Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood The bus is crossing Klickitat St., home of Ramona Quimby. It's pretty swank these days. No sign of Nosmo King.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Happy New Year  (Read 5622 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: Happy New Year
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2009, 02:58:30 pm »

Happy New Year* touambers. This year this might actually mean something to me, as it looks like I'll FINALLY move from a dead-end job, working with something I HATE (computers) to a decent job that pays decently, with chances to make progress in ADULT LIFE, in an area that I love (languages).

* - "Happy New Year(tm)" might not be available depending on location.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 12:36:14 pm by dejavroom »
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Happy New Year
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2009, 11:47:34 pm »

You go DJ, dream the impossible something!
Languages are awesome, ADULT LIFE is also awesome but apparently rather elusive (if I'm to trust half the adults I know).
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Happy New Year
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2009, 12:41:01 am »

What is the job exactly?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: Happy New Year
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2009, 01:42:52 pm »

Basically I'll be in a huge room with other translator drones, each in his individual cubicle, translating the living shit out of the boringest technical documents & manuals imaginable (but hey, at least I'm not being called to fix paper jams anymore, so yay me). Of course it's not my dream job of translating literary material (which was the scaled-down version of my dream of writing for a living, which in itself was the scaled-down version of... anyway. It's a palpable possibility of a career, which I thought was lost after I kinda... never... finished college...
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Happy New Year
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2009, 04:10:07 pm »

Hey, where would the world be without people who fix paper jams? But, good for you. If you can speak more than one language fluently, fuck college, you know?

As for the other thing, I always thought that literary translation was something that was done more on a freelance basis or as side projects to a day job - much like actual literary writing - anyway. So what's to stop you?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Ruta Bagas

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 108
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 426
  • Is that a shiny ring?
    • View Profile
    • The World Is Lovely
Re: Happy New Year
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2009, 04:23:58 pm »

I read "fix paper jeans". That would have been a worse job.

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Happy New Year
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2009, 08:52:24 pm »

How's the coccyx, Ash?
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Happy New Year
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2009, 09:14:53 pm »

Happy 2009 pereople.

For '09 I broke my damn ass-bone. Apparently I've gotten the worst out of the way already.

My mom broke her's off entirely and had to have it removed when she was in high school.
Logged

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Happy New Year
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2009, 11:36:01 pm »

My mom broke her's off entirely and had to have it removed when she was in high school.
That probably made for some painful peer-relation experiences.

being the butt of lame jokes

sorry
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: Happy New Year
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2009, 12:52:25 am »

My mom broke her's off entirely and had to have it removed when she was in high school.

So afterwards, was she flexible enough to suck her own oh wait wrong direction oh wait wrong gender.
Logged

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: Happy New Year
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2009, 12:35:48 pm »

(...)fuck college, you know?
I am inclined to agree.
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

iron_felix

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 373
    • View Profile
Re: Happy New Year
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2009, 03:14:49 am »

The morning after my New Year's celebration I discovered that I was almost completely out of gas, and I had to stop at a Circle K on my way home.  On a whim, I decided to go inside looking for Circus Peanuts, and somehow managed to come back out with a butterfly knife instead.  So now my New Year's resolution is to learn to do tricks with it, and not a) forget I even own it, or b) chop all my fingers off.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Happy New Year
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2009, 03:21:55 am »

On a whim, I decided to go inside looking for Circus Peanuts,

Are you in his Army?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

iron_felix

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 373
    • View Profile
Re: Happy New Year
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2009, 03:37:34 am »

Well, I suppose they did issue me a weapon, but the cool hats have not been forthcoming.  Maybe I dithered around too much.
Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Happy New Year
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2009, 04:39:12 pm »

I would like to request that we establish a filter that turns "Circus Peanuts" to "Circus c*ck."

Thank you.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up