:03:47 am »

Slink, that's because compared to U.S. tv series, English "series" runs are much shorter.

In England they'll make a show of 6-12 episodes, run them all, and then if it's popular they'll go back and make more.  It could take a year until the next "series" comes out.  

Coupling is brilliant.  I caught some of it on BBC America and have recently ordered the second season on DVD.  That still leaves the third season yet to be released, and I read that they're in pre-production for a fourth season.  Whoo-hoo.

For those who think yank sit-coms are obnoxious and unfunny, I highly recommend Coupling if you can find the discs to buy or rent.  Very clever, funny stuff.

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Spy Chic
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2003, 10:41:14 am »

Quote from: "jough"
Slink, that's because compared to U.S. tv series, English "series" runs are much shorter.


Yea, but I've seen so many series on DVD where there are about 3 episodes on each disc, and no other features on them either.
Which is shocking, and drives the price up hidesouly (somehow!).

,quote="Jough"]
For those who think yank sit-coms are obnoxious and unfunny, I highly recommend Coupling if you can find the discs to buy or rent.  Very clever, funny stuff.[/quote]

I never really got into that. Although, If those tend to be your complaints about US Sitcoms, one well worth checking out is Channel 4's Black Books. If you can find it over there, it is superb!
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00005V8VI/ref=sr_aps_dvd_1_1/026-6992290-3502866
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Spy Chic
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2003, 10:44:48 am »

Nah, no Region 2 PAL releases for me, mate.

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Spy Chic
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2003, 11:40:10 am »

Quote from: "jough"
Nah, no Region 2 PAL releases for me, mate.


Well it was more just the only link I could think of to show you what it was. It may get a US release at some point... Possibly!
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Spy Chic
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2003, 02:31:41 pm »

Ah, see Farscape is being done by ADV which is primarily an anime company. And the standard format for most anime releases is 4-4-3-3-3-3-3-3 which works nicely because 26 episodes is a standard run in Japan and this way they can hook you with the first two "big" discs.

For this style of release I generally wait for the inevitable box set.
Logged

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Spy Chic
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2003, 05:08:40 pm »

NOW THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT!

How did I miss this news? Um... also, $140 is a bit out of my price range... but then, Petemas is on its way. Maybe my missus might make me merry! Yeah. with the Farscape.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Spy Chic
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2003, 05:14:44 pm »

Actually they were both on sale for $90 last week. I think Amazon has a lower regular price.

I don't expect S3 until next year, though.
Logged
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up