Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood It's National Johnny Cash Raise Hell Awareness Saturday Night. Go out and Fuck Shit Up in a Way That You Believe In!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Lady The Gaga  (Read 11186 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Lady The Gaga
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2009, 03:10:50 pm »

I write poetry for a greeting card company.

I have written sincere poetry in the past, but the stuff I submit for the greeting cards is the kind of poetry I generally despise: unrhymed, unstructured free verse with arbitrary line breaks and a lot of Feelings.

But I'm good at it. I have a knack for finding a rhythm that works and an unusual angle on common events for which people often send cards. I can churn out a poem in 20 minutes, and if it's accepted, I get a check for $300 (eventually). I haven't written personal poetry in years, and the only reason I started up again was to make money.

So my question for you is, am I cashing in or selling out?
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Lady The Gaga
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2009, 03:13:32 pm »

whichever it is, i care not. you rock on, jay-ell.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Lady The Gaga
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2009, 03:32:38 pm »

I can churn out a poem in 20 minutes, and if it's accepted, I get a check for $300 (eventually).

Holy crap!  Where do I sign up?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Lady The Gaga
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2009, 03:54:38 pm »

I write poetry for a greeting card company.

I have written sincere poetry in the past, but the stuff I submit for the greeting cards is the kind of poetry I generally despise: unrhymed, unstructured free verse with arbitrary line breaks and a lot of Feelings.

But I'm good at it. I have a knack for finding a rhythm that works and an unusual angle on common events for which people often send cards. I can churn out a poem in 20 minutes, and if it's accepted, I get a check for $300 (eventually). I haven't written personal poetry in years, and the only reason I started up again was to make money.

So my question for you is, am I cashing in or selling out?

That is just working for a living.

Is this Blue Mountain Arts? I have looked at their website on occasion and been very sad that I have no idea how to write that kind of thing.

Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

bluemoon72

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 63
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 499
  • 2009 TOUAMB Newbie of the Year
    • View Profile
    • facebook friend me, muthafuckas
Re: Lady The Gaga
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2009, 04:33:30 pm »

I write poetry for a greeting card company.
...
So my question for you is, am I cashing in or selling out?

Agreed with Wombat; that's just business.  No worries there.  If you changed your personal art to make money, that's perhaps a different story.  But this poetry that you write for the cards, that's not your heart and soul on the page, your blood and your children sold for netflix money. 
Logged
Quit moanin' at me! What's in the box?

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Lady The Gaga
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2009, 04:38:32 pm »

Holy crap!  Where do I sign up?


Is this Blue Mountain Arts? I have looked at their website on occasion and been very sad that I have no idea how to write that kind of thing.


Yes.

I should note here, however, that while I have had some stuff accepted for market testing, none of it has come out the other end yet, for better or for worse. It's apparently a two-year process. But it's pretty good money if you're not interested in keeping the rights to your stuff at all.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: Lady The Gaga
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2009, 02:58:05 am »

I've hit the point in my life where I can pretty much have anything playing on my radio, as long as I like it.

I'm worried less and less about cred or style.   I can listen to a Lady Gaga, or a Minus 5.   

The terms "indy" and "sell out" are all pretty much B.S.   Music is commercial, and everyone you can hear on the radio has sold out.

The Fame Monster is pretty good.   It's going to be rad to clean the house to.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Lady The Gaga
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2009, 03:51:03 am »

I should note here, however, that while I have had some stuff accepted for market testing, none of it has come out the other end yet, for better or for worse. It's apparently a two-year process. But it's pretty good money if you're not interested in keeping the rights to your stuff at all.

Interesting, I had no idea greeting cards were so complicated.

That is pretty good money for sure. I get paid $300 for an 800 word article that requires interviewing several people, and I also have to sell the rights. Although on the bright side I don't have to wait for market testing.

Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Lady The Gaga
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2009, 03:54:45 am »

all i can picture is jay-ell at a desk in an office with seth green in a wheelchair, ridiculing her work.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Lady The Gaga
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2009, 07:56:22 am »

I guess I had not heard Lady Gaga, because the other day I heard a song and was told that it was her. I HATE HER TO HELL.

I do not really listen to the radio, because I hate everything on the radio except:
KWUR 90.3 FM, the radio station I work at
KZQZ 1430 AM, the greatest Golden Oldies station in the world. Unfortunately they have started playing a lot less old country stuff, which was the best.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 08:00:48 am by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Lady The Gaga
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2009, 08:00:00 am »

all i can picture is jay-ell at a desk in an office with seth green in a wheelchair, ridiculing her work.

canned

I guess I had not heard Lady Gaga, because the other day I heard a song and was told that it was her. I HATE HER TO HELL.

i think that creepystalker song of hers on the radio(ill make you love me,etc...) is good for strangling puppies to.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Lady The Gaga
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2009, 08:22:01 am »

today I came home and my little sister wanted to talk to me about music. I think I did a good job of pretending that I don't hate that Owl City song. I told her she should borrow my brother's Postal Service CD if she wants to hear more music that sounds like that.

she had also been listening to this random CD that I apparently left sitting on my desk. Which is cute.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

rowboat

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -2666
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 180
    • View Profile
    • The Rats and People Motion Picture Orchestra
Re: Lady The Gaga
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2009, 09:24:38 pm »

KZQZ 1430 AM, the greatest Golden Oldies station in the world. Unfortunately they have started playing a lot less old country stuff, which was the best.
Unfortunately, KZQZ doesn't just play less classic country, but have completely switched formats (and owners, I believe) and now rarely play any. Still, it's probably the best oldies station I've ever heard. It's almost like underground oldies. Lot of shit I've never heard, which is rare for that kind of station. One of the few perks of AM, I guess. You can play shit that maybe not everyone will like and get away with it.
Logged
PS  I got shot by Ray again

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Lady The Gaga
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2009, 10:31:22 pm »

also they play like one actual commercial per hour.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Lady The Gaga
« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2009, 04:20:20 am »

also they play like one actual commercial per hour.

This is one of the reasons I always like WNRN. They play 58 minutes of music an hour.
Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up