Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Would Star Trek have had the same gravitas if Spock had been named Vince?

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: GOP Festival 2008!  (Read 18807 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: GOP Festival 2008!
« Reply #75 on: September 05, 2008, 05:07:40 pm »

I didn't want to be the one to say it. 





________________
I'm jay-ell, and I approved this message. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: GOP Festival 2008!
« Reply #76 on: September 05, 2008, 06:01:04 pm »

My take on it, based on the letter itself, is that it represents a long-standing policy in place for many years which therefore predates Mrs. Palin's administration.  While she doesn't mention when the program began, the letter does refer to the history of the program which would indicate that it had begun more than 18 months ago.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: GOP Festival 2008!
« Reply #77 on: September 05, 2008, 06:09:59 pm »

So why do the Republicans hate community organizers so much?  Fuck anyone trying to make a difference where they live.  Losers.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: GOP Festival 2008!
« Reply #78 on: September 05, 2008, 06:29:27 pm »

I for one would like to see the Democrats jump on the "community organizer" thing like McCain's folks throw a fit any time someone says his POW status doesn't in and of itself qualify him to be President.  (See "Clark, Wesley," who they managed to get booted from Obama's campaign despite the fact that he said something that's 100% true.)

They won't, though, because they suck at that kind of thing.  To their peril.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: GOP Festival 2008!
« Reply #79 on: September 05, 2008, 06:42:03 pm »

In what ways does that invalidate the current application? Are you saying it's just by rote copy cat-ism? It was generated in reaction to current legislation. I would think being able to react to current issues within the framework of established policies in an effectual and clear manner is indicative.

I'm not.  I'm just saying this is probably not a program she instituted.  Since you were offering it as a reason for supporting her, I was simply suggesting that this sort of thing was around long before she was.  But hey, if this is what validates your political beliefs, knock yourself out.  I'm probably just more cynical about state governments than you are -- my guess would be that if she'd thought about this particular issue for more than 15 minutes before she signed this letter I'd be impressed.  And I don't mean that as a knock on her -- more as a comment on the relationship between bureaucrats and politicians in regards to obscure technical issues.

I guess all I'm saying is that this letter indicates more to me about the Alaska Department of giraffe and Wildlife than it does about Sarah Palin, for good or bad.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Re: GOP Festival 2008!
« Reply #80 on: September 05, 2008, 07:05:17 pm »

I'd recommend Meet the Feebles.

I wouldn't. It's neither a particularly good movie nor a particularly accurate parody - it coasts entirely on "how gross a thing can we have knockoff Muppets do".

Contrast Avenue Q, which quite accurately parodies the style, format and tone of Sesame Street and Electric Company (among a few others) while inserting offensive (to some) content.
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up