Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood It's National Johnny Cash Raise Hell Awareness Saturday Night. Go out and Fuck Shit Up in a Way That You Believe In!

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12   Go Down

Author Topic: Secret Santa  (Read 22099 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Secret Santa
« Reply #135 on: January 04, 2010, 07:23:04 pm »

I've developed kind of a low tolerance for great sentences that don't add up to great stories.  It's not that I don't appreciate a great sentence, because I do.  But I get bored admiring an author's stylistic pyrotechnics if it doesn't support plot or characterization. 

It's why I never finished William Gibson's last book and had to struggle through Idoru. 
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Secret Santa
« Reply #136 on: January 04, 2010, 07:56:46 pm »

These are nonfiction pieces, and they're not too long. In a novel I agree, it's not enough.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

bluemoon72

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 63
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 499
  • 2009 TOUAMB Newbie of the Year
    • View Profile
    • facebook friend me, muthafuckas
Re: Secret Santa
« Reply #137 on: January 04, 2010, 08:10:51 pm »

I've developed kind of a low tolerance for great sentences that don't add up to great stories.  It's not that I don't appreciate a great sentence, because I do.  But I get bored admiring an author's stylistic pyrotechnics if it doesn't support plot or characterization. 

It's why I never finished William Gibson's last book and had to struggle through Idoru. 

And I with DFW's Infinite Jest.  My patience for his brilliance was, sadly, finite.
Logged
Quit moanin' at me! What's in the box?

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Secret Santa
« Reply #138 on: January 04, 2010, 08:22:18 pm »

And I with DFW's Infinite Jest. 

Yeah, me too.  Although I do intend to make another stab at it.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Secret Santa
« Reply #139 on: January 04, 2010, 08:28:05 pm »

poor billy gibson. he doesn't want to write novels, i don't think. he wants to write paintings. paintings of a dyspeptic future wherein artificial sentience evolves of its own accord and hides itself.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: Secret Santa
« Reply #140 on: January 04, 2010, 09:44:55 pm »

It's a hamsa, just in case you find yourself needing to ward off the evil eye.

Brumski?
Logged

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Secret Santa
« Reply #141 on: January 05, 2010, 07:56:46 am »

And I with DFW's Infinite Jest.  My patience for his brilliance was, sadly, finite.

I thought that did kind of build to something, there are certainly repeating themes. In any case enough interesting characters lets me ignore less than cohesive plots. On the other hand I read a review somewhere with CFW saying he'd designed that book to be like a serpinski gasket. I'm not even sure how that's meant to make sense but it makes me want to read it again with a notebook. 
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Secret Santa
« Reply #142 on: January 06, 2010, 07:54:07 pm »

We could do a birthday exchange - draw names and have one person responsible for sending a birthday gift on behalf of the rest of the board. That would keep the fun going all year long.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Mr Trout

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65528
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 493
    • View Profile
Re: Secret Santa
« Reply #143 on: January 06, 2010, 08:26:45 pm »

ummm... I haven't gotten any surprises in the mail yet. But perhaps it was coming from overseas and got held up in customs? I guess I shouldn't have requested those bestiality videos.
Logged

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Re: Secret Santa
« Reply #144 on: January 06, 2010, 08:38:05 pm »

ummm... I haven't gotten any surprises in the mail yet. But perhaps it was coming from overseas and got held up in customs? I guess I shouldn't have requested those bestiality videos.

I may have reported you to the authorities for sending an obviously deadly poison to my home.
Logged

Mr Trout

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65528
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 493
    • View Profile
Re: Secret Santa
« Reply #145 on: January 06, 2010, 08:41:24 pm »

...obviously deadly poison...

You know, I'm actually not sure whether you are talking about the movies or the whiskey.
Logged

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Secret Santa
« Reply #146 on: January 06, 2010, 08:42:10 pm »

Has this thing wrapped or are there more surprises to be posted?

as far as i know, my gift is waiting to be recieved.  its troubling because i shipped it on 12/18 and it was headed to neighboring state..... :(


also, i vote for the birthday surprise idea.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Re: Secret Santa
« Reply #147 on: January 06, 2010, 08:44:26 pm »

You know, I'm actually not sure whether you are talking about the movies or the whiskey.

The "whiskey". The movies are awesome. :)
Logged

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Secret Santa
« Reply #148 on: January 06, 2010, 09:13:00 pm »

as far as i know, my gift is waiting to be recieved.  its troubling because i shipped it on 12/18 and it was headed to neighboring state..... :(


also, i vote for the birthday surprise idea.
I have it dude, I'll post pictures tomorrow.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Secret Santa
« Reply #149 on: January 06, 2010, 10:25:25 pm »

Has this thing wrapped or are there more surprises to be posted?

BTW: Good Job people. This was fun.

Will a follow on list be made available so I can mail people random stuff when the urge strikes me? I know that was discussed earlier, but am hazy on the resolution.

Everyone give porkin a hand-can for doing the scut work, while you're here.

Thanks.

We still have a couple of people who haven't received their gifts yet, but I have been assured that the fix is in on those.

I was waiting for this gift exchange to be over to publish the list of addresses (by pm of course), but seeing as how that hasn't happened yet (ahem), I'll probably start a thread on it later today or tomorrow. Those of you who expressed interest are already on the list, the rest will be able to sign up once I start the thread.
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12   Go Up