Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

THIS SPACE FOR RENT
The tip jar is broken, but Wombat will entertain bribe offers, assuming she can find this edit screen again.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Karaoke!  (Read 6569 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Karaoke!
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2003, 02:28:48 am »

Er, to sort of get the thread back on topic...

The only thing worse than improv troupes at karaoke is high-school debaters or public speakers at karaoke. Trust me on this.
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Karaoke!
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2003, 02:31:50 am »

Hey!  Stop!  

Limmo, Jough isn't singling you out.  He's an asshole to everyone.  Just ask Ferocious J.  

Jough, stop jerking Limmo's chain.  While I'm sure you sincerely disagree with him, I'm also certain that you're pursuing this argument out of a combination of competitiveness and sheer perversity.  Quit it.  

And, for the record, as someone who's married to a guy who's done improv and also happens to be the funniest guy in any room about 75% of the time, I can tell you that nobody, no matter how funny, has had his best moment ever on an improv stage.  That said, the beauty of improv isn't the quality of the jokes, it's seeing what comes out of peoples mouths when you throw them in front of a crowd and demand humour.  Basically, the audience is screaming, "Dance for me, Monkey Boy," and that's never going to get Swan Lake.  But it might get the Moonwalk.

So you're both wrong.  Yeah, I said it.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Karaoke!
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2003, 02:48:44 am »

Limmo, he's singling you out.

Jough has never said a cross word to me the whole time I've been here.  He's been nothing if not kind, understanding and downright flattering to me and everyone else.

I suggest pistols at dawn.

Or a swift kick in the nads.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Karaoke!
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2003, 05:05:18 am »

No, it’s not a bit.  But while we’re on the subject of things you “don’t get”:

They tend to be the least fun people on the planet, and not funny at all when not doing one of their little "skits."

When I read that, I thought Hmm, maybe he failed to infer from the first sentence of my post that I do improv and I’m friends with people who do as well, and that by saying that he’s kind of being an insulting prick.  

People who do improv almost always think that they're funnier than they are. Trust me. They're not. You're not.

I’m not?  Really?   Thank you for clearing that up, Arbiter of All That Is Funny!  What the hell was I thinking?

Do you “get” what’s insulting about your statement?  If you don’t, you’re being completely disingenuous.  It goes beyond being an aesthetic disagreement from that point on.   I don’t know if you were inappropriately fondled by a Groundling when you were young, but the level of scorn seems a bit, I don’t know, off the scale?  You’d think I was a mime.  Or Onstad.    

In any event, thank you JL and August for weighing in.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Karaoke!
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2003, 05:22:20 am »

I thought you said you were leaving?

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Karaoke!
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2003, 06:21:05 am »

Actually, in a perverse way, I'm starting to enjoy this.
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Karaoke!
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2003, 06:33:18 am »

Quote from: "jough"
...The rest of the time you just sit their uncomfortably, embarrassed for the performers and wishing you'd spent your $20 on something like porno.


The rest of this discussion's improbable emotional level notwithstanding (Limmo, I have a lot of respect for anyone who can get up on stage w/o a script and hit good spots 80% of the time, and I've done plenty of stage work) I think Jough may have inadvertently hit on something else here:

Let's start an Improv Porno group! Audience shouts out ideas and we do it! Really attractive members of the audience welcome to do guest spots!
Logged

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Karaoke!
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2003, 08:20:01 am »

Quote from: "AlohaDawg"

Let's start an Improv Porno group! Audience shouts out ideas and we do it! Really attractive members of the audience welcome to do guest spots!


We'd need to make sure only really attractive members of the improv porno group got to do any spots.
I know I wouldn't want to see me in porno, though maybe that's some new level of self-respect I've developed over night.

This is probably the second most fun thread on the forum at the moment!
But then I've just quit smoking so I like the bitchiness!
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

V-Adore

  • Guest
Karaoke!
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2003, 01:34:39 pm »

Include me out of the improv porno. I suspect I wouldn't be any good at it anyway.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Karaoke!
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2003, 02:03:56 pm »

From the audience we need a profession, a food item, and an orifice!
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Karaoke!
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2003, 02:18:41 pm »

In my life, all sex is basically improv porno.  Except with a much smaller audience.   :boobies:
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Karaoke!
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2003, 02:21:33 pm »

protologist, bannana, ear
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Karaoke!
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2003, 03:28:15 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
I've seen shows all over the country, even two out of the country, and I know people who do improv.  They're lame.


If improv is so lame why do you keep attending the shows?  I mean, I actually agree with you, it is lame, but I didn't have to tour the country watching improv shows to figure it out.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Karaoke!
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2003, 04:49:36 pm »

I've seen some great improv, but I've also seen horrible, horrible improv.  Being a loudmouth doesn't mean your funny.

But why are we talking about improv?

The best kareoke I've ever seen is a bunch of my drunk friends doing "Benny and the Jets"
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Karaoke!
« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2003, 05:14:55 pm »

Quote from: "Limmo"
Actually, in a perverse way, I'm starting to enjoy this.


Does this mean there's not going to be any nad kicking?  

Damn!
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up