Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood "Awww yeah who is CATHOLIC up in this piece?!?!" -- you never hear that any more.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Apples (not the computer)  (Read 6369 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Apples (not the computer)
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2008, 03:46:45 pm »

Quote from: carlosdelvaca
I may also roast the seeds from those, but that always seems to be better in theory than in practice.

Oh God, QFT.

Nothing seems more obvious and good than "hey, we've already slaughtered the pumpkin, why not make seeds?" and... nothing ends more disappointingly.

It is on a par with when two friends who are not really attracted to each other try to have sex, out of desperation and/or convenience, and it ends like home-roasted pumpkin seeds.

I mean, sure, there's pumpkin seeds to eat but pumpkin seeds aren't very good, there's all the mess and it would've been easier to just pay for them if you really needed pumpkin seeds.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Apples (not the computer)
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2008, 04:23:24 pm »

The hell? I have never purchased pumpkin seeds that were anywhere near as good as ones fresh out of the oven. All toasty hot, all covered in more salt than is probably healthy, all full of delicious goodness.

Of course then what do you do with the rest of the pumpkin? I live in an apartment, so carving is out. And pie is just gross. But the store-bought are so bad I'd rather have no seeds at all.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Apples (not the computer)
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2008, 09:47:46 pm »

Y'all are fucked up.  Pumpkin pie is good.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Apples (not the computer)
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2008, 11:04:24 pm »

pumpkin pie is good.

pumpkin pie is HELLA GOOD.


I still think a lot about how the last time I smooched on a girl, it was shortly after she had eaten a bunch of pumpkin bread I made.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Apples (not the computer)
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2008, 11:39:50 pm »

Pumpkin pie is fantastic. But it is really not worth starting with a real pumpkin. It is one of the few things in life where the canned product instead of the fresh is what you really want.

Cort: I don't know why you can't carve a pumpkin in an apartment - it doesn't really take up that much room - but you can come take a bunch of seeds off my hands in few weeks if you like.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Apples (not the computer)
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2008, 12:28:59 am »

Pumpkin pie is fantastic. But it is really not worth starting with a real pumpkin. It is one of the few things in life where the canned product instead of the fresh is what you really want.

Cort: I don't know why you can't carve a pumpkin in an apartment - it doesn't really take up that much room - but you can come take a bunch of seeds off my hands in few weeks if you like.

I meant that carving in an apartment is sort of pointless. My balcony can't be seen from the street and I'm at the end of the hall, so only the people who live directly across from me would ever see it. And I haven't seen a trick-or-treater since I left home. I think there may be 1 age-appropriate child in the whole building.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Apples (not the computer)
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2008, 01:23:32 am »

But you get to see it! If you put bouquet of flowers or a nice centerpiece on your table, would you care that your neighbors don't see it?

Anyway, you need it to keep the evil spirits away.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Apples (not the computer)
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2008, 01:34:42 am »

But you get to see it! If you put bouquet of flowers or a nice centerpiece on your table, would you care that your neighbors don't see it?

Anyway, you need it to keep the evil spirits away.

It bugs the SO that our entire dining room area is invisible to me. I never notice when she puts flowers or anything on the table. Last week the runner blew off the table because we'd left the windows open on a windy day and I didn't notice. Three days in a row.

There might be a jack-o-lantern on the table right now for all I know.
Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Apples (not the computer)
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2008, 01:39:01 am »

Also, could we get a pick of your apples?  I kind of want to see what 35 pounds of apples looks like.

I'd say we're down to about 25 pounds, but:



Also, pie.

Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Apples (not the computer)
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2008, 05:15:18 am »

Mmmmmm, pie.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Apples (not the computer)
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2008, 05:38:21 am »

That's some good lookin' pie.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Apples (not the computer)
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2008, 07:37:25 am »

Pumpkin pie is fantastic. But it is really not worth starting with a real pumpkin. It is one of the few things in life where the canned product instead of the fresh is what you really want.

Ah, pumpkin pie.  Wombats post is perfect.  I guess I kind of thought that was pumpkin flavored *i don't really know, goo?* Not, like, you know, a real pumpkin.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Apples (not the computer)
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2008, 11:18:00 am »

Canned pumpkin is really pumpkin, cooked a whole lot.

I don't mean canned pumpkin pie filling, which is canned pumpkin with the other ingredients already added. Come on, people, it is not that hard to add some eggs and milk and sugar and spices to a can of pumpkin, I mean, be thankful you didn't start with a real pumpkin and cut it up and peel it and cook it down till it was mush and then realize it isn't as tasty as the canned kind after all that.

The great thing about pumpkin pie is that even a lousy one is pretty good. Whereas a lousy apple pie is just heartbreaking.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Apples (not the computer)
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2008, 12:53:41 pm »

While the apple market is apparently crashing from oversupply, the pumpkin market is experiencing a shortage: http://mjperry.blogspot.com/2008/10/pumpkin-shortages-and-scary-price.html. Buy pumpkins now, hide them in the garage and sell later! INVEST IN PUMPKIN, Pumpkin!
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Apples (not the computer)
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2008, 01:35:17 pm »

Remember:  the value of you pumpkins will never go down!  And just to make everything secure, I will sell you insurance to cover you in the utterly unlikely event that they do.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up