Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I haven't had a haircut since July. I'm hoping to, "wait it out."

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: July 29, 2009 -- Death Just Grabbed Its Car Keys Off the Table  (Read 6964 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: July 29, 2009 -- Death Just Grabbed Its Car Keys Off the Table
« Reply #45 on: August 03, 2009, 12:03:43 am »

One of my favourite gags in a tv show is when a character's phone will play the shows theme song, Boston Legal did this a bunch and I never got sick of it. To this end I need to work out what my theme song is so I can provide my viewers with the same enjoyment.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: July 29, 2009 -- Death Just Grabbed Its Car Keys Off the Table
« Reply #46 on: August 03, 2009, 12:35:16 am »

I have been trying to do a gag where my phone plays the Keyboard Cat song, but so far it isn't working out.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

nDed

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 34
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 292
    • View Profile
Re: July 29, 2009 -- Death Just Grabbed Its Car Keys Off the Table
« Reply #47 on: August 03, 2009, 01:53:48 am »

I looked that up and apparently keyboard cat is dead.  :'(

E: How is the song not working?
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 02:10:44 am by nDed »
Logged
Love never blows up and gets killed.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: July 29, 2009 -- Death Just Grabbed Its Car Keys Off the Table
« Reply #48 on: August 03, 2009, 01:40:23 pm »

My ring tones:
  • For my wife:  the electric piano lull, then the big splash from American Analog Set's "Come Home Baby Julie Come Home."  My wife is not named Julie, it just seemed like a good ring tone.
  • For work-related callers:  the "Powerhouse" theme from old Warner Brothers cartoons.
  • For non-work/friend type people:  the opening of the Hold Steady's "Stuck Between Stations."
  • For unknown callers:  Mantronix, "Who Is It."  (see what I did there?  I'm so fuck*ng clever I can't stand it!)
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: July 29, 2009 -- Death Just Grabbed Its Car Keys Off the Table
« Reply #49 on: August 03, 2009, 02:31:24 pm »

My ring tones:
  • For my wife:  the electric piano lull, then the big splash from American Analog Set's "Come Home Baby Julie Come Home."  My wife is not named Julie, it just seemed like a good ring tone.
  • For work-related callers:  the "Powerhouse" theme from old Warner Brothers cartoons.
  • For non-work/friend type people:  the opening of the Hold Steady's "Stuck Between Stations."
  • For unknown callers:  Mantronix, "Who Is It."  (see what I did there?  I'm so fuck*ng clever I can't stand it!)

I have one Hold Steady song (Chips Ahoy) and I like it, but it sort of bugs me because the singer sounds exactly like the dude from Sugar High in Empire Records. So every time that song comes on I have a big high school flashback when we all loved that movie.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: July 29, 2009 -- Death Just Grabbed Its Car Keys Off the Table
« Reply #50 on: August 03, 2009, 02:35:57 pm »

I used to have a recording of my dog barking as my ringtone. But then Verizon disabled the ability to do that kind of thing and I can't convince the Technical Staff that that is a valid reason to change providers.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: July 29, 2009 -- Death Just Grabbed Its Car Keys Off the Table
« Reply #51 on: August 03, 2009, 05:20:09 pm »

I really dislike the Hold Steady.

nDed: it's not working in the way where, Apple won't let me use just any old file as a ringtone.
I heard that if you just change the file extension it will let you do it, but my computer seems to be too smart for that. I end up with a file like, cat.m4r.m4a, not cat.m4r like I want.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: July 29, 2009 -- Death Just Grabbed Its Car Keys Off the Table
« Reply #52 on: August 03, 2009, 05:31:36 pm »

I really dislike the Hold Steady.

nDed: it's not working in the way where, Apple won't let me use just any old file as a ringtone.
I heard that if you just change the file extension it will let you do it, but my computer seems to be too smart for that. I end up with a file like, cat.m4r.m4a, not cat.m4r like I want.
Are you using a Mac or PC? If using a PC, then you generally have to go to the file properties to change the extension (at least this is the way it is in XP). Unless you have your folder set to display extensions--then you might be able to edit it without going into the file properties.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Re: July 29, 2009 -- Death Just Grabbed Its Car Keys Off the Table
« Reply #53 on: August 03, 2009, 05:33:46 pm »

I have a ringtone where my phone vibrates and buzzes like it's really angry about something.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: July 29, 2009 -- Death Just Grabbed Its Car Keys Off the Table
« Reply #54 on: August 03, 2009, 06:15:11 pm »

Oh god, that reminds me. Saturday evening I put my cell on vibrate in case the Technical Staff called while I was out at a loud street concert with the pugs. You may recall my earlier complaints about never being able to reach him on his cell when he is out of town, so I didn't want to risk missing the call.  He didn't call, of course, because of some typical elaborate series of mishaps that left his phone inoperable.  So since the phone never vibrated, I never got a chance to be reminded it was set that way and turn it off.

So the next morning, I went outside to sit on the patio with my laptop, and the very instant that my butt hit the chair, the phone started to vibrate, and I thought I had sat on a HUGE buzzing stinging insect, so I LEAPED up screaming and dropped the computer on the other chair.

The computer seems to be fine, so this is funny. Holy shit, that 'vibrate' setting does not mess around.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: July 29, 2009 -- Death Just Grabbed Its Car Keys Off the Table
« Reply #55 on: August 03, 2009, 06:42:55 pm »

i have a clip of an instrumental latino/punkabilly song called 'malaguena' by the band calavera.  it looks like my blackberry wont let me use voice recorder notes as custom ringtones for specific contacts.  unless i havent figured out the trick, yet...
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: July 29, 2009 -- Death Just Grabbed Its Car Keys Off the Table
« Reply #56 on: August 03, 2009, 06:56:03 pm »

So the next morning, I went outside to sit on the patio with my laptop, and the very instant that my butt hit the chair, the phone started to vibrate, and I thought I had sat on a HUGE buzzing stinging insect, so I LEAPED up screaming and dropped the computer on the other chair.

The computer seems to be fine, so this is funny. Holy shit, that 'vibrate' setting does not mess around.

That sounds like it would have been really, really funny to see.

My phone is always on vibrate.  I'm in and out of courtrooms where you have to have the ringer turned off, plus I can't hear the dang thing ring when it's in my pocket anyway.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: July 29, 2009 -- Death Just Grabbed Its Car Keys Off the Table
« Reply #57 on: August 03, 2009, 07:35:01 pm »

I'm sure it was.  I really have a big problem with stinging buzzing insects. It was a sad waste that no one was watching.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

nDed

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 34
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 292
    • View Profile
Re: July 29, 2009 -- Death Just Grabbed Its Car Keys Off the Table
« Reply #58 on: August 03, 2009, 08:19:01 pm »

My ring tone is the Metal Gear codec alert because it sounds innocuous enough to normal people and allows me to identify nerds in public.

it's not working in the way where, Apple won't let me use just any old file as a ringtone.
.

Yeah, like Sr. Jorge said, you probably just have to set up your folder properties to display file extensions.
Logged
Love never blows up and gets killed.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: July 29, 2009 -- Death Just Grabbed Its Car Keys Off the Table
« Reply #59 on: August 03, 2009, 08:31:59 pm »

YES!

I think this just worked.

Except, I forgot, I never figured out how to get just the audio from keyboard cat. I'm sure i can find it easily, but I have to run to class right now.

So for now my ringtone is the opening guitar bit of "California Sun" (Ramones cover).
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up