In my defense, I have never outwardly flipped-out on someone spewing "m'lord" at me.
I just say it in my mind. I am politely dismissive and I move on.
I guess that one of my deepest frustrations with the damned human race is that... like... for all the reasons there are to rebel from and reject the arbitrary rigidities of the mainstream culture, it seems that what comes next is the equal and opposite reaction of a formed subculture, just as rigid and probably twice as arbitrary.
Disenchanted high school kids form a damn "goth" subgroup as catty and conformist as the cool kids, except even more labyrithine from the isolation. A lady realizes she likes ladies instead of men and she goes to a bar... wherein she is instantly forced to decide whether she is to play the role of a stereotype of a man or the stereotype of a lady. Four nerds go into the basement to rebel against the school and the mountain of stupid meaningless rules therein... by playing D&D, the most ridiculous set of rules upon rules under God's blue sky.
Recoiling from the random crushing order of the pretend-game that we call "society" into... a microform with entirely different trappings but all the same damn rules of order that crushed you in the first place except, just maybe, you have a higher position within the micro-hierarchy as opposed to the macro-hierarchy.
Whole thing just bugs me. Instead of escaping the pretend to being adrift on a frightening sea of real... nope... just another smaller pretend where you like the wall-hangings and carpeting better.
Whereas, no, I'd just kind of like to watch the joust and maybe have a turkey leg without having an alternate posit of reality foisted upon me, thank you. As Ben Folds once said "I paid my money/and I'm gonna see all the movie".
I'll accept the possibility that I'm the one in the wrong by feeling these ways but...
I can't fight this instinct that I'm onto something.