Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I got mad about Robert Fripp's "music" again. I need to go to bed.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Ban the Bottle  (Read 4538 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Ban the Bottle
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2009, 11:14:36 pm »

the general reaction among my friends is "wait, people still buy bottled water?"
But... some of these are also people who get uncomfortable when we use a car to get someplace that's 5 miles away. "Wait, don't you have bikes, though?"

I haven't heard anything from the campus at large. I recently started carrying around a re-usable water bottle, because I have realized that I feel a lot better if I drink water throughout the day.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Ban the Bottle
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2009, 02:08:01 am »

I take an empty bottle to work to fill up at the numerous bubblers around the place but when I eventually lose it I will buy a new bottle.  Seems weird to be banning it without banning bottled softdrinks and so on, I guess the idea is to encourage people to refill their water bottles but you can't refill soft drink.
I'm more or less with the guys who say it seems a silly idea to just ban things, make people aware of the pros and cons, provide water fountains and other alternatives.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Ban the Bottle
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2009, 02:53:45 am »

You know, while we're at it, why can't I get ginger ale for free from a tap in any public place?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Ban the Bottle
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2009, 02:55:22 am »

A valid question, though I imagine the desire to minimize civic stickyness plays into it to some extent.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Ban the Bottle
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2009, 03:47:00 am »

it seems weird to use the word Ban. It's not like students bringing bottled water onto campus are arrested. They just don't sell it in the cafeterias or vending machines anymore.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Ban the Bottle
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2009, 03:51:20 am »

True, it's just a business choosing not to carry a particular product.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Ban the Bottle
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2009, 05:18:48 am »

It certainly is weird how this is one of those things where an extremist radio host would frame this as extremists banning something and infringing on the rights of big business when at the heart of it, it is a private (or quasi-private, I realize that things like that are hazy with colleges) institution making an internal decision about which services it chooses to provide to its customer base... which, in other more Clear Channel friendly enterprises, the reactionary-bots would be programmed to slobberingly laud for three hours, between the commercials for gold investing and blue emu lotion and boner pills.

It's always funny how these things work.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Ban the Bottle
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2009, 09:03:48 am »

Quote
Why are we framing anything serious within the context of blowholes whose job is to garner ratings and from that ad revenue by being a king shit stirrer?

If your sources of comparison suck, you do by proxy.

BTW: be happy, you lost the Ace Man off the FM dial today, chunkles.

None of your words make sense.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Ban the Bottle
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2009, 09:17:48 am »

 Oh good, I thought I was the only one.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Ban the Bottle
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2009, 10:03:30 am »

Dudes, I'm the one he's TALKING to and I'M a bit befuddled.

I'm pretty sure that the station he's talking about is how LA's irritating "radio lad mag" FreeFM FM talk station built around a 'round-the-clock format of, like, eight three-hour-blocks of Howard Stern ripoffs but... that's about all I got. I'm lost beyond that m'self.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Ban the Bottle
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2009, 10:47:54 pm »

In the sober light of day I actually mostly get what was being said. But last night... there were too many phrases that weren't syncing up.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Ban the Bottle
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2009, 11:07:59 pm »

Cabbage crates over the briney?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Ban the Bottle
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2009, 12:47:40 am »

'Twill be fair till they top it, no trouble there.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Ban the Bottle
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2009, 03:00:05 am »

One o' the crossbeams gone out askew on the treadle!
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Ban the Bottle
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2009, 01:15:34 am »

When I was in college the campus-run food court gave a discount on fountain sodas and coffee if you brought your own mug. They even sold one with a carabiner handle. But I think that was more to save them money than for any environmental reasons.
Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up