Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Wombat is MAD WITH POWER.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Fields of Gold  (Read 4287 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Harlock Hero

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 15
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 29
    • View Profile
Fields of Gold
« on: July 02, 2008, 02:06:17 am »

Hey guys. I know I've hardly posted here since I first signed-up-after-lurking a year or so ago, but take heart: that's because I have a job that has me on my computer so many hours out of the day that the last thing I usually want to do for leisure is spend more hours sitting and typing. It should not be taken as a sign that you fellows are not running the single least miserable message board on the whole internet. I mean that as a compliment.

Anyway, all I have to say is that...

With all the wedding stuff happening lately, I decided to go back and re-read the arc where it all started. Dang, people, if you haven't gone back and revisited it lately, please do so. It reads so great all at once, and I'm not ashamed to admit I got all sniffly from it.

I was kinda feeling blagular because of my current assignment (being paid to write a 65 page wedding speech for a stranger; is there anything worse??), and reading this straight up made me kinda not want to die just yet. I thought it would be nice to try and share that experience if possible.

Here's a link to the first strip, if interested:

http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=05212007
« Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 10:06:43 am by Harlock Hero »
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Fields of Gold
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2008, 02:16:19 am »

(being paid to write a 65 page wedding speech for a stranger; is there anything worse??)

Having to listen to a 65 page speech at a wedding?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Fields of Gold
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2008, 02:24:15 am »

Also, you are right about that arc. Thanks.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Cap'n Squeakers

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 36
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 146
  • I MET THE GUY WHO INVENTED SALAMI
    • View Profile
Re: Fields of Gold
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2008, 07:04:19 pm »

a 65 page wedding speech for a stranger; is there anything worse??

If you're not exaggerating, then your client is INSANE.  65 pages, even written to the heavily-whitespaces specs of a script would be over an hour of blather.  If you're talking normal, double-spaced pages of text, it's probably more like 3 or 4 hours.  I wouldn't spend any effort on anything after the fifth page, nobody's gonna get that far.  Even the bride and groom will be at the bar getting triple vodka-soads at that point.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Fields of Gold
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2008, 07:40:10 pm »

such as how a good wife makes linen garments and sells them in the marketplace, makes sashes for the merchants to wear, considers a field for its wine producing capacity, plants grapes there and then gives the profits to her family, etc, etc.

Well dang, maybe that's my problem.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Fields of Gold
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2008, 07:59:18 pm »

Id be pretty jazzed if my wife's hobby was making us wine.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Fields of Gold
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2008, 09:52:04 pm »

65 pages, even written to the heavily-whitespaces specs of a script would be over an hour of blather.  If you're talking normal, double-spaced pages of text, it's probably more like 3 or 4 hours.
Perhaps his client is European royalty.  Paens to the olde familys of yore and whatnot.  Didn't I read somewhere that the Windsors' name is a convenient shorthand for their actual family name that hails from central Germany?  To Wikipedia!
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Cap'n Squeakers

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 36
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 146
  • I MET THE GUY WHO INVENTED SALAMI
    • View Profile
Re: Fields of Gold
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2008, 09:57:52 pm »

Didn't I read somewhere that the Windsors' name is a convenient shorthand for their actual family name that hails from central Germany? 

Friends, today we come to celebrate the union between Sarah Marie O'Connor and Johann Gambolputty de von Ausfernschplendenschlittercrasscrenbonf rieddiggerdingledangledongledungleburst einvonknackerthrasherapplebangerhorowit zticolensicgranderknottyspelltinklegran dlichgrumblemeyerspelterwasserkurstlich himbleeisenbahnwagengutenabendbitteeinn ürnburgerbratwustlegerspurtenmitzweimacheluberhundsfutgumberabershönedankerkalbsfleischmittleraucher von Hautkopft of Ulm.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Fields of Gold
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2008, 10:04:59 pm »

Id be pretty jazzed if my wife's hobby was making us wine.

She doesn't make the wine, just considers the field where the grapes are grown.  Like "that's a good field, plant that shit right there.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Fields of Gold
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2008, 10:05:45 pm »

Yes!

Here's a pithy quote from Wikipedia attibuted to the Kaiser:

" Upon hearing that his cousin George V had changed the name of the British royal house to Windsor, German Emperor William II remarked jokingly that he planned to see Shakespeare's play The Merry Wives of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha".

Even better is the surname that would have been Prince Charles' had Elizabeth II not decreed otherwise, of the House of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg.  With the fading of WWII bitterness, I wonder if future generations of Royalty will revert to the traditional names.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Fields of Gold
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2008, 04:17:09 am »

65 pages?  By any chance is Castro the best man at this event?

If anyone tries that at the SO and I's wedding, I will be hitting that person with a shovel.  Castro or not.

I mean, sure we're forcing people to say nice things about us, but not more than a few minutes worth.  I can't imagine anything beyond page 6 being much other than flattering descriptions of our body parts, which is wholly unnecessary. 
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Fields of Gold
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2008, 05:21:12 am »

youve been with the same girl since you were 15? Dude, no. Try out some new pu$$ys. see whats up.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Fields of Gold
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2008, 02:31:40 pm »

Planning a wedding is sort of like hell.  I am not a girly girl, I was never a girl who dreamed of getting married or made any plans related to doing so before now, and I do not care about most of the details. I love the guy, we have been together over 6 1/2 yrs, and I do sincerely want to be married to him, but without it being a thing.  Unfortunately for other people, they want it to be a thing, and this has created conflict where there need not be any.  I am glad we set the date for so soon after getting engaged, because I'm pretty sure I would go insane if I spent a year planning it out, micro managing details and wasting so much time. 
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Fields of Gold
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2008, 03:40:48 pm »

Planning a wedding is sort of like hell.  I am not a girly girl, I was never a girl who dreamed of getting married or made any plans related to doing so before now, and I do not care about most of the details. I love the guy, we have been together over 6 1/2 yrs, and I do sincerely want to be married to him, but without it being a thing.  Unfortunately for other people, they want it to be a thing, and this has created conflict where there need not be any.

QFgoddamnT
Logged

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: Fields of Gold
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2008, 06:02:05 pm »

Mrs. Haus had about four months to plan our wedding, and didn't have the benefit of my help for very much of it, because I was living in Charlotte for five days each week and coming home for two. She would have gone insane if she was planning the Traditional Wedding lots of people think they need to have.

Personally, I feel like the chances of a marriage succeeding fall as the amount of money spent on it's wedding ceremony rise. I've known people who have blown $40,000 on a wedding and got divorced within the year. We spent about $4000 on ours, and I'm pretty confident she's not going anywhere.
Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up