Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Education.

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 41   Go Down

Author Topic: Good-Ass Sandwich  (Read 85398 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #225 on: July 14, 2010, 06:26:39 pm »

You hardboil 'em first, yes.

I don't want to imagine the kind of chemicals it would take to hardboil an egg without any heat.

Pour some of that on some turtles, you'd end up with ninjas of some kind.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #226 on: July 15, 2010, 03:48:24 pm »

Alls you need to make curds & whey is milk and vinegar.  The curds keep longer than raw milk.  Point being, it doesn't take powerful chemicals to preserve foodstuff.  Dehydrating and denaturing the proteins, with heat, acid, base, or salt are the fundamental ideas behind pickling, fermenting, corning, jerking, etc.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #227 on: July 15, 2010, 03:50:41 pm »

Yeah, you can definitely use acids to basically achieve the same effect as frying an egg so I don't see why leeching a raw egg in vinegar for long enough wouldn't have the same effect.
I don't know if you'd want the egg afterwards though.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #228 on: July 15, 2010, 10:16:55 pm »

I barely like them cooked - so yeah, I'm in agreement.

Anyone mentioning balut gets smacked.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #229 on: July 16, 2010, 02:45:19 pm »

cute, vaguely related side story:

I was over at my friend's house and her little boy and my dog where having fun, as my friend and I stepped inside the house.  Then the boy and dog joined us and the boy had something gooey on his hands, which he held out to my dog, and the dog sort of cringed.  There was sulfurous odor.  "What's on your hands?" my friend asks her son.  "The Easter Bunny!" he replies.  "What" she asks "What's on your hands?"  "The Easter Bunny!"  Me:  "Eggs?  Did you find eggs that fell from a nest?"  "Yeah!"  he says with a laugh.  This was followed by an intense session of hand washing by mom and child.  The boy comes out of the room, and I say "I bet you never though the Easter bunny would leave you fart-scented eggs!" (which he finds hilarious).
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #230 on: September 03, 2010, 03:20:36 am »

Made good-ass sandwiches tonight. A variation on the BLT -- here's how to build it, from the top down:

Sliced bread of choice, toasted (I used honey wheat)
Fresh spinach
salt and pepper to taste
Tomato, marinated for 30 minutes in a mixture of olive oil, dried basil, and dried parsley (I ate mine without)
Hot crispy bacon
fresh mozzarella, sliced
Sliced bread of choice, toasted

What I should have done is put the mozzarella on and stuck it back in the oven for 90 seconds after the initial toasting; my sandwich lacked the all-important meltiness factor. But it was still a good-ass sandwich, even without the tomato (which I'm sure is the centerpiece of the 'wich for those who can stand them).

I was inspired by the cover recipe on August 2007's Bon Appetit, which I discovered recently when I unboxed my collection of back issues and shelved them in my dining room. The original recipe requires some ingredients that are hard to find, not in the budget, or both, so I made this "poor man's" version and it turned out fantastic.

A+, would cook again.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #231 on: September 03, 2010, 01:53:14 pm »

I was inspired by the cover recipe on August 2007's Bon Appetit, which I discovered recently when I unboxed my collection of back issues and shelved them in my dining room. The original recipe requires some ingredients that are hard to find, not in the budget, or both, so I made this "poor man's" version and it turned out fantastic.

They can be a bit over the top at times with the budget.  I actually made this good-ass sandwich, but with both the ham and the cheese going for $14/pound and up, it damn well better be.  I also made this one, in which you put $14/pound imported Spanish cheese on HOT DOGS (I think it was from the same hunk of cheese as the serrano ham sandwiches).
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

TripperDay

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 9
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 46
    • View Profile
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #232 on: September 16, 2010, 10:22:26 pm »

How long are sun-dried tomatoes good for? I've had some for almost a year (opened and refrigerated) and I'm thinking about a meatloaf and sun dried tomato sandwich with extra meatloaf glaze for moisture and sandwich condiment.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #233 on: September 16, 2010, 10:31:46 pm »

This is your place to go for all such questions:
http://www.stilltasty.com/

They are a bit discouraging on your particular issue, I am afraid.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #234 on: September 16, 2010, 10:36:14 pm »

This is your place to go for all such questions:
http://www.stilltasty.com/

They are a bit discouraging on your particular issue, I am afraid.

If that isn't worth a can, well . . .

Well, too bad, cause it's getting a can all the same.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #235 on: September 17, 2010, 12:28:58 am »

They are a bit discouraging on your particular issue, I am afraid.

That's a shame, because that sandwich sounds super tasty. Visiting the grandparents tonight, crossing my fingers that meatloaf is on the menu.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #236 on: September 17, 2010, 05:57:21 am »

For bacon bits it's 13 years.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #237 on: October 21, 2010, 06:52:59 pm »

wheat bread, honey-roasted turkey (only 2 slices), 3 slices of Gouda, mayo, pickles.

It is mostly a gouda and pickle sandwich, and it is so good.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #238 on: July 06, 2011, 12:58:16 am »

So my new goal is to only go out to lunch a maximum of once a week, and I just bought a bunch of sandwich stuff. Just really basic shit, nothing fancier than this grainy honey garlic mustard (that I already had), but I just had one and homemade sandwiches are so good. So I say we get some more sandwich ideas posted here.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #239 on: July 06, 2011, 01:13:35 am »

Fuckin' Muenster and smoky Gouda, goddamn right.

We get this like 12- or 15- grain bread or some shit like that sometimes. I really like it, but my wife thinks it's too sweet. It is kinda sweet. It works for some stuff. It's made by "Dave's Killer Bread" - do you guys get that? He's kind of overstating the case with the name, though - he did a bunch of time for a pile of felonies (mostly drug raps and armed robbery), but he never killed anyone.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 41   Go Up