Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Do you love saying "Canadian bacon"?

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: The Pitt of Despair  (Read 9494 times)

wombat

• English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 633
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
The Pitt of Despair
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2009, 10:14:23 pm »

Interesting point and I wonder if it's a question of what you are used to. This reminds of comic books with a style of art where everyone is always overreacting and yelling about the least little thing. They always put me off, but it's clear that it's a genre. The comics I read don't fall into that genre, so the art seems harsh and unpleasant to me.

But, that doesn't make it bad. If that's the effect he's going for, he's doing a good job of it, I'm just not his target audience.
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jaydub

• VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: The Pitt of Despair
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2009, 11:31:19 pm »

Wait - a color-blind graphic artist?  Does that work?
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Choop

• LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2009, 12:01:14 am »

the comic is in black and white, jaydub.
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

AugustWest

• Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 763
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2009, 01:31:00 am »

I'll just jump on the bandwagon and agree with LFM.  I liked the art.  I liked the writing.  Something was bugging me and keeping me from fully digging the comic as a whole and I think Li'l Falzmetz expressed the trouble well.
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jaydub

• VIP
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2009, 02:21:11 am »

Der.  He's in school to be a graphic artist however (or was, apparently). 

jay-ell

• Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2009, 02:23:51 am »

Past tense. And yes, it's a definite handicap, which is probably why he's trying to focus on his writing at the moment.
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

littlefallsmets

• Writer's Workshoppers
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2009, 05:37:01 am »

Now that I am writing after work, not on lunch with my broken "v" and "b" keys having to cut-and-paste them in to make any sense, keyboard periperhal plugged-in... it's like in the Scott McCloud book, right? "Understanding Comics". Everyone even slightly nerdish has read that, right?

You simplify to draw people into identifying with your characters, "oh I went to art school like him, I was totally pregnant once like here" and you edge toward photorealism to underline the specificity of the character's experience "wow, this is totally this one person's life and I am getting to look in on that, that's rad". Either approach could totally work with the whole "slice of life" approach that your kin is going with.

But the whole "super-charicature of super-specific people" thing, which don't get me wrong, I like in a vacuum outside of the context of the strip's concept, sort of manages to fall in a valley between those two approaches and ends up with few of the expressive advantages of either and many of both of their flaws. Total bizarro-venn-diagram of what I think he's going for with the story and characters.

Womblet is full-on that this style... exaggerated, shaggy, bulbous and jaded... would totally work for a strip where people scream at each other about popular culture. Which isn't a bad thing, either, those few times it is done well. It would also work for a story about characters who are totally surrounded with wonder but ignore it all because of their petty self-obsesssions. This would also be a great style for a strip about, like, a dude working at the last Barnes and Nobles after the Rapture, having to kill mutants and wizards with a zap gun as a matter of daily course but only seeing value in his quest to climb to assistant manager at the bookstore.

But for such an essentially gentle story about a dude trying to get a simple life earned more or less the right way... I just feels lke it begs a siimple universality or a fairly strict trueness-to-life.
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

CortJstr

• Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 337
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
    • Rarely updated random quotes
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2009, 03:18:38 pm »

Now that I am writing after work, not on lunch with my broken "v" and "b" keys having to cut-and-paste them in to make any sense, keyboard periperhal plugged-in...

You should try the On-Screen Keyboard. I think it's built into all versions of XP. Look in the Accessibility menu. Clicking letters is a hassle but it sound less annoying than what you were doing.

littlefallsmets

• Writer's Workshoppers
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2009, 10:03:58 pm »

can'd for tech support!

pmcd9

• Mod Squad
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 604
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2009, 12:30:32 am »

I didn't really care for it, sorry. 

I like biographical comics, Harvey Pekar comes to mind, love his stuff.  Your cousin's life however bored me to tears.

I don't have a beef with his artistic style either, but he does draw really ugly people, especially the women.
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

littlefallsmets

• Writer's Workshoppers
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2009, 05:55:56 am »

JL: did you ever run our thoughts by your in-law there?

did we help him out at all?

jaydub

• VIP
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2009, 06:08:50 am »

While in no way impugning your SIL's attractiveness, after seeing her in pics on Facebook, I've gotta say Gabe nailed her in his characterization.  Um - so to speak.

jay-ell

• Den Mother
  • VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2009, 03:53:24 pm »

We talked about it briefly at Thanksgiving, and he appreciates your thoughts. He readily admits that he's learning a lot from this experience, and may incorporate some of your/my suggestions into the Pitt, and may take some of them to heart in designing future projects.

Incidentally, I don't think I mentioned this before, but the title is a play on where he lives -- Pitt County, NC. Which I thought was a bit clever, particularly since he doesn't really like it there.
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

jay-ell

• Den Mother
  • VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 25, 2009, 02:06:57 pm »

Also, the Pit of Despair (he changed the spelling earlier this week with his website redesign) is on Facebook as "The Face of Despair". Gabe is running a fan drive - he wants to get 100 facebook fans before the end of February, at which point POD will become a comic strip about a baby.

So if for those of you who liked the strip, I'd encourage you to participate.

Arachno-capitalist

• Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 25, 2009, 03:48:55 pm »

You should try the On-Screen Keyboard. I think it's built into all versions of XP. Look in the Accessibility menu. Clicking letters is a hassle but it sound less annoying than what you were doing.
Yeah im still doing this now when I dont have keyboard plugged into my lappy. Except when Im playing some fullscreen multiplayer and the only way I can communicate is like: "Sorry 6uys my key8oard is 8roken. All of 7he keys down from 7he #five are dead. SNIPER ON 7HE ROOF." And then I just look dumb.
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up