Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
That the second best way to sound like a noob is to ask why robot and pants are censored?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: I thought we used to have an ongoing thread about music but I can't find it  (Read 12323 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile

Last night I saw Girl Shy a silent movie made in 1924.  It was one of the best fuck*ng moves I have ever seen.  I don't even know if it was groundbreaking (probably, I mean how could it not right?), but I do know that it was awesome in every respect.  Harold Lloyd is a comic genius.  10 Wayans Brothers would just about have as much talent as Harold Lloyd's pinkie toe.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that Dilbert sucks.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile

Last night I saw Girl Shy a silent movie made in 1924.  It was one of the best fuck*ng moves I have ever seen.  I don't even know if it was groundbreaking (probably, I mean how could it not right?), but I do know that it was awesome in every respect.  Harold Lloyd is a comic genius.  10 Wayans Brothers would just about have as much talent as Harold Lloyd's pinkie toe.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that Dilbert sucks.

You should check this out.  Guy is like a comic genius + Jackie Chan.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile

everybody knows about buster keaton and charlie chaplin, but harold lloyd is largely forgotten. he blew off part of his thumb with a prop bomb with a fast fuse, and made himself a glove with a thumb in it so he could continue to be on screen. his characters and stories are unique among the silent film greats - very american dream, very work brings wealth makes happy, the villain is the threat of poverty or socialism, for the day very conservative-politics-feeling. and his stunts, man, his stunts. if buster keaton is the jackie chan of silent films, harold lloyd is harrison ford. yes, harrison ford still usually does all his own stunts. but harold lloyd also wrote, directed, and produced his own shit. suck that egg, harrison.

there's a great documentary on harold lloyd called "the third genius" that's worth tracking down for a few bucks. i saw it before dvds existed, back when vhs was king. very very fun stuff.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Harold Lloyd a Comic Genius
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2009, 06:44:23 am »

I've seen the General, it's a wonderful film.  Girl Shy was my first Harold Lloyd film and I was blown away by it.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile

Of the three my tastes still run to Buster.  Then Lloyd, then Chaplin.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile

Also -- a little bit later, but what about that dang ol' W.C. Fields?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun

My fav silent film is King Vidor's "The Crowd."  it is very anti American dream. And it made me tear up a little
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile

We talked about music for about 3 post then said fuck it and switched to silent films.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun

I went through a month or so where I was back to my old music frenzy, lately it is chilled out. I just want to listen to Sugarcube over and over. I have such a weakness for like... generic "indie rock" songs.

Also listening to a lot of MSTRKRFT/Daft Punk/Justice type stuff. Because, as you guys know, all I do is party.
I am not a huge fan of the rapping, but those beats man.
Fav discovery so far: this song.
I love crunchy synth lines.


I guess it has more power when played very loud, though. In a small apartment, where I am dancing very hard.

Also lately: Bob Dylan.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2009, 06:53:29 am by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile

We talked about music for about 3 post then said fuck it and switched to silent films.

There ought to be some kind of award for a thread that starts about Green Day on the first page and Harold Lloyd on the second. "Wandering" doesn't begin to cover it.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm

Also lately: Bob Dylan.

New Morning was just remastered and re-released. I'm not the best judge of whether remastering is ever necessary, but if you don't already own it, it's a good chance to pick up one of his more overlooked works. It's not his best but has some great moments. Bob Dylan and the Band's Basement Tapes was also just remastered. That's a great record. It is missing a lot of really good material from those sessions, and I recently downloaded Tree With Roots, which has a lot more, and is very worthwhile. I have spent more time with Dylan than almost anyone else, except for, recently, Tom Waits.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile

New Morning is fuck*ng awful.  Besides the Big Lebowski song it sucks.  I spent five years of my life listening to bob dylan nearly exclusively, and, yeah, its subjective, but stick to his first (bob dylan) through Nashville Skyline (really blonde on blonde but those last two are like later Dylan mixed with funny dylan.  he is no longer a poet(for the most part), but he knows it, and therefore doesn't blow it.  not like later in his career.)  There is no need for any other Dylan, especially Desire.  Oh get , Tarantula too, but that was during this period, just a book instead of album.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2009, 02:28:21 pm by KeithHernandez »
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm

Interesting. The only song I hate on the album is the first track, If Not For You. Desire isn't terrible either, though I hate Hurricane. It's at least worth it for Isis (though there are probably better recordings of the song). I prefer mid-60s Dylan over any of his other work by a long shot but he has at least one good album in every decade. I really don't like his first album and the rest of his pre-electric folk albums are hit or miss.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Victoria Waterfield

  • Molly
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 336
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 739
  • FUCK YOU, MIKE!
    • View Profile

I like all his albums. Self-Portrait is excellent. I quite like Empire Burlesque. There are things I enjoy about Under the Red Sky. I like quite a few things about Saved. I bought the recent "Dylan and the Dead" remaster and judged it "not bad".
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile

There is no need for any other Dylan,

Wait, this can't be right. I remember Blood on the Tracks as being a fantastic album - and that's when I feel about Dylan basically what this character in this Daniel Pinkwater book I am reading just said - "I can't describe it other than to say that I'd rather be shot through the head than listen to it again." So, that one must really be awfully good, you know?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up