Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I had to look up how pi is derived. It has been sixteen years since the SAT, yet still, I feel very ashamed

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Rediscovered Favorites  (Read 8232 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Rediscovered Favorites
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2003, 08:55:25 pm »

First album purchased for me: New Kids on the Block, on cassete.  I re-gifted it almost immediately.  

First album I purchased for myself: Phantom of the Opera,  on CD.  1994.  It was my first CD, which I bought for my birthday, having received my first CD player for Christmas a few months before.  It was followed closely by Les Miserables and other such albums, and then I started buying cool stuff, like Appetite for Destruction.  But for a while my CD collection read like a middle-aged gay man's -- nothing but soundtracks from musicals and Disney movies.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Rediscovered Favorites
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2003, 09:29:45 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
The first album I ever bought for myself was Miles Davis "Kind of Blue."  


Showoff.

I shan't say the first album I bought, since it would be far too revealing of my age.
Logged
goose means greedy

V-Adore

  • Guest
Rediscovered Favorites
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2003, 09:54:23 pm »

The sad thing is that I bought Dookie and a few other things (Primitive Radio Gods, anybody?) and then immediately forgot you could buy music for about two years. CDs bought coming out of the slump: Fastball's "All The Pain Money Can Buy" (not so good, although "The Way" is an incredible single), TMBG's "Severe Tire Damage," and Semisonic's "Feeling Strangely Fine" (both absolutely orgasmic).
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Rediscovered Favorites
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2003, 12:56:08 am »

If I can't remember the first Achewood strip I read, I sure can't remember as far back as the first record I bought myself.  It was probably something by Simon and Garfunkel.   And the first one bought for me was undoubtedly something horrific like the Partridge Family.  It is a tragic thing to be a child of the 70s.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Mite

  • Motel 6 Kind of Girl
  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 584
    • View Profile
Rediscovered Favorites
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2003, 05:47:43 am »

Yeah, we 80s kids didn't fare too much better. I think my first tape purchase was the Cocktail soundtrack.
Logged
I'm no longer a Bankhead teacher, but I'll still take your cookies.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Rediscovered Favorites
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2003, 06:06:43 am »

OK Smells, You win.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Rediscovered Favorites
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2003, 07:07:16 am »

Quote from: "AugustWest"
OK Smells, You win.

I think you're confusing Mite and side_show again, August.
Logged

Mite

  • Motel 6 Kind of Girl
  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 584
    • View Profile
Rediscovered Favorites
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2003, 07:13:42 am »

That's ok - one of my students got frustrated with my quick wit and ability to parry her every feeble insult and told me I smelled bad today.

God bless 8th graders.
Logged
I'm no longer a Bankhead teacher, but I'll still take your cookies.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Rediscovered Favorites
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2003, 07:20:08 am »

... Mite is Smells? My paradigm, it shifts without a clutch!
Logged

Mite

  • Motel 6 Kind of Girl
  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 584
    • View Profile
Rediscovered Favorites
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2003, 07:26:04 am »

C'Arica (my student) sure thinks so. But nobody else has ever mentioned it. Maybe they're too polite?
Logged
I'm no longer a Bankhead teacher, but I'll still take your cookies.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Rediscovered Favorites
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2003, 01:26:44 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
The first album I ever bought for myself was Miles Davis "Kind of Blue."



Get OUT.  Were you an overly serious kid?

Shouldn't your first album purchase be something goofy?  First album I ever bought was ELO's Greatest Hits.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Rediscovered Favorites
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2003, 02:25:10 pm »

Quote from: "carlosdelvaca"
Quote from: "jough"
The first album I ever bought for myself was Miles Davis "Kind of Blue."



Get OUT.  Were you an overly serious kid?



Does this question really need asking?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Rediscovered Favorites
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2003, 02:26:28 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
Quote from: "AugustWest"
OK Smells, You win.

I think you're confusing Mite and Smells again, August.


Whoopsy.  Sorry.  But, Again?  I've done this before?   Stupid short-term memory loss.  

I fully expect my title to mysteriously become "President of the NRA" anytime now.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Rediscovered Favorites
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2003, 05:00:43 pm »

When I was a child, my favourite band was the Philadelphia Orchestra under Ormandy's direction.

Mozart was my favourite songwriter.

You have NO idea how happy I was when the film "Amadeus" came out.  Then I was disappointed that they protrayed him as a retard.

But still, all of my little snotty friends who were more into Shostakovich and Mahler (all, the impetuousness of youth!) had to admit that W. A. Mozart just fuck*ng rocked their motherfuck*ng socks off.

Anyway, as I got a little older I was mostly into jazz and punk rock.

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Rediscovered Favorites
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2003, 07:03:05 pm »

Quote from: "jough"

But still, all of my little snotty friends who were more into Shostakovich and Mahler (all, the impetuousness of youth!) had to admit that W. A. Mozart just fuck*ng rocked their motherfuck*ng socks off.


You'd have to be one fuck*ng impetuous kid to prefer Mahler to Mozart!
Although personally I always prefered Bach to most anything else.
Yeah, I was one of those kids, although I also listened to everything else.
My first buy was either something like an early Tom Waits, or maybe Skinny Puppy.
But my memory sucks beyond all belief.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up